Anyone Still Using Desktops?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Sunflogun • Jun 24, 2015.

1. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    My parents are still using desktop. It used to be our family computer but then we kids started to have out own lives and moving out so my parents are left with an empty house and an old xp desktop. :p

2. gh0st233

gh0st233Member

Threads:
    Laptops are usually used by people who only need them for browsing internet and working. Desktops are used for everything else. A 1000$ desktop is a lot more powerful than a 1000$ laptop. A desktop is a gamer's choice, always and every time. I have used desktop PCs for 13 years now, and I could never replace it with a laptop. I have my comfy chair, my awesome mouse, and my beast of a PC that can play all the games I can get. Believe it or not, a lot of people are using desktops, even the older people who are using them just for Facebook and Skype. They are cheaper, more powerful and you can customize them. For example, I bought this desktop 6 years ago, but it grew old, so instead of buying a new one, I replaced the parts that are important for a fast and powerful PC.

3. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I used to use desktop windows but not anymore. It's just inconvenient for me and I really enjoy using it whenever I'm available. But I used to use an HP desktop and the only reason I would prefer a desktop over a laptop because it doesn't overheat as easy. I mean I have a Macbook Air and it never overheats but if I have too many things running, I can hear the fan working really hard. Other then that, I personally would prefer a laptop any day.

4. suegiplaye

suegiplayeMember

Threads:
    I still use my desktop when I am at home because I have both and I don't feel like I have to use my laptop while I am home. I guess to me a laptop is only supposed to be used when you are on the go. It is like a portable desktop.I don't see myself ever throwing away my desktop so I might as well use it.

5. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Sure, if I had a desktop I'd use it, but if I didn't have a computer no way I'd prefer buying a desktop over a laptop. Now if you have the two naturally that it's more convenient to use the desktop, considering it's just sitting there.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I admit, we still have a desktop. My husband likes to have a high-performance gaming computer. A desktop with the same specs is usually cheaper than a laptop of identical specs plus it's easier to upgrade.

Every now and then, when I get frustrated by the speed of my little netbook, I switch to the desktop and revel in the power of high ram and the beauty of enhanced graphics. Mostly though, I value portability over the power for my personal use.

7. Sunflogun

SunflogunActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, that is the most common reason for desktop using, gaming. At, the same time I really see no reason for us not to use one if we do have the space to put it and the money to buy it, it's just a workstation sitting there ready to be used.

8. Snakevenom

SnakevenomNew Member

Threads:
    Desktops are significantly more powerful and as I am largely a gamer I cannot deal with bad performance. For the price of my gaming desktop (£850) it would cost near double that to get close to similar performance on a laptop.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still use a desktop. It's because of performance vs. cost, just as @Snakevenom@Snakevenom points out. If I want to look something up when I'm outside the home then my smartphone does the job perfectly well.

10. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    I use both a desktop and a laptop. However, I prefer to use my laptop because it does not limit where I can do work. I cannot pack up my desktop and take it to the coffee house. My husband still uses the desktop to get his work done. He works in Media. So some people still do use the desktops out of necessity.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was using both a laptop and a desktop up until recently. My desktop has now been disassembled to create more space in the dining room, where it had previously been situated. So now I am just using my laptop, but I am encountering some issues with my laptop thanks to a faulty charger cable. I think a registry clean is in order.

12. shrinkwatson

shrinkwatsonNew Member

Threads:
    I'd like a desktop better. I think is because I grew up using desktop.I do not adapt to the laptop on a desk because I get a pain in the back and neck. Also there are some studies about the laptop on human's lap causing fertile problems.You have more upgrade options with a desktop. Upgrading a CPU or graphics card--reasonably easy tasks on a desktop--are difficult to impossible (usually impossible) on a laptop.

So I stick to the desktop for watching movies on a big LCD.

13. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had a desktop since early middle school. I am currently a college students who commutes home, so having a desktop really makes no sense. However, when I get a decent paying job and am done with school, one of my first plans is to have a friend build me a high quality desktop. You can play high quality games on laptops, but it's way cheaper to build your own desktop instead.

14. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    Of course... Most employees are using desktops and all game lovers and video makers choose a desktop..

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly. Millions upon millions of desktops are being used right now, and only a moron would game on a laptop more often than they'd opt for a PC. Gaming laptops cost well-over $1,000 and often double that, while a gaming desktop can be had for $500 for decent enough specs. So from a simple financial standpoint, desktops make more sense than laptops for gaming and other hardware-intensive activities like design and video creation.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I do a lot of design work, and working exclusively off of a small laptop screen is not ideal at all. In addition I do a lot of photo editing, which similarly is hard to do on a laptop screen. Of all the laptops and desktops I've owned, I've always noticed in most cases the screens on the desktop systems were of higher quality than those on the laptops. Laptops don't seem to have the tonal and color depth of dedicated monitors or those found in all in one systems.

I'm assuming some of it has to do with the fact that laptops are more geared towards conserving power and desktop systems are assumed to be plugged in at all times.

In addition, with desktop systems, you can adjust your monitor to be at a comfortable eye level, instead of having to strain your neck looking down at a laptop. You also have the luxury of a full size keyboard and mouse.

Plus, I wouldn't want a laptop on my lap all day while I try to get work done. Not only would I and the laptop get overheated, it's probably not very healthy either.

17. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    I happily still use a desktop computer. In my life, I don't see the need of using a laptop as I do all my important stuff on my desktop computer. Laptops tend to get too hot and then you have to stop what you're doing so it could cool down. I work at a fast pace so laptops are a no-no for me.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My daughter had bad luck with laptops she replaced the last laptop with a desktop and is very happy with it. I plan to get a new desktop as soon as I get a new home.

19. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I still use a desktop at home. It's just what I'm used to. I love my imac. It's such a great computer. For portability I would love a macbook, someday. At work I use both a laptop and a desktop and on days when the wifi at work isn't working properly, I'm glad I still have a desktop computer that I connect to the internet to work on.

20. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    In my place of work, desktop computers are still widely used. At home, we also have a desktop computer, which is mostly used by mom who is in her late 60s. She finds it easier to use than a laptop. She likes the size of the keyboard, as well as the convenience of using a mouse. Desktop computers also have a bigger monitor making it easier for her to see the screen clearly.