Appeal Of Newer Model Smart-phones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Norjak71 • May 7, 2016.

1. Norjak71

Norjak71Member

Threads:
    I'm running what is basically to be considered the cheap knockoff the Samsung Galaxy s5, the Galaxy Core Prime, and not only is it significantly cheaper, it has given me zero problems updating it. The apps are all the same. The screen size is perfect and it is unbelievably durable. So with that -- I ask, what is the appeal of the current smart phones? Is a slightly bigger screen and better camera worth the $300? Is there something I'm missing? Everyone always seems to buy the very next smart phone model and shells out big bucks to do so but I'm happy as a lamb with my ancient (by today's standards) core prime. Thoughts?

2. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I think that I am on your side here. I have always been considered the cheap one, but the truth is is that I just do not use all of the fancy stuff so it just does not matter if they work that well, as long as I can do the basics I am okay, so the older models just work find. I do know a lot of people who are the other way though, so I am just glad that I am not like that.

3. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Trying to be the always-trendy guy with the latest model can become a stressful experience and -in addition- expensive.

Smart phones are reaching enough power capacity they can well be used as desktop computers too(!):

You do well to use your unit while it meets your demands. There is no objective reason why you must throw away a perfectly good model, simply because there's a new one on the market.

Moreover, the phones are devalued quickly for this very reason therefore if you are happy with having the penultimate version you will enjoy saving a nice amount of cash when buying your next smartphone.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people buy into the hype that newer models are in some way better than the old model they own. While yes there could be some new features that doesn't necessarily make the new phones better. IMHO one should replace their phones or mobile devices only when they have to and even then you don't have to buy the most expensive model on the market. You could buy a previous generation phone and save a lot of money.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think one of the more sought after benefits of buying a branded smart phone is durability. It's true that a knock off phone might prove to be durable right now and it probably will last for a long time but I ink you get much more assurance from a branded phone not only in being durable but also in the comfort of knowing just exactly how long you will be able to use it for without it slowing down or lagging or if it will break very easily if you happen to drop it.

6. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    I would rather go for a much recent budget phone rather than go for an older Flagship. Most recent Smartphones have opted to provide better Battery and Performance at a lower price than what you would get with an older Flagship. I would really go for the latest Moto G4 Plus rather than going for a 2-year-old Android Flagship. It will only yield better performance and newer software. Things have changed and manufacturers have learnt to provide newer Chipsets rather than offering older chipsets for lower price. Good Luck.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those types of people are HUGE into their gadgets and tend to be techies or even geeks LOL Plus, they must be really minted. I really am not so concerned about owning the latest models at all. As long as I have a durable, reasonably priced phone that does everything I want it to do, I'm happy as Larry :)

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know as well since I have an older iPhone 5s. I mean, what number are they even in now, like iPhone 7 already? Anyway, I doubt I'm going to buy anything new in the next few months. Last month, my phone got super laggy and was always hanging but a quick factory reset and that solved everything. I was even on the verge of buying a new phone but thankfully, I was able to remedy the situation.

As others have said, some people just love buying the newer gadgets. I know of someone who immediately buys the latest iPhone version. Then, I know of another person who has an iPad, an iPhone and a MacBook. So in these cases, they might just be collectors of these gadgets, lol.

As for me, I am quite contented with my old phone and tablet. And I didn't buy them at the same time... My Samsung Galaxy Tablet was bought three years ago and it's still working fine. The same goes for my iPhone. I guess gadgets do depreciate as time passes by but there's no need to replace them if they still work well. And with proper use and care, I think they can last a very long time.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people are just eager to upgrade phones and other gadgets because they can afford to, so let them be right? It's their money anyway. While some people are just content with using the ones that they have until they get broken or malfunction, so it's obvious that they are practical people.

10. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I never really understood the urge to change phones as soon as the new advertisement surfaces. I stay loyal to my phone as long as has the characteristics that are relevant the present day. If it lacks a lot of them, then I will make a change. That's my attitude on a subject.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, it has been a while since smart phone companies have not released something game-changing. They have released new stuff here and there, there's nothing really new that makes you go wow, I need to buy the new phone because it is so different and have so many different things on it. I'm an iPhone girl, and To me the biggest thing on the "newer" iPhones is the size of it. I hated the small ones, so for me it was a welcome change when they came up with the iPhone 6. But I would have never spent the money to upgrade to iPhone 6S and so far it has not been looking up to upgrade to iPhone 7. Features do not look very interesting at all so far.