Apps: How many do you really need?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Lostvalleyguy • Mar 20, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    When I look at many phones, they are loaded with apps. Everyone has a certain number that they will use and others that they don't. I personally like a clean and uncluttered look to my screed and choose only the apps that I actually need rather than ones that I might use if I had them. I think that many people have become too dependent on their apps to do everything for them and addicted to them.

An app that tells me where the missing bus is great. One that tells me the special menu items for a place in a nearby town is not so great.

Have we become too App friendly? Too App dependent? Do you like a clean screen like me or do you like to see it loaded will all sorts of apps?

2. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    I really dislike that my phone came pre-installed with useless apps. It won't let me uninstall them. It only lets me uninstall updates. New apps, I can uninstall, but that's pointless when I can't find enough space to get new apps.

The only apps I need in my phone is an alarm clock, a calculator, a calendar, Skype, Whatsapp and an internet browser. I don't need the other 20 apps installed like GMail which I don't use, a Youtube browser, maps, etc.

3. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have that many apps because I think it's annoying to find the right one when there's so many different versions. I've uninstalled way many more apps than I've kept. I wish you could uninstall apps that come preinstalled and I wish there were better ways to organize them.

4. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    On my smartphone, I like having a whole variety of apps that I use organized the way I want it. I have mostly only downloaded the ones that I actively use and that are the most convenient to me, such as bus tracker, news apps, video streaming apps, social media apps, moneymaking apps, financial apps and stuff like that. Others that I barely use came pre-installed and unfortunately there is no way to get rid of them.

5. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    I am a huge clean freak. This means that there is nothing on my smartphone or tablet which I do not use. And I do not like those people who tend to load up their devices with a ton of apps. This is due to the reason that these apps tend to slow down your device and reduce the quality of experience.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well I have but so few apps on my phone. Most of them are just useless space fillers, especially those pre installed apps that you can't uninstall unless you're going to do some backdoor magic. I think I only have like 10 apps that are really useful to me right now, most of them are just collecting virtual dust on my phone.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's why I went from an Android to an unlocked Iphone. The Android had so many bloatware. I do find it slightly annoying that it has Facetime and Stocks. I will never look at stocks but I'm sure it doesn't take much space.

I do have a lot of apps and there are probably a good amount that I haven't used in a while but that is no matter because I'm sure I have enough space. I just like to be prepared. You have to remember that there have been times where they'll take an app off the app store or maybe I don't have an internet connection so I can't download the offline app but I still want to play it.

8. epiczail

epiczailBanned

Threads:
    Gah, I have an absurd amount of apps on my iPhone. It's also jailbroken so I have a large amount of tweaks also. You could probably say that I use my phone a lot more than everyone else does so not many people have as much as I do.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from photos and videos, why do you think that phones nowadays have 16GB internal memory or 32GB internal memory plus another 16GB or 32GB for external memory? That's because we need to install apps. Why would you settle for only a couple of apps when you can download a whole lot for free?

It's fun to try out different apps. I have lots of apps and games installed in my device and I don't have any problems with them. The preinstalled apps do annoy me though. They should give us the option to uninstall them without rooting the device.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just got an Android phone, but I still have yet to fully explore it. I noticed that mine came with a lot of pre-installed apps, and most I don't really need. I think I will only download apps that are useful or beneficial to me, but if I don't have any use for them then I won't download it. Like you, I also prefer a clear screen on my Android phone.

11. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I only ever use about five apps at a time. the most important ones in my social ones to keep in touch with my friends on my family. Apart from that I only use the the weather apps or other apps that give me news and feedback on what's happening in the world. I pretty much use my phone for basic things and when I need more information or I need to access more power I turn to my laptops.

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to download as many free apps as i could but then i got tired of it. I realized i don't even need most of them. I think it depends on the user. Most people i know, they have all kinds of app on their phones as well and i really doubt they even know what those apps are. I think i only have 5 apps on my phone, i use Kindle and Spotify a lot. :)

13. lindbergh

Threads:
    True. The first time I got hold of an Android phone, I had the urge to download apps nonstop as long as my phone could handle it. But now, I just ran out of gas. I no longer care much about apps. When I think of something I need, that's the time when I go searching for something. Besides, a lot of them are free so what's there to lose?

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do have too many apps that I don't use. This is because I usually download and test them out especially when they are on promo and I often think I'm going to use them in the future so I don't delete them immediately but after a while I just stop using them and yet still don't delete them just in case. I don't mind though since I have plenty of space but I plan on doing clean up sometime soon just because i would now prefer to just use that space for media files instead.

15. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I transferred to an Android OS after using an iphone for a few years. I can't understand why there is so much bloatware around and I feel forced to root it. That being said, I use max 10 apps and most of them are social apps. I think I have 2 games running around and most of the time I don't even use them.

16. lindbergh

Threads:
    Yep, that's the problem with some Android phones. They're filled with bloatware. They take up a lot of internal memory but you don't really get to use them. However, I've never really cared that much. I haven't even rooted phone. I think most of the bloatware could simply be uninstalled if you know where to look :)

17. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Is there any way to uninstall them without rooting the phone? I'm pretty stick of having 20 apps and 10 of them being samsung bloatware or other corporate junk. I really miss my cydia iphone over this. But other than that, I have no complaints against android.

18. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    I like the old adage, "quality over quantity". So I tend to keep my App count on the lower side. My rule of thumb is, if you don't use it regularly, (at least once a week) then it will get the boot. My storage space is too precious to have unused Apps.

19. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I like my screen to be really clean, but that doesn't limit the number of apps I have....

Instead, I drop all of mine into folders. I have folders for things like Games, Media, Social, and Other Apps so everything fits neatly into a few small boxes.

20. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's my biggest annoyance. My Android comes with some many apps preloaded. They eat up some much internal memory. It really drives me crazy because I can't really delete them. I know that I can customize my phone if I root it, but I don't know if I want to risk it.