Anyone Still Using Desktops?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Sunflogun • Jun 24, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes we have 2 desktop pc's at home. I think everyone must have at least 1, since when it malfunctions it's easier to fix and diagnose than a laptop. And if it gets broken, at least you still have an intact LCD monitor to use and you just get another desktop pc. They are quite cheaper than laptops too.

2. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if they are easier to fix than a laptop, why do you say that sidney? To get a desktop fixed we need to have specific knowledge or hardware or else it will just sit there broken.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Sunflogun@Sunflogun, What kind do you use now by the way? Because if you use a desktop pc, after months or maybe a year of using it, it will not boot but it will emit a beeping sound. Then when that happens I just clean the RAM with eraser and reseat the RAM. After that my pc works fine again. So sometimes, a pc will not boot because the RAM is dirty, so when a laptop won't boot then I don't think you can easily take the RAM to clean it, right?

4. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I have not used a desktop in a long while. It is ideal when you are settled at one place and have no need to travel a lot. For me, I have used a laptop since I was in High School. The need to be mobile means that I have to use it more. I opted out of using a tablet since I want to be able to game on my laptop. So I got the one with good enough spec to handle my games too.

5. ruiyi605

ruiyi605New Member

Threads:
    Love the portability of the laptops, but I'm still a big fan of desktop. Because desktop has larger keyboard and wider screen, better for me to watch entertainment shows. What's more, desktop requires me to sit while when using laptop, I usually lay down on my bed, not good for maintaining eyesight!

6. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    I am using a laptop and I never heard of the RAM being dirty, what do you mean by that? My laptop has had overheating issues and I need to clean it, but I never had issues with the RAM memory. I upgraded it recently and they looked as good as new.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Sunflogun@Sunflogun, So when you clean your laptop, do you have to take each part one by one? My cousin who knows how to troubleshoot pc's told me about cleaning and reseating the RAM. Because after sometime they gather dust inside and needs to be cleaned. Even in Youtube some troubleshooting videos suggest users to clean their RAM first if their pc won't boot.

8. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    As a college student, it makes no sense to have a desktop at this point in my life. I can't take it to class or use it in the library. However, I want to get a nice desktop later in my life. I want a nice desktop that can play triple A games. If I can put it together myself, it will cost me around a thousand dollars. I can't afford that now, but I hopefully can later!

9. Christina Rivers

Christina RiversNew Member

Threads:
    The desktop in my opinion is still the easiest way to fill out forms, keep logs of documents, and holds more data. I have a tablet, and have had more difficulties on it vs. my desktop.

10. Yosh

YoshActive Member

Threads:
    I use my desktop a lot, although it's mainly for gaming use. It's much easier to use a laptop for daily use though. It's just convenient!

11. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    When I cleaned my laptop I just opened some of the parts in the back and cleaned it with a compressor, never even touched where the RAM memory is. When I upgraded it the RAM plaques were as good as new.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have a desktop but I'm starting to wish that I had a laptop because at this point every other business in my area has free WiFi, so I could be doing productive work anywhere instead of waiting until I get home.
    I might still buy a laptop at some point, because I'm envious of all the people at the coffee shop that surf the internet for free. My desktop comes with a monthly DSL internet bill.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess desktops are here to stay for a decade at least. Offices require desktops because it is stationary in nature. On the other hand, I had been issued a laptop for my official use since I need a portable due to the nature of my job. I have 3 offices physically separated and I am on the go almost every day.

14. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using a desktop machine right now. The closest thing I've ever had to a 'mobile computer' (like a laptop, iPad, iPod, etc.) is the flip-phone I have now.

I'm kind of a klutz ... not constantly dropping things or on a rampage of destruction; but--when I get too familiar with the devices one might handle (contact lenses, drumsticks, eggs, glassware)--I get 'too cautious too fast' and slip-up somewhere (& you can only crack that egg once ... oh, maybe there'll be other eggs; but 'it'll cost you!')

So it's best for everyone if 'the expensive equipment' stays stationary. That, and I spent my childhood in 'old school'---where you go to the "computer-lab or -room" to operate on the computer/Internet. That habit stuck with me even AFTER public libraries started stationing computers throughout the 'lobbies' & 'shelves.'

15. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    If I had a big place I would not have an issue with having a desktop. Having a small place and only one computer, it's for me very important that it's a laptop, not only to optimize space, but also to carry it to where I need it.

16. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Now that I see your post, I'm really not bothered by having a big Desktop PC and a rather little space. I'm not claustrophobic, haha. But now I guess it varies from person to person, because to the looks of it many are indeed bothered. Oh, well...

17. xpictoc

xpictocNew Member

Threads:
    As a desktop enthusiast, I prefer the modularity of a desktop PC. Recently, I decided that I wanted a new GPU, an additional 8 GB of RAM and a new Samsung SSD to replace my old one. It's as easy as ordering the components for a good price online and swapping out the pieces. I also own a decent laptop which is much less future-proof because it's hard to impossible to upgrade certain components such as the GPU.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I sure do. I use one at home with multiple screens. While it was primarily for gaming and working in the past, I still enjoy having the power and space of a fully desktop instead of having to use a tiny little mobile device or laptop instead.

19. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    I'm currently using a desktop which I've been upgrading semi-regularly in the past few years. Honestly, I feel like they won't be obsolete anytime soon, as they are much more customizable. I'm looking forward to buying a laptop in the next couple of months though, as I will be leaving home and I will need something to carry with me. It won't be as useful as my desktop but it shall do.

20. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I understand that it's easier to customize a desktop than a laptop, but let's face it, how many people customize their desktops? Not that many. More, laptops are getting cheaper and cheaper, so it's really convenient to get one and change after some time if necessary.