Anyone listen to the old radio plays?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by andrew320 • Aug 8, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    For the past few weeks, my fiancee and I have been listening to the old radio plays from the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. It's fantastic stuff and I enjoy listening to James Cagney, Cary Grant and Joseph Cotten do their thing. I don't know anyone my age (18-29), who listens to this stuff. It's always older people I work with who understand.

Anyway, does anyone on here listen to this stuff?

2. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I have! It's a nice way to do something new. Last year durning the holidays I heard the original radio interview Joan Crawford made at Christmas with her children. It's amazing listening to something that aired before you were born.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't listened to them in years! It is pretty amazing how radio back in those days had the ability to let you use your mind to see what was happening. That is a lost art now so I am glad that folks are rediscovering it again.

4. Terri

TerriMember

Threads:
    I love to listen to old radio plays... when I was younger my mom used to record episodes of "Adventures in Odyssey". It was a children's radio show that focused on family values in a Christian setting. I loved the stories and the sound effects (foley) that they would do. Later, that got me to trying to listen to other radio play programs. I've started writing scripts and even searching for companies that are hiring writers for radio plays. When I saw this topic, I almost pooped myself. Lol (j/k) But seriously, I got really excited when I saw this, because not many people I know listen to radio plays. Great post topic, in my opinion.... Mmhm... *nods*

5. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I think the earliest that I could listen to is the times of The Beatles. the 1960s. I was not born yet during that time but my father was. He is a huge Beatle fan and I grown up listening to their songs so maybe that is the reason why I am also a Beatle fan. Interestingly enough, after I heard some more songs from the 1960s, I more likely to listen to it that the new generation of hit songs right now.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    There are real gems from that time era...especially with music. I used to listen to a lot of it with my gran as a child and then later, my best-friend started working within the music arena...and introduced me to even more golden oldies. That was a great time for music. I have not listened to music from those periods in a while, perhaps I should. Thank you for the reminder.

7. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    For anyone interested in listening to some fantastic old radio shows, be sure to check out some YouTube channels: PBDS, tallahdahling and ontheradiotonight

8. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I listened to a tape of the historic radio show War of the Worlds, which was quite the broadcast back when it first was on the airwaves.
    I also had a few records of the old Shadow radio show. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows! I think the radio shows were better than the books.
    Ryder13