Are Free Range Eggs Worth It?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Apr 1, 2017.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to buy free range eggs when I can, but when the price is nearly double at times I can't justify it. Often when I do buy eggs, I always end up with a cracked one by the time I get home and I feel as if I've lost money too.

Is free range a luxury, or are they really much healthier? I know ethically it is better, but when it costs so much we then have to question the ethics of eggs then I guess?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy eggs from Walgreens or Don Quiote supermarket, where a doz. goes for 1.99, but I don't know if they are free range or not. 1.99 is such a good price for a doz. eggs. Walgreens has Senior Citizen discount day every first Tuesday of every month.
    [​IMG]

From

you'll find more information about it.

With the Senior discount cost will be even cheaper so we can save more too! When I buy eggs, I bring old newspaper and extra packages to cushion the doz. eggs because I ride the bus and it works-no crack eggs.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me for this comment but free-range eggs are the same as the organic labels which is supposed to be good for the health. Does that mean that when the egg is not free-range then it is not good for us? That's the question that is difficult to answer because organic food and free-range eggs are not time-tested yet so we really cannot say the benefit they give us. And is the price worth it? What's important is that we don't go hungry.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe That's not a bad price at all,and I have managed to get a dozen in Dollar Tree before (not free range) but when you are on a budget sometimes you have to be practical. I do always check my eggs before I buy, but they are fragile and can get broken just if someone knocks into you. I always leave it as the last thing to buy, but broken eggs on route still are annoying.

Once I got home to find two out of a dozen had cracked and I always feel as if I have lost money that way.

#4Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
  5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo :confused:That's so sad especially when you're on a budget and I do understand for I'm on a tight budget too. I cushion my eggs as much as I can, with extra paper bags and newspaper. It helps a lot. I ride the bus too, I buy eggs last too. My carton is foam, which is okay and better than card box cartons which have very little protection. When I didn't insulate my egg purchase I broke one egg on the way home. I since then wrap my egg carton with newspaper and an extra package I bring from home. I hope this helps. An egg or 2 is an omelet we could have enjoyed at home. By the way I just went to Don Quiote and found their 1.99 is up to 2.49.:(

#5Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
  6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I am a budget I do check the eggs and if they are small then I won't buy them as it isn't worth it. I would rather buy a half a dozen large eggs instead. It's a false economy to buy a dozen small eggs as they don't really do much and you have to use a couple if you are making scrambled eggs or something. I guess it's not something people think about; the size, but with eggs size does matter!!

7. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Free range eggs are economical if you own the hens and own them. In other words, if you have a backyard with hens roaming around it, you will be saving a lot of money. You don't really need to buy feeds. Chickens will eat everything you feed them like the guts of the fish you cleaned or your leftover meals.