Anyone make their own clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Hedonologist • Jan 7, 2014.

1. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I know there must be quite a few knitters on here, so I was wondering how many of you make your own clothes from scratch. If so, do you save any money by doing it with raw materials? I assume most do it for the enjoyment of it, but I had thought there might be savings to be made too!

2. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I could make my and kids cloths, when my sister and I were growing up my aunt use to make our cloths and it was so convenient for us to have whatever we wanted to wear. I have my kids taking home meck at school so that they can learn a new trait.

3. kristinaw

kristinawNew Member

Threads:
    I don't make my own clothes from scratch, but I do tailor my clothes by myself at home. I know how to sew, so that makes things much easier and cheaper for me. I get the perfect fit without having to pay the dry cleaners!

4. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I would love to make clothes for my family. It would be so much cheaper and easier to get the kinds of clothes I like and want. I took the home ec class in middle school and made a few items but never did anymore than that. I really should get back into doing it.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that unless you're a tailor or a knitter, then a layman can't really make their own clothes. But during home economics class, we were asked to make an apron as a project, so technically I was able to make one, but apart from that, I have not made any clothes from scratch.

6. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I don't make my own clothes but I have known people to edit there clothes in a way. I mean just adding different things to their clothes, to their liking. I can understand people doing that, because sometimes you get something that you think has something missing and you just want to add a touch here or there making it perfect for yourself. I have always wanted to do something like that, but I am too cautious and I feel like I would ruin my clothing doing that.

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I crochet some of my clothes, mainly accessories such as hats, scarves, etc. They are easy to crochet and don't take a lot of time. Also, they cost less than what you get in the store.

NEW-Classic-Mens-Knitted-Slouch-font-b-Crochet-b-font-font-b-Beanies-b-font-Hat. Favorite Crochet Pattern

8. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Even though I know how to make clothes, I just never have the time to make them. It's just way too convenient to go out and buy them instead. I do however sew and repair my own torn clothes. I never throw away clothes unless they are torn beyond repair.

9. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    How many hours would it take you to make something like the picture?
    I'd love to learn but I'm afraid that will be too much of a time sink and I have to do many many hours to be able to make anything worthwhile.

10. zestytomato

zestytomatoNew Member

Threads:
    I crochet mostly winter items for myself, friends, and family. I like to crochet as I am given full control over what the final product looks like. I can choose the colors I want, and most importantly the size. I'm one of those people whose head is too big for medium hats, yet cannot fit a large hat, so I guess you can also say the crocheting my own items is also a necessity!

11. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    If I could, I would! I could imagine the huge savings I'll be doing when I make my own clothes. But maybe someday I will. I still dream of having my own clothing line.

12. Dylansmom

DylansmomNew Member

Threads:
    I wish I could make my own clothes. Especially since it's hard to buy off the rack for certain items since they never quite fit right and need to be altered in some way. I'm also rather lazy and don't think I would have the patience to make my own clothes to be honest. Ha!

13. qaximor

qaximorNew Member

Threads:
    If going into zazzle.com and adding pictures that I designed or pictures that I took from the internet and adding them into shirts or hoodies count then yes haha.

14. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't mean all their own clothes, but mainly things like socks etc. I know you can get them very cheap these days, but they probably wouldn't last very long. I have a ton of wool and it would be a shame to see it all go to waste. Unfortunately my knitting skills extend only to the slipknot and casting on.

15. zestytomato

zestytomatoNew Member

Threads:
    Don't worry! There's tons of knitting tutorials on Youtube, or you can check

, or

!

Currently

is picking up some popularity and is pretty easy to do, and I suggest you check it out as well!

16. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I think my question is how do you get started? Is sewing and stitching an easy process to learn on your own or from YouTube? I have a mini sewing machine and I've always wanted to make my own clothes, but I'm clueless as how to start!

Any advice/tips appreciated.

17. Mercvry

MercvryBanned

Threads:
    I do not. I would really like to become more DIY though.

18. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    No. I do not make my own clothes, but my mom does. It always amazed me how she would take a long sheet of fabric, and make an entire outfit out of it. She tried to teach me how, but i guess i didn't have the gift to do it, or at least the attention span to learn.

19. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I was very tempted in the past to try crocheting my own clothes, but then at that time, we still lived in a very hot place, so there's really no place for anything crocheted. Also, I realized that yarn is also rather expensive so I think it won't really save you much if you make your own clothes, unless of course you are trying to recycle certain materials or you are plain and simple repurposing certain pieces.

20. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I'm longing to become a fashion designer sometime in the future. Probably not anytime soon, but it's always been a dream of mine to create my own clothes.

I don't have experience with making my own clothes, but it would be so convenient to know how. You wouldn't need to buy expensive clothes at the malls, because you already know costing for fabrics and materials and you can simply make the same design.

Knowing how to make your own clothes would be perfect for fashion lovers. They can practically make their own closet!