Are gaming mouse/mice worth it?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by deathbyprayer • Nov 16, 2014.

1. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    I once found a mouse with a really thick middle wheel, and I used the third mouse button to great effective for games like Halo (this was a long time ago). But, other than that, I haven't found much use for such mice. I have a friend who once played an epic game with just his laptop's trackpad, so it really depends on how well you play a game.

I do think that gaming headphones are worth the price tag, but gaming mice make no sense to me.

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as whether or not gaming mice are worth it or not, I think that it depends on the knowledge that you have. I have been playing the sims 4 on my laptop, and so I do not have an external mouse or a mouse wheel, and that is a key component of the control in the game. But all it took was me going online to find a keyboard short cut or other ways to get around not having a mouse wheel.

3. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I waited for a long time to buy a mouse after I had bought a new laptop. I just loved my laptop's trackpad so much that I played most games without a mouse. Of course, I started missing the ability to roll over things, and use the middle button, which is why I bought another mouse.

4. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I actually bought one a couple of years ago and I got some pretty good use out of it. I would not say that it is anything necessary or that it really changes the experience in a big way, but if you have some cash lying around and are looking for something to spend it on, I would say go ahead. Of course make sure you get one that is worthwhile and not just something that looks cool.

5. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    That's true. If you have some cash lying around you can try a gaming mouse. Or borrow from a generous friend if possible. Anyways, I am looking forward to where we go from here in terms of gaming anyways. VR is something that interests me a lot more.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you are fine either way, as these gaming mouses can be relatively inexpensive from retailers such as Maplin and or Amazon, but if you have no spare money at all, there are usually workarounds. If there are not workarounds with certain games, then I think that those games have a design flaw. You shouldn't have to buy an external piece of hardware in order to play a game on your laptop or computer.

7. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Well if you're a hardcore gamer you would probably need one. It all comes down to technical specs really, some gaming mouse have higher precision, better mapping and all that stuff. Also some gaming mouse have multiple buttons which is useful especially when you're playing games that have a lot of things going in and out like RPG's and MOBA's. If you're just playing casually then gaming mouse/keyboards are just an unnecessary expense.

8. JusApee

JusApeeNew Member

Threads:
    I personally only buy a mouse if it has at least 2 buttons for macros. I really depend on setting macros for stuff like texting a certain message or even taking screenshots or commands. A gaming mouse is only useful if you are really into trying to get the best out of your gaming experience. If you get highly competitive, get a gaming mouse. If you are just a casual player, a nice mouse with decent DPI will manage.

9. Doof

DoofNew Member

Threads:
    I think it comes down to what you consider the benchmark for "worth it" is. The better hardware probably won't improve your gaming skills in any tangible way; however, the other aspects to consider are comfort, durability, and just simple pleasure of use.

Gaming peripherals are for gamers who play games for hours upon hours. They're usually designed to be as comfortable as possible, with attention to ergonomics. Also, theoretically (depending on Quality Control) most of these peripherals should last for a while, because gamers definitely add tons of wear and tear to their products.

And really, it's the small things that matter. A nice LED backlit mechanical keyboard can add some simple pleasure to your environment, no matter what you're using it for. Typing on a mechanical keyboard is just plain satisfying.

The take away here is that just because it says "GAMING" on the peripheral, doesn't mean you're limited to using it only for gaming. I type up papers for school (and this post even) on my "gaming" keyboard, and it's great. A gaming mouse has so many buttons, and often times you can assign macros to those buttons in most applications, not just games. Put Copy, Cut, and Paste on some of those buttons, and you'll definitely speed up your work flow.

10. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    For me it doesn't matterhow powerful it is, but how nice it feels . Therefore ergonomics is the most important feature I take into account, followed by the
    variable DPI to adjust its responsiveness. I think extra buttons are somewhat not necessary, but it really depends of your preferences.

Personally, A mechanic keyboard plus a comfortable and responsive mouse suffice my needs. Therefore I would choose a simple razer mouse with only 3 buttons and DPI on the fly feature.

11. TheOptical

TheOpticalNew Member

Threads:
    Yeah it depends on the game. I mainly play CS:GO and I've Recently bought in for a SteelSeries Razor 100, which comes with a QcK Mousepad, for £20. It has everything you need in a mouse. Extra keys, adjustable DPI, smooth movement, all for a cheap price. The larger mousepad helps a ton too. I recommend it a ton. Check SteelSeries' site for the Razor 100.

You don't need to pay a ton for a mouse, unless you want too and you have the money. Although a cheap £2 mouse feels quite tacky.