Anyone Still Using Desktops?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Sunflogun • Jun 24, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    The idea I have is that a big percentage of people uses laptops or other devices and that desktops are mainly used by companies. Anyone here still using a desktop for personal use? Why do you prefer it over a laptop?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never possessed a desktop. Even before I got myself a laptop, tablet and smartphone, I used to go to public places such as the library and internet cafes to access the internet. It's hard to believe that that was only 5 years ago. These days I heavily rely on my mobile gadgets for my work.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still use a desktop. It's got plenty of life left in it yet and when it does expire, I'll likely buy a laptop but for now, the desktop is fine at home and my smartphone is sufficent for browsing outside the home.

4. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    I bought a desktop last year on September, and the thing is a beast. I do have a laptop as well but I tend to use the desktop more often because it has a bigger screen, very comfortable to view and do tasks. I also occasionally game on it.

Laptop is just for basic reading emails and news. That's pretty much it. +1 for laptop being portable.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only real advantage to laptops is that they are portable. I have one but that's all they are really for. I do most of my browsing on the desktop. You can game on a laptop although not as heavily.

6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't used a desktop in a good few years, but that is mainly down to the fact that I enjoy the freedom that a laptop brings me, I can take it almost anywhere with me.

I still have a desktop that is currently sitting in the corner of my room and I'd have no qualms about setting it up and using it if my laptop breaks down.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still own a desktop computer. It has a lot of important files on it, however it is still Windows XP, and it is really slow and laggy and frustrating. It till works. I tend to stick to my laptop for every day use, but there are still times that I find myself going back to using my desktop.

8. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Desktops still have their place, particularly for gaming, laptops aren't particularly suitable for that. The large monitor of a desktop is also a bonus for watching video. I've solely owned a laptop for many years now, the portability aspect of them makes them a winner. I'm so used to laptops now that i don't feel any need to own a desktop but they are still important. It all depends on the individuals particular requirements.

9. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I had a desktop eventually 15-20 years ago, but it become totally obsolete. After that it simply made no sense to buy another one because one thing I appreciate the most about my laptop is that I can move it anywhere, something impossible with a desktop obviously.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have and use a desktop daily. I also have a laptop, but that one is having issues, and is older and pretty heavy, so it's more practical for me to jump on the desktop when I need a larger screen. I use my iPod touch for basic wifi tasks such as checking email and using Twitter.

11. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I have both laptop and desktop, and guess what? I love both to the same extent, they never get old nor disappoint me. What's even more interesting, is that I tend to favoritize more my desktop PC in the detriment of the laptop even thoguh it doesn't offer the same flexibility. I'm a graphics designer and must fulfill orders in a specified deadline, and trust me that a laptop will never be able to offer the same outstanding performance as a desktop does.

12. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer my desktops mainly because I can't forget where it is; I won't lose it or leave it somewhere; someone would have to break into my house to steal it and not my vehicle or rip me off while I'm walking down the street. I'd have to intentionally drop it to break it, at least one part of it. If you drop a laptop it's basically useless.

13. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    I never use a desktop anymore because I prefer to sit wherever I want to versus being stuck at a desk. It's just a matter or comfort and convenience for me.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still use a desktop. It's not because I have some special preference for desktops it's just at the time I bought it was cheaper than a laptop. But when I replace the old machine soon, I'll still get another desktop because they have a longer lifespan than laptops. And they are easier to upgrade too.

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Laptops are great for portability, but desktops trounce them in just about every other category, including hardware, customization, and features. You're going to pay a hefty premium for a laptop that matches a desktop's specifications, and then you don't get the customization or raw computing power. I use a laptop because I'm constantly on the go, but it's stupid for anyone to think that desktops are outdated relics.

16. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Mac desk top, yes. My hubby uses it for photo-editing. Children se it for Mathletics and Spellodrome, and YouTube academy. I use my laptop for working and studying. Soemtimes for watchiing movies on DVDs. It's great to have access with the internet through thses tecnology. akes life o learning easier and more fun.

17. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    The motherboard of my desktop was fried and thus I switched over to laptop. It's true that your laptop offers a lot of convenience plus the portability factor. However, I still like desktops with i7 processors. I still play games, watch movies, and stream live football and tennis matches. I never like to miss any of the grand slam events. Desktops with their big screens allow me to watch from a distance.

I somehow feel aggrieved to listen to the talk that desktops are on the way out.

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I do find that desktops are much better when it comes to gaming. I used to play a lot of CSI games, and when I tried to install some of these older games - that I had burned to ISO format on a DVD disc - on my newer laptop, I found that they did not perform as well.

19. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Except in emergency situations, I haven’t used a desktop for non-work use since I got my first laptop. I have nothing against desktops, and I don’t think they’ll be going away anytime soon, but I do love the portability of laptops. They do have their drawbacks though, many of which have been listed in this thread. But hey, I’m still a fan of the one I’ve got.

20. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I bough my home desktop ten years ago and it is still going strong! I paid about $1000 for it at the time and put in another $200 since then. I spend the money on the important things like a good motherboard and processor.
    That trusty thing helped me finish college and I use it daily.
    I just like it better than a laptop, I hate laptop keyboards.