Are laptops the past?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by classy_ally • Jun 19, 2012.

1. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Neither desktops or laptops are products of the past. I think they are still going to be used many years from now, mostly because how powerful they are getting recently and how easy they are to transport.

2. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have a tablet but I think my laptop is the one I will always want to keep if I had to decide between the two. I love carrying my laptop whereever I go and I just love it. I used an ipad for a while but gave it away because the ease of use of the laptop is way better, At least for me. No I don't think the laptop is going away soon.

3. dreyz

dreyzMember

Threads:
    I think it really depends on your purpose. I have nothing against laptops, but I still don't get them because currently I don't feel a need to have one. Even as a student, I'm only either at my college or at home. My desktop is enough for me, even when doing assignments.

4. Sheila89

Sheila89New Member

Threads:
    I do have a tablet but laptop works best for me because I've got loads of work to do.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've gone in the other direction, I use my desktop system now more than ever. I got hooked on the large screen on it, so much easier on the eyes. I feel like I'm squinting all the time looking at a screen on a laptop anymore.

6. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    Why would they be the past? You can do many hings with a laptop that are hard to do with a tablet. The big disadvantage of laptops is that you need to create a workspace somewhere to open them and start working. You cannot carry them around the house, check something on the Internet while watching TV etc. So they are not mutually exclusive. Now sales of laptops may go down because some people are switching to tablets, but I thing that there is little chance that they are going extinct.

7. churchies

churchiesNew Member

Threads:
    Although Tablets are more space-efficient, Laptops are still king for portable hardware as they can hold more storage as well as being more powerful. A tablet is good enough for general use (checking emails, writing notes) but when you get home you can still use a laptop to play games or watch movies (without having to change the type of video).

8. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    Most of the people are now using tablets or mobile phone to access Internet. I think laptop is not that in demand nowadays.

9. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's funny to see that this post is already more than a year old and I still see a lot of laptops being sold at shops and being used by businessmen and just about every other person I know. So are laptops a thing of the past? Nope. I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

10. fishbowl

fishbowlNew Member

Threads:
    Tablets are fantastic on-the-go, and the innovations on the technology are growing almost exponentially. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of ground it needs to cover before the majority prefers them to laptops. Touchscreen can be cumbersome when trying to get real work done, especially if you don't have a keyboard attachment.

11. indigo

indigoMember

Threads:
    They are not "in the past" as you phrased it. I use several laptops and rarely use my ipad. I enjoy the laptop's keyboard, the large screen and the computing power that it offers. Ipads/tablets don't have word processing programs like microsoft word. Laptops have many more advantages when compared to tablets.

12. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I personally do not think laptops are anywhere near being in the past. I own 2 laptops and 1 desktop and I love them all for their own reasons.

The reason I love my laptops and will continue to use them is that they are still powerful machines while being very mobile and easy to use. I have a small notebook for when I just want to browse and do work on Microsoft Office, and then my main laptop for some gaming, video streaming and more CPU intensive computing. I have never really liked tablets and I am not a fan of touch screen at all really.

Saying that, I am fully ware of the new tablet/laptops that are detachable and purchasing one if quite a temptation. But for now, I can do more than enough with my laptops so I will stick with them. I am certainly not disagreeing that the tablet market is becoming HUGE though.. no doubt on that at all.

13. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think laptops will ever be a thing of the past in my opinion. I love laptops, there is absolutely nothing that will make me change my opinion. I think laptops are actually a thing of the future. As companies are starting to evolve laptops more and more now a days.

14. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    But a lot of these evolving motions are transforming them into half laptop/half tablet right now. I don't want this to be the case and it is always good to see companies pushing towards keeping that solid laptop look and feel. I am very excited to see what laptops are like in 3-5 years, but I will not be following the touch-screen and tablet-like trend.

15. Jaxter

JaxterNew Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think laptops are the past because it still has a large market for anyone who wants to work on the go. There is certainly more competition now since we got introduced to tablets but I still don't think a tablet can truly replace a laptop as it is just not powerful enough. Tablets are great for browsing and playing some mobile games but if you really need to do something a little bit more than that such as creating an excel sheet or powerpoint for a presentation, playing a computer game, or just video chatting with friends, the laptop gives the user a much more easier and pleasant experience.

16. polybus

polybusNew Member

Threads:
    I do not think laptops are the past or outdated technology. Tablets are cool toys but they still cannot perform the same as my laptop when it comes to most tasks I need it for such as drafting and engineering software. I just do not think tablets will ever be able to totally replace laptops for a lot of people. Of course I could be wrong though.

17. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I feel like many adjustments will be made to make the laptop better but the whole idea of a laptop will just never be replaced. I personally can't imagine working without a laptop because my tablet is just a more compact and simplified version of a laptop. Pick couldn't agree more.

18. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I see tablets and mobile devices have changed the way people communicate. There are a lot of people constantly reply on the mobile technology because it's convenient and easy to get hold of other people. I don't think laptops will go away anytime soon because they are the primary computing technology for a lot of businesses. I like having a physical keyboard when I want to write posts, articles, and stories. People use laptops for a lot of things such as records, typing, web design, and more. Tablets or mobile devices cannot be substituted because they don't have the same potential uses as laptops.

19. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    I don't really think so.. I think that students need something to type their papers/do their research on and it would be kinda hard to do work on a tablet.

20. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Reading this I think "wow, time has changed." Technology keeps on moving forward in such a fast motion! From "simple" type writers, to screens with light and moving objects, and now portable screens! I would still continue to buy laptops because I like having them, I think they're easy to work with. But ipads and tablets have my interest as well ^.^'