Are dishwashers worth it?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by lizzief79 • Oct 17, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    When I bought my house 8 years ago I had a new kitchen fitted. At the time, I decided that it would be unnecessary for me to have a dishwasher. I was a single mum with only two children at the time. Now, I have a new partner and four children. Washing up is constant at my house. I am considering having a dishwasher fitted to save time. Is it worth the cost of buyin one and the cost of running it?

2. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I wish I could help you with figuring the costs of running a dishwasher, but I don't currently have one. I would say with 6 people in your home, it would definitely be worth it. I have just 2 in my home and I get aggravated with the constant pile up of dishes. Then again, my apartment has extremely shallow sinks, so putting in a few cups and a bowl or two will make both sides look like they are overflowing. I guess for me, it's just in my mind, because it constantly looks like I haven't washed dishes in a week. I would say it would be worth it though.

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have one and I've never been to a house that has one. I don't think they are common here. So I don't know if they are worth it or not but they are not a necessity. I know a lot of families that have a rule that everyone washed their own dishes so 1 person doesn't have to do a pile of dishes at the end of the day.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I depended on dishwashers but then I moved to a place that didn't have a dish washer and I got use to washing dishes in the sink. They seemed to get cleaner honestly. Its kind of annoying to have to wash off dishes then load them in to be washed. One thing I would be into the dishwasher for is disinfecting but I could just pour boiling water into a dishpan and wash by hand for that in gloves. Plus I don't really like the dishwasher soap. It seems to linger on the dishes.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Ye, they are absolutely worth it. Especially as it sounds like you're in a family home that likely has at least 2 meals a day together. With that many people, the dishes add up rather quickly and you'll be spending far too much of time washing dishes than I imagine you or your family would like to be doing.

My house with 3 other college roommates haven't had access to a dishwasher for a few months now and it's been a disaster for our dishes. And we aren't the sterotypical dirty college house as we actually take time to clean and tidy up on a consistent basis. But it's so easy for dishes to pile up and putting them in dishwasher helped keep our sink clean.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think dish washer is really helpful most of the times. I think it is also helpful to use the dishwasher in a home when they are old people at home, which is the case with me. I have been using the dish washer for at least five years.

7. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    A dishwasher is always worth it, even if you are by yourself. If nothing, it helps keep your kitchen clean as you can put the dirty dishes in the washer instead of the sink as you wait for it to fill up for a cycle. Unless you're the type of person that fills the sink up with water and washes dishes that way, (which by the way, unless you have two separate sections, it's kinda gross) you'll be using the same amount, if not more water than you would running a dishwasher every other day or so.

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    For a single person, it is not worth it because you will be almost out of dishes before you even fill it up. Dishwashers are best for families who need to wash large amounts of dishes regularly. I am not sure about the cost effectiveness of them, but some say it uses less water than hand washing. I don't know if that is really true because we use very little water to hand wash out dishes with tow small bins of wash water and rinse water.

9. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I would say the answer is a definite yes. The total amount of occupants in my apartment is four and there are ALWAYS dishes to be cleaned. Without a dishwasher we'd all be swamped. We all have full time jobs and are too tired by the time we get home to do any dishes, especially after cooking a big meal. A dishwasher is a very convenient appliance that is well worth the cost.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Right now we are just two living at home, but when we moved houses we went from a no-machine scenario to having a dish-washing machine.
    The difference is noticeable even with just two people, that half an our after dinner that you spend every night washing the dishes really adds up, it just takes 5 minutes to place everything in the machine, and since there's not that much to clean, you only need to run the machine every 3-4 days.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you have space to spare and enough dirty dishes to wash, yes, it's worth it. For now I wash all my dishes by hand, we're just two persons living in a small flat, so there's little space to spare and few dishes that get dirty. Once our numbers grow (read kids) and more space becomes available (read bigger house), I can see myself purchasing and installing a dishwasher.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never had the need for a dishwasher, even when I shared my home with other people. When I lived in rented places where there was a dishwasher available,for some reason, it never occurred to me to use it. But I think if you are a big household with four kids, it's probably a really good idea to have one fitted, as it saves you a lot of time that you could be spending with doing something else. As for the costs, there are dishwashers that are more energy efficient than others, and that also use less water. I am sure that there will be some friendly sales persons ready for your questions.

#12Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  13. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    Only if you are real busy would I recommend one. Then again I have never really had good experiences with dishwashers. Cleaning them by hand just seems to good better overall but that is just me.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I currently don't have a dishwasher, but I do miss it. I think it is very much worth it for the savings of time and stress in a busy household. There are only 3 of us at home now, so it isn't so hectic, but I still miss having a dishwasher. Washing dishes isn't much fun, especially when the job lands on one person.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have one and I know how you feel! It takes so much time! I really feel like I have spent at least a year of my life washing dishes. I say get it because now they are much more energy efficient and they use less water. You will probably save money on your utilities because you will use less water. I say shop around and see if you can get one on sale. It would be worth it!

16. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! I had to live without one for almost a year and it stunk! Now I have moved in with my best friend who insists on washing the dishes in the sink before she washes them in the dishwasher, but when I was growing up (family of 4) we just put all the dishes in the dishwasher until it was full and then ran it. No constantly washing dishes all the time. I hope to not be without one again.

17. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    If you buy a small to medium sized dishwasher -- it definitely will be worth your investment. They do not actually cost that much to run but if you are looking to minimize expenses, make sure you fill the dishwasher up completely before running a load and be sure to buy a decent detergent so that you do not have to rewash. Be sure to rinse extra messy dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.

18. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, in my country, dishwashers are not really used by every household. Actually, even if there is a market for dishwashers, I still would not buy one. I grew up washing dishes the traditional way. Besides, I am more confident that the plates are clean when I am the one washing them.

19. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure about dishwasher costs as my family has never had one but I am sure that whether we have a dishwasher or not, I'm perfectly fine with it. I always wash our dishes and let them dry manually. Maybe dishwashers have the added advantage of saving you more time. I still prefer manual dish-washing though. It saves you electricity too.