Appropriate Gifts For Parents During Wedding?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by tangela • Mar 17, 2015.

1. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    My fiancé and I will be getting married in a year or so and we are currently working on our budget. We think it would be appropriate to give the parents a gift, but we don't really know what.

What is something that's appropriate, but not cheesy? What have you done for your parents when it came to wedding gifts?

2. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I think it's really nice that you both want to do something special for your parents on your special day. In my country it's unusual for the bride and groom to do this but I think it's a good way to show your appreciation.
    How about taking them on a cruise somewhere? If your budget allows of course, I'm assuming they will be involved in the wedding preparations and would also deserve a break after the festivities.

3. PunkinPie

PunkinPieMember

Threads:
    I would just try and think of something that is sentimental. I don't think you need to get them something extravagant as I am sure your special day is a gift to them already. Maybe a frame with your baby picture and a wedding photo. Or something from your childhood re-gifted in some sort of way? A cherished toy, a drawing from school framed, even just a sweet handwritten letter. Keep it simple and keep it heartfelt.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    A cruise sounds nice! Or maybe some sort of get-away? They do love to travel but with the father-in-law's job they aren't able to go as frequently as they would like, so I would definitely have to figure out a schedule between them.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The first thing that came to my mind was some kind of home appliance they might not yet have or need. My mom and grandmom could always use some new stuff in the kitchen, as cliche as that sounds..

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    The thought of giving my parents a gift on my wedding day never occurs to me! I thought they are supposed to give to us :)

I think you guys are fantastic to think of giving to your parents a gift. I think he would be great if you can send them on a short vacation. That is what I would want if my children decide to give me something on their wedding day.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say that a mini-vacation that works for your budget would be something that they'd probably love. Just be creative with it. If you're creative, then it doesn't matter how much you can spend with your budget - they're going to love it more than likely. It's as simple as that. Creativity :3

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    There are really nice 'pamper yourself' baskets that you can either buy online or you can make yourself. I think this is a nice way to tell them they deserve some time off to relax after all the help and planning. You could put a bottle of wine/champagne in there, two books they like Gresham for men, his new book Searing is out now. And Sparks for mom, maybe 'The Long Ride' since the film is coming out. Then mom might like some foot rubs and maybe Dad would like to give himself a barber shop shave. Some places sell vintage men's items for such a purpose. Congrats by the way! That's exciting! And also horrifying...I can't actually remember what we gave our parents. What if we didn't get them anything?????

9. Barry Walker

Barry WalkerNew Member

Threads:
    You can gift your parents an Anniversary Journal. They can record their precious moments in it from the Day 1 of their marriage.

Well, you can find them in the form of a book with a hardcover that includes enough pages which you parents can use till their 50th anniversary.

I am sure your parents are going to love this gift.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd suggest you go for something cheap but one that will always remind them that no matter what you always care about them.

Send your parents a table cloth with a hand embroidered cute message, "thanks for the memories" . . . anything that will assure them that you appreciate all they did for you.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of something sentimental. I also like the idea of a bit of a getaway. I'm thinking book them a room at a nice hotel nearby your wedding venue (or in it if your wedding is at a hotel). They can rest and relax after the wonderful (but long) day, and they won't have to worry about driving if they've been sipping champagne.

I'd give it to them in advance, so they can plan for it though (bring a toothbrush, clothes, etc). Maybe gift it to them at the rehearsal dinner or something like that. Then have the hotel send up a nice bottle of wine.

12. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    A gift certificate to an upscale restaurant is a good idea. That way you are giving them a great experience as well as show your appreciation for all they have done in the wedding planning. But it's not over the top, so there won't be any awkwardness about receiving something like that.

13. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Anything they can make immediate use of. Your parents could be above 50 and any gadget or an aid that would be of great assistance but does not make them self-conscious. A pedometer or a pair of running shoes, an iPhone, a plasma television or even an eating journal. or anything that expresses your love and make them feel you care for them.

14. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    We got our parents nice picture frames that they could put wedding pictures in. We did a side by side frame so we could do a picture of the two of us and a picture of us with our parents. We never got around to ordering prints of our wedding photos, though, so that didn't necessarily work out so well.

A lot of the other suggestions people are giving are really expensive! How do you have that much money lying around as a young couple just starting out, while paying for a wedding? Or were most of you older/more established and/or did your parents pay for the whole wedding?

15. cornerstonegifts

cornerstonegiftsNew Member

Threads:
    A personalized photo album of wedding pictures, an amazing picture frame, a gift certificate for a special dinner, a poem you've written, a weekend away -- anything's appropriate, as long as it's personal and within your financial bounds. Take a moment a few days (or hours!) before the wedding to share some private time with your parents and present them with your gift. You might each give your own parents a gift, or you might have the present be from both of you to each set of parents.