Are Checks Going Out of Style?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Adeal4u • Aug 13, 2012.

1. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think it's safe to say that they are going out of style. Plastic is what I use. Cash is used sometimes, but not often.

2. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I write maybe 1 or 2 checks a year these days. It is just so much faster and easier to use a debit card. Same could be said about postage stamps, it seems the only time I use those is when sending out Christmas cards.

3. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    It's clearly they are dying. There are way too many faster method of payment right now, and they are more secure too. In the past transactions were somewhat based on cofidence, nowadays if you got the money into your account (bank or virtual payment method), you pay and you get your product (probably). In the past you gave the check and got the product, and the seller probably got his money, if the check didn't bounced. It's an obsolete way of payment considering the dynamic world we live in today.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that yes, they are becoming a thing of the past. With online bill pay and debit cards, there is really not many reasons to actually write checks any more.

5. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Haha. I still have my original checks from when I opened my account years ago. Since the invention of the debit card, really who needs them? I think the only check I write every month is for the lady who does my hair. I usually try to bring her cash, but she is the only one I deal with that doesn't have a credit card machine.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I very, very rarely use them. In fact, I have the same checks from 5 years ago and am no where near running out. I usually only use them when there aren't other options. For example, I had to mail in a check to get my FOID card....and I used one when I got my license renewed, they only take cash or check, and I don't carry cash either, lol.

7. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    I didn't think stores still excepted them! The one and only time I used a cheque was when I received my first cheque book and wrote a cheque to my sister for 50p! I haven't used it since.

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I believe they are and everything is going to paperless and I hate that. I don't like putting my accounts online and paying that way. I always try to find a payment center for whatever bill I have to pay and go there. To me it's plain laziness for a person to go paperless because they may need a copy of whatever bill they are paying later on down the line and then what do you do. I always keep my receipts so, if they say I didn't pay, I say, oh yes I did, look at this.

9. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    Well you can thank the check fraudsters for that. I've been to many stores where they have signs in the windows saying "No checks". It's because check fraud is such an epidemic that these stores have just given up on trying to weed it out. I even see when you give them cash money they examine it to see if it's real because there's a lot of counterfeit cash floating around. And some stores now have signs saying they won't accept bills larger than $20. It's getting weird out there.

10. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    Well it means you must have a lot of free time. I have to work everyday just to be able to pay all bills. So when I have some free time I don't want to spend it doing something i hate, paying bills. Two minutes online and the deal is done. Why don't you get a debit card with a low administration fee and use it only for paying bills?

11. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    At one time, I used to go through two cheque books a year. I've had the current book for three years now, and I've only used half a dozen cheques out of it. If I want to send money to anyone in the family by post, I use a cheque, but more often I just transfer money online through my bank. It's in the account immediately, and there's no waiting around for the cheque to clear. Being the cautious person I am, I'm still hanging on to the cheque book - just in case I need it one day.

12. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I hope so, I hate standing in line when someone is writing a check and taking 30 minutes. I love my debit card, it is quick and easy. Also much more convenient.

13. edvisual

edvisualBanned

Threads:
    Uhm.. Not really, they aren't going out of style.. I still use them myself or when I receive different payments.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that you mention it, I haven't used one in years. I don't even remember the last time. I much prefer cash (odd man out, I know), or credit cards for large purchases.

15. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the UK, cheques are still widely used. Mostly in bank transfers or transactions. If transactions would cost a person big amount of money, like for businesses, cheques are one of the secure form of payment. But of course, if it only involves minor purchases like buying stuffs online, why would you use a cheque? Some bank charges for cashing in cheques and that would not be preferable if you are a seller and the items costs aren't that big anyway.

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    You have a valid question here. Between debit cards and electronic payments online, it would seem as if checks are being phased out. I do know some people including my own sister who still prefers to use checks to pay bills. But even she has admitted that if postage keeps going up that she might considered going online to pay bills. Up to now she hasn't been a huge fan of paying bills online because of security purposes. But I think that checks may still exist in some form or another such as cashier checks, but I'm not sure if personal checks will still exist in the future.

17. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    The last time I used a check was a few years ago. I do have a stack of check books from my current bank that has not been used. When I opened my account with my current bank two years ago, they gave me a the check books for free. I use my debit card or cash for the purchases I make. It does appear as though checks are going out of style. Also, Its more convenient for me to use my debit card.

#37Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  18. fourmatic

fourmaticMember

Threads:
    Absolutely. I work in retail and anytime i see a check I'm kind of surprised. I know a lot of people like to have an actual list of what money they're spending in their pocket, now with smartphones and mobile banking checking your balance takes no time at all before you use a card. I would be shocked to see checks still around in an everyday fashion in 10 years.

19. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    I haven't used a check in a long time either. I know places still accept them but I haven't had a need to use them since we have other more advanced ways to pay. I think a check would be come in handy during a time your debit card may not be working or something.

20. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I think so, yes. The only time I use my checks are for paying bills that I haven't set up for electronic payment. I also use checks for school fundraisers. It amazes me to see people writing checks for purchases, like at the grocery store. I try to hide my annoyance, but writing a check slows down the checkout process! I have noticed that it is usually older people who pay by check(in stores). I think it is just a matter of time and they will be phased out entirely.