Anyone using a power meter to measure how much an appliance uses?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by saveraddict • Sep 25, 2013.

1. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    I got a power meter about a month ago, and I am using it to see how much electricity each appliance consumes. I started just writing these things on paper, but I switched to Excel. It's very interesting to see what happens and how much each device consumes. I found that things like turning off the TV from the box when not using it don't help much, but setting the refrigerator to a bit lower gives significant savings. Have you tried this experiment?

2. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    No, I don't have a power meter as yet; but I do plan to get one at my utility company's e-store. They have some power meters which can help you to monitor how much electricity your appliances use on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. They also have power saving outlets which can be used to plug in appliances, and these outlets turned on and off during a particular times in the day to save electricity. I plan to get some of those too.

3. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had no idea of such a thing. Where could I get a power meter? And how much do they cost? I would love to try this If I would have known I could do something like this I would of done it a long time ago lol. Please let me know where I could get one of my own power meters and around how much it would cost thank you. And thank you for sharing this I love this forum I always learn something new :)

4. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    I bought mine at Menards for around $15 on sale. The also have them on Amazon.