Are board games a thing of the past?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 11, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    To all with children: do you still buy them board games? I ask because I am planning to do this, and I am hoping that the gifts are met with approval! I hate the way that so many children are bought games consoles, and are then allowed to just sit on them all day, playing whatever they want to, without talking to their family who are right by them. Instead, I thought that I could buy some games that can be enjoyed by the entire family, in the hope that it would get us talking and playing together again! But, as I say, I wouldn't want to do this if it's just an outdated concept and I wouldn't have a chance anyway!

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, my daughter and I never really were into board games. I mean, she has played and enjoyed Monopoly before, but neither of us would choose that over a really good video game. While people are playing Battleship and Connect 4, we're playing Assassin's Creed.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No they're still around. A lot of people still plat board games and still a lot of companies make new board games and they still sell. As for me, I'm not really a fan of board games since I was born in the era of video games but I can testify that board games are a thing of the past but they're not stuck there.

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think that while board games are still around, they are much more of a niche market nowadays.
    The ones that come out aren't really aimed at kids, they're not the target market anymore, adults are. There are tons of fun new and complex games that are solely aimed at adults.

5. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    No they're not. They're still around but they're not as popular as before since most of the games today are now digital and compared to what we have as entertainment today, they're rather a bit expensive and not worth it for most people.

6. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say no that. If board games would ever be a thing of the past, then they would have been played out. Games like monopoly, life, etc. Will never get old. I will admit that they no where near as popular as they once was, but I think they will always be relevant. I still play this game called Balderdash. Its too fun to lose its interest.

7. AugustGreig

AugustGreigMember

Threads:
    Board games are awesome. I really enjoy them. My friends and I used to have board game night every Wednesday, and it was a great way to get together and socialize. Everyone would invite other friends, and we would get to meet new people and have fun. I just played Jenga with some friends last night. Not really a board game, but similar. And Games like Scrabble and Boggle are really fun because they can be very competitive. And of course, things like Life and Monopoly are always favorites. And there are always cool new versions of Monopoly that will get the kids interested in it, like Star Wars and other stuff.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    A thing of the past you ask, not at all! I have a friend with kids and he, his wife and the kids play weekly a game or two - it's a nice way to bond and awaken competitively for the little ones. As for us adults, there are plenty of board games to choose from: Scrabble, Monopoly, Settlers of Catan ... and the list goes on. Not to mention fantasy board games of a geeky nature, like Dungeons and Dragons. In fact I've been meaning to buy a DND set for a while now but it's hard to find where I live and quite expensive.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, for most people.

During my grade school days, I used to play lots of board games with my mom and dad and other kids. We would play Scrabble and Snakes and Ladders and Chess and Checkers and Monopoly and lots of other games. But when other entertainment modes became available, our play time with board games constantly decreased until it reached a time when we no longer played board games. We just played either on our laptops, our video game consoles, and our smartphones.

They are still existing. But how many people are still using it? How many board games are being sold in stores? How many board games are being bought?

10. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I sure hope not! I love board games. They're great for families, parties, and friend get togethers. Kids today might spend more time playing with gaming consoles but it's not as social. I think there's room for both. Stores like target still have giant aisles of board games so I think people are still buying and playing them.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Board games never will be a thing of the past. Their popularity may wane over time but that doesn't mean that they'll eventually be phased out. Take for example the Amish [who] hate technology. What games do the Amish play? They have to stick with old school board games.

And then there are those kids who may not just like video games because their parents aren't into that kind of thing. Kids are impressionable. So if the parents like board games, for a while the kids will believe that board games are the best.

12. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely not a thing of the past! My nephews and I play board games all the time. That being said, my 3 year old would rather play games on my tablet or phone than sit and play a board game, but as he gets older that will change. Liking video games doesn't mean you won't love to sit around a table and play a good old board game.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right I love video games but every now and then I'll still find a board game to play.
    I don't have much experience with kids but I would think that if you took the effort to find a board game that is their style and helped them learn how to play they would join in.

14. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think board games will ever go out of style. I think that the kids appreciate the time spent with family playing games and making memories. Even if the gift is initially met with resistance, once they see how much fun it is to spend time with the family, they will come around.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think younger kids are more open to still experiencing things that aren't digital. After a certain age it probably wouldn't seem as appealing anymore. I'd say that any child that isn't a teenager yet could still be bored enough to welcome any other low tech form of entertainment. Not that teens wouldn't be into it, but probably most Of them would prefer consoles and digital games at that age.

16. klarson

klarsonNew Member

Threads:
    I know board games are a big thing in a lot of homeschool families- I grew up homeschooled and we played board games (Game of Life and Scrabble or UpWords, mostly) and card games almost every day. We still pull them out on holidays now, even though we're all grown up. The younger a kid is, the better chance you have of hooking them on board games. Monopoly Deal is a great card game for people who don't have the attention span for a full board game!

17. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I use to love board games as a kid but as I grew older my love for it faded, I don't know why lol. I wish I was more into it to tell you the truth like scrabble and other grown-up friendly games. I think eventually when I have kids I'll make the effort to bring back board games into the household.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, board games are really considered a thing of the past, since they are overshadowed by video games and social media. But if your kid is genuinely into them, then you would have no problem of them not using it if you buy them a board game. It really depends on the person. You know your kid better than us, so ask them if they dig it.

19. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I still have Scrabble board games, but I don't play them as often anymore. UNO board games are a good choice to play with kids. It will keep active children occupied for quite some time. Monopoly is a good game to play, but I think it's more fun if there are four people playing. There are many games that children can play online. More choices for parents to choose for their kids. I noticed that board games are evolving and being repackaged to connect the offline and the online, so I think they are not going extinct. They're just going to slowly evolve to suit the life style of their players.

20. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Sad to say this but yes, i think board games are quickly becoming irrelevant. I haven't seen anyone laid a hand on board games nowadays. Everybody seems just so engrossed in their smartphones or computers these days and i think we all can agree to that. Not even just board games, but other traditional games don't seem to appeal to anyone now. Time is changing truly and i guess we'll just have to go with the flow. :p