Are iPods still worth it?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by beccagreen • Sep 18, 2014.

1. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I'm really not a fan of phones as music player and I tend to use my iPod a lot. But just recently I figured that it's falling apart, my iPod Nano. I saw the new Nano and I thought it was pretty nice and I wondered, do you think it's still worth it to purchase one this day and age? If you're a music fan or an audiophile would you consider buying one?

2. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    What are your concerns about phones as media players? If it's a space concern, like you'd rather save the smartphone space for apps and such, then I think an iPod makes sense.

I'm still a fan of the iPod Shuffles for athletics. It's a nice little device that you can clip on your sleeve or wherever and just forget about it. Much nicer than having an armband or a cord hanging down to your pocket in my opinion. As far as the Nanos or touches, I have no use for them as they aren't compact enough and I don't have issues with my phone for media.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think so, especially if you're not a fan of burning down your battery life on your phone much quicker. Also saving space on your phone for apps and such can be a positive as well. For me, it doesn't really make much of a difference to carry around an extra something like an Ipod. I also like the fact that I don't have to worry too much about the Ipod getting stolen or damaged in some way as I would have to do with my phone.

At the very least, it's great to having for working out and the prices are very reasoable for the Nanos these days.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm more comfortable having just the phone because I have enough handheld gadgets as is. However I can see why you'd want the IPod instead. Not only can it save your battery, you don't have to worry about whether you can multi-task. Sometimes it's annoying trying to play music and an app at the same time because even if an app would let you do that, you'd still have to go back and switch songs every now and then

5. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    Apple products are not really made to last that long. If you think about it, other manufactures such as the Zune and Microsoft has more sturdier electronics. I know I am contradicting myself here, but the only thing I would get is an apple nano just because it is small, lightweight, and also looks neat as a watch.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you like to listen to music a lot, then you can save battery life on your phone by buying an iPod. But if you don't listen to music as much, then it's ok to just use your phone to listen to music once in a while. If I would buy an iPod, I would buy the smallest-sized one.

7. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    If you are a heavy music streamer, I would suggest get an iPod. If you stream on the occasional moment, I'd use your phone. Your phone is quite capable of doing alot of things.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I think they are worth it if you really want one. I say why not . It is a great product and it is very well made, and even though it's a bit pricey, it's at least not as pricey as a phone and it's even a lot more compact. I myself considered it but just opted out because I don't want to carry two things around, but surely if I weren't too against that I'd totally see it as a worthy decision.

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know really, I just feel like they're not made for it and I hate how I have to pull my phone out of my pocket or bag every time I'd like to switch songs. The space doesn't concern me that much though and I think that the audio quality isn't as good compared to an actual music player for some reason.

10. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I already have an iphone, and am of the mind that one Apple product us enough, since they're all pretty much the same thing. It wouldn't be worth it for me to get an ipod since I already use my phone as an mp3 player.
    In your case I would say it is worth it because you don't like using your phone, so I would get the ipod if I were you.

11. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Well I mean if you plan on spending that much on something that you can't call with you might as well buy a good tablet for the same amount of money. Be it Android or Apple you'll probably get more for you money from those.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I think they are but it still depends on what kind of listener you are. If you have a lot of music and you listen to them all an iPod Nano would be great for you but if you only listen to a handful of songs and you want them on the go and you don't really need the visuals then go for the iPod Shuffle since it's cheaper. Or you can just go for the cheaper ones in the market right now like the Walkman or the Go Gear.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I have never been interested in iPod for quite a lot of time. I just felt android is way better than an iPod and have been addicted to android from the beginning. I feel that the iPod is just too costly, hence, many people cannot afford them very easily. I do not understand why the iPod has become so costly these days. There are quite a lot of phones which are of less cost, but have better features and provide better performance.

14. curtclicker

curtclickerMember

Threads:
    I disagree that they are worth it in today's age. You can just pick up a discounted android phone for any carrier and simply use it for its other capabilities. While the iPod Touch is fairly expensive, Android phones frequently go on-sale, and if you aren't looking for a specific carrier, you will surely find a great deal simply browsing deal sites such as this one or even SD.

15. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Ipods are over-hyped in price and what it can do; one can't even use Ipod devices without a Apple type program to upload or download Apple licensed things. If you do desire to get another Ipod or something from Apple, at least search the net for the cheapest pricing, because the value of Apple products will drop badly in the near future,which is why people are selling them still at such high prices, even for a Ipod Nano.

I recommend, adjusting to Smartphones or other devices soon, it's just more beneficial in the long run.

16. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's actually not true. You can use a few third party programs to manage your IPod. As for downloading apps, you can download from the app store directly on the IPod obviously

17. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what type of listener you are. But I think iPods are way too expensive in my opinion. The price of an 8GB iPod Nano can get you a decent Android phone that has far more features and probably a lot more cheaper. If I were you I'd find a way cheaper option than iPods because quite frankly, as much as I love them I don't think their worth the price specially in this day and age.

But I can understand how you dislike using phones. I personally am not a fan of phones as music devices but if you think about it it's really the more convenient and cheaper way to enjoy your music. As for the sounds quality, well you can use a lot of filters and equalizer to make them sound good. The only problem that I have with phones is that the volume doesn't go as high as you'd expect.

18. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    My old ipod is just collecting dust at the moment since I'm not really using it anymore. I have an iPhone and that's all i really use now whenever i feel like listening to music. I don't know though but it's like, as I'm getting older i listen to music less and less. Anyways, if you're a heavy music lover, go ahead and get an ipod. :p

19. xHysteria

xHysteriaNew Member

Threads:
    Really depends on your usage. If you notice that you text more than you call then iPods are still OK. Becuase now there are apps like Viber, WhatsApp, and iMessage (which most people use). But if you fancy calling more than, well, iPods are basically useless because phones already have music players embedded within their systems.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see a point of getting a dedicated music player. I already have my pockets full as it is, so why would I be wasting space with yet another useless thing, when my phone can play music pretty much just as well? And microSD memory cards are dirt cheap nowadays, so.. no, I wouldn't get one.