Are Checks Going Out of Style?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Adeal4u • Aug 13, 2012.

1. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much. Even when they were popular, they weren't very safe because the person could not sign it correctly and the transaction wouldn't complete, so you would be screwed. Nowadays you have online payments and what not, and that is tons easier to use and much safer.

2. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Out of style? Not really. Its just that there are so many safer methods of transaction out there that they are being used less than they earlier were but they are still very much in use at a lot of workplaces.

3. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think checks will go out of style yet. I still write checks for business because that is a better way for me to keep track on the business spending. Plus, the company will be likely to prefer writing checks for a few reasons. They keep track of any record in case the IRS wants to audit them.

4. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I think the only reason people ever use checks now is to pay a bill to their landlord or something like that. But no I don't ever see people use checks anymore. I think it is because everyone has a debit card now that is linked to their bank account and they are able to pay a lot quicker with a card then with a check.

Nick- I find it odd that you think a landlord can say a check didn't go through even when it did. Checks are taken out from your bank account and leave a paper trail, so if you were to pay with a check and it went through your bank statement would show it. So if they were to take you to court you can just use the bank statement as proof. You may know you payed with cash but the landlord could still technically sue saying they didn't get payment and there would be no paper trail so it is your word against theirs.

5. starla101

starla101New Member

Threads:
    I still use checks to pay my rent. I've had a checking account with a debit card for years, but only NEEDED to get checks when I moved into this apartment and needed to mail my rent somewhere every month.

I do agree that checks are becoming outdated. When I lost my debit card and ID two years ago, I tried to use a check to pay for my groceries at the grocery store and they refused to let me use my check without a picture ID with a matching address. I, of course, didn't have that and they wouldn't accept my passport as identification. I haven't tried to use a check to pay for goods since.

6. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    Cheques are still the primary payment method for business to business transactions, and I don't see them going away any time soon.

7. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use a check or even cash. I pay with everything with a debit card. I don't see too many people using checks, other than my mom. I don't think she wants to use a debit card lol. She doesn't usually pay with cash either. I just see her paying with checks all the time. I think checks are a good option for some people. I just find it more convenient to use a card, not that there is anything wrong with paying for things with a check.

8. yambfas

yambfasMember

Threads:
    I have a horse and for a lot of her services (board, vet, etc), checks are the only option (or cash I suppose, but who has that kind of cash?) I used to pay rent with a check, but not anymore. Eventually I guess they will be so rarely used, but I wonder if they will ever stop being produced.