Are children just terrified of the dark now?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Esperahol • Jul 11, 2012.

1. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    Lol. Our nightlights put off some shadows that my kids don't seem to notice, but I think would have scared me as a child.

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Ever since the invention of darkness and children, children have been afraid of the dark. I used to be afraid of the dark. I got over it, just like everybody else did, without the aid of cute little toys and such. People will sell anything.

3. inb4

inb4Member

Threads:
    It's because how exposed children are to scary and dark things either on the internet or just anywhere around them.

More money for the companies then? I think so!

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    As a kid I was afraid of the dark, and I would have nightmares all the time. My parents grew tired of me crying to them every night, so they bought a night light. They told me I could use it until I reach 7 years old, then they would unplug it and it's LIGHTS OUT!!!

5. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    None of my kids have ever been afraid of the dark but i do leave a hall nightlight on so they can use the bathroom at night. My kids also don't sleep alone. I have a bunch of them so they all share their room so perhaps that makes a difference. Maybe the fact that they are not in a room alone helps with that.

6. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    My kids are afraid of the dark. Not sure why. Tried explaining things to them, they don't care. They don't like the dark.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I appreciate the replies. Honestly, I have to wonder because as a child I never had an issue with the dark. I mean out of my family I am the only one who can apparently sleep in total darkness without a worry. In fact I actauuly have more trouble sleeping in the presence of like a nightlight or whatever then not.

8. Deana

DeanaNew Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure kids are more afraid of dark, just more coddled maybe. When we were little we were taught to work past our fears. That's how we learned to work past other fears as they came along. Now we throw kids products and drugs at every little uncomfortable episode. I'm afraid of what is going to happen when these kids grow up. If they never have to face any fear or slightest adversity, how are they going to make it through the really tough stuff life has in store for them?

9. murbiz

murbizNew Member

Threads:
    This is a really good question.I think it depends on the kid and also the kind of environment the kid is being brought up in.When I was a kid,I never used to be afraid of the dark for I always used to imagine am camping or something fun like that.

Unfortunately nowadays kids have been brought up in an environment where everything has been magnified.With all these commercials on TV about glow in the dark toys,posters etc,it is hard for kids to want to sleep in the dark.

10. quitetenacious

quitetenaciousNew Member

Threads:
    I think everyone is just jumping on the trend right now. Light up toys are the big thing right now. It's not necessarily that kids are more afraid than they ever were. I remember back in the eighties when glow worms came out I think there were a few more light up toys that came up around that time as well.

11. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    My son is in that phase where he is scared of the dark. Everytime they show a commercial with toys that light up in the dark or project on the ceiling, he always tells me how much he wants one. Most as seen on TV products seem to be catered to kids nowadays. I guess they figure if they beg enough, parents will give in and buy it for them.

12. JJohnston

JJohnstonNew Member

Threads:
    My goodness I think the same thing every time I see one of those darn commercials. They don't even look like quality merchandise half the time anyway. I have a toddler and while, yes, she is afraid of the dark, I don't think she needs a pillow, stuffed animal, night light, and blanket that ALL glow in the dark. I would be willing to try one of the devices that send stars glittering around the room but that's simply because I think it might soothe her to look at them rather than comfort her because it's bright.

13. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I actualy loved the dark as a kid. I loved the night. i guess its what you teach your kids to fear. none of mine have been afraid. We just went on a midnight hike this past weekend. We played hide and seek in the dark. I used to play it when I was a kid. Once your eyes get accustom to the dark it really doesn't seem that dark. We slept out in our tents and had a blast. I think kids are taught the fears of their parents. Since I have always loved the dark and the night my kids do as well.

14. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid I was really very terrified of the dark but as I grew up, I began changing my preference and I actually love the dark now. The dark really calms me and relieves me from stress and I even have my curtains down during the day. Sounds weird right?

15. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    Children these days are exposed to more violence, killings ad spooky things on television and video games. I think it does have an effect on young children. They feel more vulnerable and fearful. This means that products that help them deal with these fears are in greater demand. They have actual fears of things they seen on television and in video games and are too young to realize that's its just fiction so they need some kind of comfort. That's my theory anyway.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I doubt that very young children are any more afraid of the dark than they were in the past. Manufacturers of items like these are just going after easy targets - parents! They know that once kids see something on TV they are going to want it. If a kid is afraid to fall asleep in a dark room parents can use a nightlight or leave the bedroom door open as they have done for decades. These products are just toys disguised as something else.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to admit I have a nightlight. I don't like waking up in a dark room, so we have nightlights thru out the house. I walk around the house in the dark and like to see where I am going without turning on the lights. I broke my toe from walking around in the dark.

18. dvharris

dvharrisMember

Threads:
    I know what you mean. I was walking by the register at wal mart and my child spotted the glow in the dark pillows. I was amused for a bit but then it freaked me out. It bothers me that my child would have a pillow that might catch on fire in the middle of the night. How would I get to him on time if the pillow is right under his head. It really bothered me. I must say it was pretty cute. The unicorns with the beautiful shaggy hair. I loved the penguins the most but still don't understand how this would be 100% safe. We will stick to night lights for the moment.

19. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    Buying kids these afraid of the dark gadgets will just teach them that there is something to be afraid of-and they will drain your wallet. The use of a night light should be enough, and of course a bedtime story helps. We don't need to do any more to make our kids into wimpy consumers.

20. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I love the dark (especially to sleep in) and thus I can't understand the need for a nightlight. I'll get one if the kids feel the need, but it really isn't something I get as a concept. That's why I just sort of frown when seeing the many, many, many commericals. It doesn't help that at least one product bit the bullet and admitted there wasn't a need to buy it.