Are board games a thing of the past?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 11, 2014.

1. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think board games are outdated. Even if they are, that's no reason for you to give up on it and pass off the chance to be able to bond and talk with your family members. Based on experience, board games are still good and they don't really look like they're a thing of the past. We play them from time to time, but since we're no longer little children, we don't play with them as often as we used to.

2. lemony

lemonyMember

Threads:
    Board games are absolutely not a thing of the past, but the use of it depends on one's preferences.

I would play Scrabble with friends when there are get-togethers, but not Monopoly because I was never a fan of it in the first place. I would play the online version of chess in 3D on my smart phone, but still bring out the chessboard to play with family during reunions, if given the chance. The only thing that would make me stop playing board games is when I've run out of time and patience to physically prepare all the tangible parts into place (like chess pieces onto its right positions), and so on.

Other than that, board games are still essentially worth the time and effort to use. It makes people have direct interaction with each other, and makes physical presence much more enjoyable.

3. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    It is my view that kids over five generally don't like board games if they aren't modern games (or old versions modified) with lights and sounds. I bought Candy Land and Chutes and Ladders for my son a couple years ago (when he was seven). They were only recently opened for my three-year-old to play with. I think you see my point. I loved board games up until I was about ten, but even in the 1980's it didn't take me very long before I began tiring of them. I don't even like the online and electronic versions of games like Scrabble and Monopoly.

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    No! They are not! People might think this because they've been playing the same old games that have been in the attic for decades and, well, Monopoly is not that exciting, if you ask me. But there is so much variety in games, that allow you to have a large group of people playing and laughing, guessing and bluffing, etc. Stuff that you cannot get from video games, if you ask me (besides the fact that your screen could not be divided in 12 to allow nice play!). Just a matter of finding the right game for the right crowd, really! I love "Ticket to Ride" and "Time's Up!" and "Taboo" and "Telestration". My mom's a fan of Trivial Pursuit. Her boyfriend of "Settlers of Catan". It makes for a lot of variety, and can be taken around to places without TV (campsites, trains, etc).

5. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Board games are still very much alive. Only the format have changed. They are now available in computer form. For game makers, board games is just about one of the easiest game to make. The game play is already there. The design is already there. Just migrate it to computer format. Done.

6. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    This topic resonates with me because I grew up playing board games with my siblings and cousins. So many good memories! Risk, Candy Land, Monopoly, Scrabble, and Clue were the most played. But to answer the question, I don't feel they are outdated. My nieces and nephews still play, and they are in the 8-15 age group. I know it's not a huge data collection pool, but it's all I have :)

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    It doesn't really matter if other people think that board games are out of date or not, it only matters if you like them, and if the kids you buy the games for like them.
    I personally like board games, I like the feel of the game in my hand, not just watching a game on a screen.

8. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I still like the idea of playing board games, but if I'm too be honest I won't go out of my way to play them. I tend to play when I'm on holiday or occasionally in the pub, but it's not the sort of thing that gets pulled out at home. I'm more likely to go online for my fun, or go onto my smartphone. I was given a game about 5 years ago as a birthday present and it's still in the plastic wrapping.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love board games! I've always kept them in the house so it's not a big let down or anything if they open one instead of a console lol. It's an awesome way to bond with the kids. Instead of watching them do their various interests, you're right in there with them, having fun! Having fun is the best way to learn and connect and it's a nice break from the pressures of life. We got a few board games for our kids for Christmas and I'm sure they weren't their favourite presents, but they are one of the most used since, and we've had a blast with them :)

10. ProNine

ProNineMember

Threads:
    It's true that there is a decline of people who actually play with board games nowadays, however, I wouldn't say they're dead as of yet. The best way to get your children to play them is let them choose which one they want do and don't stress it too much. I am a teenager but I still find board games just as entertaining as computer games. If my parents asked me if I wanted to, I definitely wouldn't reject the offer.

11. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I suppose they are a thing of the past, but why!? You can't beat sitting down to a board game around a table with family and friends. I think its sad that we don't do this anymore. Board games are much more fun, to many children are hooked on computer games these days, yet board games do teach you more, especially the educational games like Monopoly. It sort of makes you understand money. Even though its paper money.

12. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Board games are still popular with kids, teenagers, and adults. However, I try to only buy games for people who I know have others to play with them. For example, my niece is an only child who plays solo quite a bit, therefore I probably would not purchase a game as a gift for her unless it was one that she specifically asked for.

My husband and I are very competitive, and we keep a rather large collection of board games and card games. We enjoy having friends and family over to play games such as Euchre, Monopoly, Settlers of Cataan, and Scrabble. We have also had success with giving games as gifts, to kids and adults. Kids games such as Candy Land, Operation, and Connect Four seem to be classics that are always popular.