Anyone still using dial-up connection?

Discussion in Internet Broadband Access started by Jatelo2 • Sep 14, 2012.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Compared to Broadband, Dial-up Connections are very slow. However they are easy to set and can work very well for those on limited budget but need internet access. Are you still using this connection and if so, what is your experience like?

Thanks in advance for sharing your views!

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I'm still using dial up connection. I'm the only one in our house that uses the internet anyway, so even if my family members intend to upgrade to DSL since it's quite cheap, (we will just add a little amount to our phone bill to be able to avail unlimited internet access) the plan never pushes through. Using dial up is very cheap and what i like about it is that it has off peak usage from 12 am to 8 am everyday, but it varies with the card you buy. Some offer off peak usage for 30 days since you first used the card, while some offer it in 15 days only. The cards with the lesser price and credits don't have free off peak usage.

Of course the speed is a major complaint, but hey, you get what you pay for right? If you just intend to open simple webpages, then using dial up is tolerable. But when you intend to download large files, then be prepared to wait at least 20-30 mins per 5 mb song. Since there is also a free off peak hour usage, if you intend to download a large file, then you could just leave the pc on stand by while you sleep, then just check up on your pc the next morning.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No way, no how. I could never go back to that. I think I would rather go without internet at all than try to use dialup on a regular basis again. It's just way too slow.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think having a slow internet connection would be better that having no connection at all, in my opinion. :D But I know were you're coming from, since you have gotten so used to having a fast internet connection, you will surely be irritated with the turtle-like pace of a dial up connection.

5. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Did you know that most people across the globe still use Dial-up connection? Not only that,in some countries I have visited, it is a privilege to have internet connection in the first place! I used connection some months ago and it wasn't that bad.

6. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I didn't know that. Matter of fact, I don't know anyone who still uses a dial-up connection. Having a faster and better internet connection isn't that expensive now, but then again, it depends on where you live.

Wi-fi was, for me, one of the biggest changes there was for internet connection.

7. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Are you serious! 5Mb downloads for 30 mins? that is extremely slow my friend. Anyway I'm glad that you know you are getting what you paid for. I'll also provide you with a link to help with you download large files faster when using dial-up connection:

8. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    Good thing we never had a dial up connection. We immediately jumped shipped to broadband. But I can still remember the times when my cousin used a dial up connection, it was so slow and tiring. I'm not much of the waiting type.

9. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm remember the good old days of dial-up. The buzzing and whining until a connection was reached. Sometimes, it took a couple or several redials before a connection was reached. Fortunately, I no longer use dial-up. I do have cable in my home and wi-fi is perfect for the mobile internet user like me. ;)

10. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    With unlimited broadband costs being so cheap, I wouldn't settle for dial-up unless I had no choice.. like finding myself in a village with no cable or dsl!

11. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    I do not as it is only about $10 cheaper and we live on the Internet. We also don't have a typical land line, so it would be more expensive with having to get that.mwe are in a rural area with hardly any Internet choices, so the cheap dial up is not even available here.

12. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Dial-up has been gone from my life for at least a decade or so already! I'll never forget those days when the modem makes all sorts of noises and tones trying to connect onto the internet and whenever someone picks up the phone or anyone calls in, the internet disconnects. The frequent disconnections is definitely one of the most annoying things about dial-up, and probably why many of us have jumped over to broadband for fast and uninterrupted connections. If you're a user that uses only the internet once in a while, dial-up might be tolerable I guess, but with the internet playing such a huge role in our daily lives today, I suggest you just get a broadband connection and stick with it!

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes my friend, sometimes on "good days", it only takes 20 minutes to download 5 mb, :p Well I just inquired the rates regarding having a DSL connection added to our subscription, since my dad now intends to avail of the DSL connection. He wants to be sure of the additional fees before he upgrades. ;) Anyway, thank you for the link, I did use IDM before, but when our other pc got reformatted I have stopped using it and switched to Flashget instead.

14. jane211

jane211Member

Threads:
    I used dial up when I first started using the Internet, but I wouldn't use it now and don't know many people still using dial up.

I didn't feel that dial up was safe enough so that is another reason that I would not use it.

Broadband was really expensive when it first came out, but now they have got some great deals on packages which makes it affordable and hot much more than dial up.

You can get some very affordable broadband packages now with some starting at just £3.99 a month, but I don't know how good they are.

15. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:

Very strange that you haven't used Dial-up in years yet some people are aspiring to embrace it in some parts of the world. Funny and very unequal world we live in isn't it?

16. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have a DSL that feels like a dial up lately. I don't know what ATT has been doing lately, but this internet connection of mine is not what it used to be. I thought maybe it was my computer, but when others come over they are experiencing the same thing. I guess that explains why they dropped the price by $10 a month.