Anyone Tried Making Your Own Microwave Popcorn?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Jun 19, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently read (somewhere) that you can make your own microwave popcorn. I think this would be a great idea. Not only would it, no doubt, be healthier, but you'd definitely save money. I usually just make it in our air popper, which has paid for itself by not using oil. It's healthier too.

Still, I thought this idea was very cool. I'll have to try it. My kids would love this. Supposedly, you can just toss 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels with a tiny bit of oil, pour into a paper bag, fold over the top 2-3 times, and nuke it for about 2 1/2 minutes or until there is like a 2 second or so lull between pops. The thing I saw said leave the bag standing up. Don't lay it on its side.

Has anyone tried this? I need to go get more popcorn kernels so I can check it out.

2. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I never thought of this, it's brilliant! Assuming it works well, you could not only make healthier popcorn, but also make different flavors. Popcorn isn't all that expensive, but this is also great if you have a bunch of kids over for a sleep over of party, you could make each kid their own bag, so there would be no fighting. Awesome tip!

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have been doing this for years, I jokingly credit my dad with the invention of microwave popcorn because he taught us how to do this as kids long before microwave popcorn was sold in stores. The only time I buy the microwave packets is when I'm supporting a local boy scout who is selling it for a fundraiser.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is so cool, @ReadWriteLearnLove@ReadWriteLearnLove. This is one of those, "why didn't I think of that?" things. So simple, yet a really good idea. I'm not a big fan of microwave popcorn (the pre-packaged kind), but I'm going to check this one out.

I like it, @Dame6089@Dame6089. You could make a nice assortment of flavors for everyone. I also like the idea of separate bags. With four kids, I know all about fighting over snacks, haha. They don't seem to outgrow it.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn’t heard of this trick before. Sounds pretty awesome indeed, and much healthier than the pre-packaged stuff with all its additives in the oil. And like @Dame6089@Dame6089 said, it would be a great way to experiment with different flavors. Will have to try this out when I get a chance.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to do this all the time as an impoverished student. Dirt cheap and much healthier than the pre-packaged stuff. I used to use the same method as Zyni desribes. The bag needs to be facing upwards as if it is on it's side, the corn is more likely to shoot out during the cooking process, as I found out one night!

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, this works like a charm, and it's much healthier and cheaper than those microwave popcorn packets you get at the store. You don't even need to put any oil in it at all actually, just the popcorn itself into a paper bag. Some of my friends would staple the bag shut, but I don't like to do that because sometimes we lose the staple when trying to reopen the bag and I'm worried it's in the popcorn. Just folding the bag up enough times is usually enough to keep the steam trapped in it. You could also give it a fold lengthwise to crimp it which helps keep it from reopening.

8. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I just fold the top of the bag a few times and it works just fine. Every once in awhile I have a few kernels escape, but that's usually because I put too many in the bag to begin with. I'd be hesitant to staple the bag closed...in fact, please don't do this! Staples and microwaves are not likely to be good partners!