Anyone shop at Sav-A-Lot?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by TNSabrina • Aug 31, 2012.

1. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    I was wondering what everybody thinks about Sav-A-Lot. I have one not too far from my home, and it seems to be cheap. However, I was wondering if anyone has experience purchasing the meat specifically and if it is of good quality. If the meat is a good deal, then it might be worth making the trip for me. You can view their sale ads online, and they seem to offer some really good deals on can and frozen foods. Some things appear to be generic, but there were some name brands as well.

2. xStylezx

xStylezxMember

Threads:
    There is one here locally where I stay with my Aunt. They have about the cheapest prices around here. As far as meat quality goes, I honestly haven't been able to tell the difference from them or say Walmart myself. There may be others with different opinions, but Sav-A-Lot gets a thumbs up from me!

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't have one nearby any more.

I used to shop there, though. They had the best frozen burritos at one time, but they switched brands, too. :( I love that they're really cheap, but still clean and have quality ingredients.

4. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    We have a local Sav-A-Lot. They get in a lot of their products based on being able to get them at a lower price, so they pass it along. You may not find the same brand one visit to the next, but they generally do have some regular items, and at a good price. If they're close to you, it's worth it to try them out. And if you find something you're really crazy about, buy several; it may not be there next trip.

5. TNSabrina

TNSabrinaMember

Threads:
    Thanks everyone for all the info! I think I am going to go there for my next shopping trip. Meat prices are extremely high now days and we have been eating a lot of chicken lately. I would love it if they offer some cheap beef deals! I looked at their online sales ads, and I was shocked! They are offering Butterball turkey bacon for one dollar and chicken nuggets in a 10 for 10 deals. You cannot beat that price! I guess they are getting large qualities for cheap prices to be able to sell everything so cheap.

If they except coupons on name brands, then a person could save even more.

6. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I have one in my city. And I shop there all the time. They have branded and non branded things in there. Their meat is like any other stores meat. I have never gotten sick by eating meat from there. It's no different from Winn Dixie or the Kroger. One thing is some Save a lot stores make you pay for the bags. It's a regular clean store, they were really cheap at first. But they get more and more new items and name branded items they have gone up on the prices.

7. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    To be honest, I hate this store and find it to be quite different than mentioned about. I have been to several in the charleston, sc area and found old looking meats and vegetables with mold. The stores were not clean either. You need to watch dates in this store as many products will be close to their sell by date. I also hate that they are only located in poorer areas, because I feel the poor need good grocery stores too and this store is not it.

8. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Looks like mixed reviews on the store. I have to say, I have never shopped at a Sav-a-Lot. So the information is very interesting. Thanks very much

9. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Oh Wow! You should report this store, because the one in my city is very clean and the food is fresh every time I go there. The people may just be too lazy to clean and keep up the store with fresh produce.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oh my, peebs. That sounds awful. Is it in a bad area of town? I would report them, too, because even if you avoid it yourself, I bet a lot of others aren't and that's not safe at all.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have these in South Florida. Too bad, because I love a bargain. I've never heard of Sav A Lot. Must be a regional thing. I agree that Peebs should report the nasty, unsanitary Sav A Lots they saw, because someone could get sick or die if they eat food that has mold on it.

12. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Their meat has always been good quality when I've bought it. No complaints at all.

13. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    I too would like to be able to shop at Sav a Lot, but there isn't one near where we live. In fact, I've only seen one about an hour's drive from us-I would think if it really has lots of good deals that there would be more of them in the area. I like the store's image-it seems to be a down-home type of place....do you bag your own groceries there?

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have shopped at Sav-A-Lot stores but we do not have one close to where I now live. The prices are good, if there was one close by I would still go to it. It is similar to Aldi's.

15. dmm2702

dmm2702New Member

Threads:
    I shop at the one that is close to us and have been able to save a lot of money. The meat in our store is of good quality. I would try it out.

16. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    They are all located in lower income areas and several are ones where they are the only grocer surrounded by poor people with no transportation. By the way they are in this area, I consider them a store that preys on poor people. I no longer live in this area and did send an email to corporate with no response. I would never shop there again regardless of if it was nice or not. I feel their is no excuse for not even replying with a form letter.

17. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    I grew up on Sav-A-Lot foods! My mom was single and trying to feed numerous kids so it helped our family tremendously. The meat is no different from the regular grade stuff you buy at Walmart. Of course it's probably not considered "high quality", but honestly who can afford high quality meats 7 days a week? I would say it's always important to examine produce before buying it anywhere you go, and always make sure you wash your fruits and veggies before eating them, but that's the case for any place. They also sell items you can stock your kid's lunchbox with for cheap, like off-brand pudding, fruit snacks, and juice boxes. Very family friendly!