Are gaming mouse/mice worth it?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by deathbyprayer • Nov 16, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I've been a PC gamer all my life and never did I bought a gaming mouse or keyboard. I never really get how or why I should buy one. So if you're a PC gamer do you think it's worth the hassle? Or if you've experienced it how was it? I always thought they're just for gimmick like "Hey! You're not a real PC gamer is you don't have a $300 gaming mouse and keyboard combo! Buy now champ!".

2. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    To me, it depends on the kind of games you play. I have found that using a gaming mouse makes certain games a whole lot easier to play, while in certain games, they don't do much difference. For example, I play League of Legends and a gaming mouse allows me to pull off combos easier. But in some MMORPGs I play, I can do with a standard mouse.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    As a gamer I would say, yes, invest some money into a decent gaming mouse. No need to buy the highest tier ones, a mid range or entry level gaming mouse is more than enough. What you really want is the ergonomics and variable dpi offered by the mouse. I would recommend a cheap Steelseries or Razer mouse.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think they are entirely necessary but I think buying a higher quality mouse would indeed help a bit. I personally wouldn't spend so much money on the overly elaborate ones but something above average would probably have some noticeable difference to it. Like I said though it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. I've seen a lot of players obliterate the competition with the cheapest equipment.

5. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, definitely. If you're a gamer, of course, it's up to you. My parents taught me to buy the right equipment for the right purposes. So if you would like to be very good at gaming, you should consider getting a very good gaming mouse. What I usually do is compare a few. There are good brands out there, and you can find the right one for you. The one I bought was a Logitech Gaming Mouse.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gaming mouse make you game play a lot more easier and probably more enjoyable than when you are using a regular mouse. I read somewhere that some of the high-end gaming mice are outfitted with processors.
    So for an avid PC-gamer, a gaming money is definitely worth the money you fork out.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends.

For me personally, no, they're not worth it, but it's mostly because my hands are really small. Gaming mice tend to be rather large and they just don't fit my hand the right way.

For other gamers, though, having all the bindable buttons on the mice can make all the difference in the world.

8. hclpd

hclpdBanned

Threads:
    You don't need to buy them, if you don't play online much. On the other hand, if you play online games like Battlefield and COD series, you seriously need to consider buying gaming mouse and keyboard as it will help you with your efficiency. We all know that even a fraction of second mistake will get you killed in any online game.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you play some of the more popular or feature-rich PC games, then you'll find a gaming mouse a necessity rather than a recommendation. They're absolutely worth the price, even some of the more expensive options. Then again, you don't need to spend a fortune on a gaming mouse in order to get one that's going to suit your needs. Logitech makes a number of great budget-oriented options that still produce good results, for instance.

10. CrimsonAdder

CrimsonAdderNew Member

Threads:
    A gaming mouse is certainly very convenient and they can cost as little as 30$ for a decent one. What you're really looking for are adjustable sensitivity settings by pressing a button, good ergonomy as it needs to be comfortable to your palm and grip, and some extra buttons on the sides where your fingers are close to resting so you have extra available hotkeys that are very fast to access that you can customize in the controls option, and save you having to travel along the keyboard with your other hand, letting you stay focused on only 1 section of the keyboard, which is extremely important for fast-paced gaming.

11. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Most of that gamer stuff is just gimmicks and it is true that 90% of them are just a waste of money. Though, there are some good products out there that can help to some degree with your gaming. The fact is that most of it is just a mindset of that "I play better with this mouse". If you believe that you can perform better with it then most likely you will.

12. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe with some games. If you're going to play a Diablo type game then I would say that you should get a mouse. Other than that just get a gamepad.

13. freeofcharge

freeofchargeNew Member

Threads:
    You're right. it's way too expensive to dive into a hobby like this when plenty of great options in the budget realm exist for what you want to do. Go find yourself a mechanical keyboard ( any mechanical keyboard) specifically ones from older PCs. The keyboards that came out of the box on old Gateways are often the most sturdy, responsive, and reliable gaming keyboards I've ever had the pleasure of using. Barring that, head over to amazon and get yourself a mouse that you like. Eventually your hand will get used to whichever mouse you pick so as long as you use the customer reviews to ensure it's presumable responsiveness. You'll be in the clear. Save your $300+

14. xHysteria

xHysteriaNew Member

Threads:
    Depending on the types of games that you play, it doesn't really matter. If it's high calibre like League of Legends, or Starcraft all you'd need is a mouse with a high DPI-sensor. If it's just first person shooters then a regular mouse would be fine, and you'd be able to set the speed of turning on the game it self. Games like Sims, Minecraft and other casual games; the type of mouse is very... obvious.

15. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    If you're a hardcore gamer you would want to have the best possible equipment to get the best possible gaming experience so i'd say it's really worth it. Just don't broke the stuff because then it will be such a waste. At least make sure you can use it for years.

16. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I consider myself somewhat a close to hardcore gamer but I haven't bought myself a gaming mouse in all my years of playing games. I believe that a normal mouse should suffice when it comes to my gaming needs and so far I'm not thinking of buying myself a gaming mouse. I can't really say that it's the same for those who are professional gamers since I think that when it coems to professional e-sports, having every little bit of advantage counts and maybe a gaming mouse gives improves their play style overall.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always been a PC gamer and I also did not have a gaming keyboard, so I don't think it's necessary if you can get by with the regular mouse and keyboard. Sure, the gaming mouse and keyboard can have nifty features, but I can live without them.

18. chanboy

chanboyNew Member

Threads:
    I am a casual PC gamer so I use a cheap Logitech mouse. It fits my needs and never failed on me. If you are a high competitive gamer then you'd probably want a better mouse. Games like CS:GO would require a nicer mouse for the accuracy.

19. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    Like others have said, it depends on what you're playing, and also how serious you are about playing it. If you're playing Counter Strike or League of Legends, and want ever advantage you can get, I 'd recommend a gaming mouse. However, if you're just playing games for fun, or MMOs or the like, you'll be fine with a regular mouse. Personally, I do not own a gaming mouse, not my thing.

20. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    As far as my knowledge is concerned I believe Gaming Mice with high Dpi is only worth if you are buying a pixel-dense display. Something above 1440P or 4K will definitely require you to use a gaming mouse for better performance. If you have something below 1080P I don't think it is necessary for you to buy a Gaming mouse. They are sometimes uncomfortable to use, if you don't get used to it. Good Luck.