Are Deluxe Albums Worth The Extra Cost?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by cocolgooh • Feb 18, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    Many artists release two versions of their albums; a normal version without any added extras, then an additional version with extra songs, hidden songs or image bonus content or live footage of one of their concerts. Do you think that it's worth spending a bit more to get the deluxe version of albums? Or are you content to buy the normal album at a lower price?

2. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    For me it depends on how much higher the cost is for the version with bonuses, if it's let's say more than twice the cost of the 'normal' album then I would not buy it. And I wouldn't feel that I was missing out on anything because I really don't like live performances anyway and skip them on playlists.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    That makes sense, @Flowerpower@Flowerpower. I agree that it would depend on the cost of the deluxe album whether it would therefore be worthwhile. And I'm the same with a lot of bands. I'm not a huge fan of live performances generally (although there are a few artists I do actually like to listen to live, so perhaps those would be the exceptions to the rule.) I'll generally buy a deluxe album when it has come down in price rather than at the original full price as well, so I suppose not having to pay the amount it would be on release also makes it more worthwhile perhaps.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that most people on this forum are aware of my stance on this sort of thing at this point, lol, but my motto is why pay at all when you can get this sort of thing online for nothing? People are not purchasing normal albums in that way these days, much less the deluxe edition, unless they are devout fans of the artist.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not worth it IMHO because there isn't much more you will be getting. In fact I never buy albums anymore since there are songs in them that I might not like. To save money I often buy those songs if I can find them on iTunes. If not, I'll wait until they're uploaded to youtube and can get them free thusly.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    I was talking to a friend the other day, and they are a really big fan of Janet Jackson. They went to her most recent concert, and she was selling either a Deluxe version of her new album, or it was a limited edition version. My friend already had the album at home - purchased it when it first hit the market, but she wanted the limited edition one too, which I think only had a more elaborate cover. Waste of money, but it is not my money lol.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why buy a limited edition version if she already had the Deluxe album? Could be one of those things people do when they go to a concert. You just must buy something . . . a memento of sorts — but if I was her, I'd probably buy something different not an album that I already had.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think buying albums at all nowadays are worth it. I prefer streaming my music on Spotify or Apple Music. It's much cheaper for the amount and variety you get - you easily pay less than 10 bucks to listen to all you want all month, whereas one album would cost that - specially a deluxe album!!!

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    I am not actually all that sure how streaming works when it comes to music. Does it work in the same way that video streaming is, in that you need internet connection or wifi connection in order to be able to access them? Because if that is the case and your connection to the net goes out at any point, then that kind of sucks, and CD's have an advantage over digital copies of albums.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most artists re-release their albums with more content and freebies included, and the price is still the same from my experience, so I think it's best to just wait until some time has passed before buying the album. I also haven't bought a CD since 2004, and if ever I will buy one again, then it would be because I am a huge fan of that artist. I am happy to get my music for free by just downloading them.

11. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I would have to assume no. That could very well just be me, though, because I do not really tend to buy the upgrades or the deluxe or premium versions of anything. I am just okay with the regular and saving a little bit of money. I guess if you really are a big fan of the artist though then it is great that you want to support them.

12. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it totally depends on a content they put on their deluxe versions. If it's all about a bunch of live versions, then I wouldn't buy it. It just makes no sense whatsoever. However, if that's 3-5 additional songs I found good = yeah, sure, I'm going to get the album for some extra price. Otherwise, it's not complete to me.

13. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    It really is on a case to case basis. I have been burned by deluxe albums and have had great experiences buying deluxe albums. Some of my favorite songs ever are deluxe album songs. There are a few things to keep in mind with deluxe albums though.

1: The songs on deluxe albums will most likely not flow with the rest of the album. The rest of the album was sequenced to fit together and tell a story. Deluxe albums will usually not fit this and can seem a bit jarring when played right after the last song.

2: Sometimes, deluxe songs are simply lower quality songs or even unfinished songs. After all, there is a reason that those songs didn't make the album.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Some songs in the deluxe edition are mostly live and i don't really like to listen to live version of the songs, i don't mind watching it, but listening to the noise of the audience singing along or cheering the artist is beyond irritating. I bought a deluxe version once, years ago, it was exclusively sold at target and it was worth it because the songs aren't live versions rather they were a couple of really good songs. Worth the extra cost.

15. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I only pay an extra amount for something that I really want... Obviously, it has to be worth very much. :cool:

However, I think the division between standard albums and deluxion versions should be extinguished and be released all at once (after all... in general, artists already have a good "salary" that we pay ;)).

Well... Since everything in the world music means money, I think I'm going to keep dreaming about my idea. :p