Anyone own their own restaurant? How do you make money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by CSomm • Aug 31, 2014.

1. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    I own my own restaurant, and I'm always looking for money saving tips, since this is truly a nickel and dime business. Probably the biggest money saver I've found is Sam's Club, where I frequently run into other local business owners---They really often have untouchable prices on higher profit items (cans of soda pop, meats, etc) and I've also been able to work with my foodservice distributor to get daily food trucks, which really cuts down on food waste and keeps my product freshness very high.

Anyone have any other good tips?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you selling sodas by the can/bottle? You should check with your local Coke or Pepsi distributors about getting fountain drinks instead. I never owned my own restaurant, but I've worked at many. I think per drink, soda from the fountain only cost about 15-20 cents, and you can sell them for like $2 each. Instead of buying cases of pop, you just buy a case of the soda syrup and a tank of gas to carbonate the water. You will need the soda fountain too obviously.

It's kind of hard to brainstorm suggestions though without knowing what type of food you are selling and the format of your restaurant (fine dining? takeout? casual?). If there is a GFS in your area (Gordon Food Service) I would check them out too, plus they don't require any sort of membership. But they have lots of bulk food items, and food products at good prices. I often go there when am throwing a large party and catering the food myself.