Are More Expensive Headphones Worth The Money?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by cocolgooh • Jun 3, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I used cheaper $1 headphones for a long time and found that while they were pretty good, they tended to break quite often which made me reluctant to buy any more expensive ones, because I was forever breaking them. However I since received a set of Skullcandy earbuds the Christmas before last, and have since bought additional sets as well, and have really noticed the difference. The Skullcandy earbuds only cost me £5 because they were on sale when I got them, and only 1 of the 4 pairs I've bought in the past year and a half has broken. I keep one set in my handbag, one set upstairs in my bedroom alongside my radio so I can listen to music at night if I can't sleep, another set is fairly permanently attached to my laptop and the final set I have I used for my phone or tablet, but that set the dog got to a few weeks ago. I've noticed that the usual wear and tear doesn't seem to affect these to the extent it used to make my old ones break, so I'd definitely recommend Skullcandy earbuds.

Are they better quality generally if they're more expensive though? Or have I just been unlucky with the dirt cheap ones breaking a lot? Are there any other brands you've found really good?

2. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! The cheap ones are crap, that's why they're so cheap. Actually, the more expensive the headphone the better they are. I have a set of Beats By Dre and they are absolutely amazing! They're Bluetooth so no cords and they hold a charge forever. I love them!

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    How much were the Beats ones you got? I've been considering getting some wireless ones as well (as if having several pairs of headphones already wasn't enough haha!) but I was concerned about how long they might last when charged up, and how long they'd need to charge too? Do they warn you at all when the charge is getting low or do they just go out? My uncle used to have a pair that had a warning light on them, but I didn't like the sound quality of those and you could still hear everything outside of the headphones as if you didn't have any on at all.

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really tried cheaper brands. I did some transcription work before and I used the Phillips headset. I think it costs almost $34 dollars from where I am. It worked great although it doesn't have a microphone so I wasn't able to use it for other jobs. It doesn't have noise cancelling though but that's a good thing so I was still able to hear if my son wakes up at night. You would need to adjust the volume from the laptop or computer though.

Since I haven't used other headsets, I don't know where to compare it. My husband thinks that Phillips isn't a great brand though. For me, it is good enough, I used it for over a year and it still works fine. There are more expensive brands though and this is the cheapest that I've found. I don't know if I have to purchase other headset brands to help me with my work. But for the time being, this is good enough and I'll continue to use it until it doesn't work anymore.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy the cheap ones and it lasts about half a year and costs about 1.49-1.99 depending where I get them. At Don Quiote it costs 1.49 and I was really happy to find it and it works really good and lasting more than 6 months too! I usually go to CVS and get the 1.99 ones that lasts only 6 months. Skullcandy...I'll look for them and see how much it is locally in Hawaii-thanks for the tip.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like everything else, expensive doesn't necessarily mean what you are buying is a quality product.

Truth be told though headphones which are ridiculously cheap are that cheap for a reason and I wouldn't buy them. That said, when buying headphones it's not the price I look at initially. If you don't know which headphones you should buy do some research online.

Go a step further, find out what those of who've used them [headphones you like] say. Did they like them? Then you could make your choice, buy the headphones that don't cost much but are better than the cheap headphones you'd have to constantly replace.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a pair of Sennheiser earphones and believe me, until you have gotten a taste of those expensive earphones/headphones, then you would think that those cheap ones are "good enough" sound-wise. The expensive brands really sound superb as compared to the cheap ones, although from my experience some $5 earphones are decent enough to be used. Just be careful to not get the cord squished or yanked so that it will last. Sony is a good brand too.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You know what, I really don't know. I've had both, and although my expensive ones lasted a while, I feel for the money I paid, they should have been a lot more durable. I then tried a mix of both cheap and mid-range ones, with no joy. I think I may have finally hit the jackpot. I've now hot the SkullCandy ones, and they seem promising. I LOVE them! They don't tangle, and I think they'll last the distance. -and they neither too expensive nor too cheap :) Plus they're easy on the eye, very pretty.

9. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I want to know this, too. My seventeen year old goes through headphones and earbuds like water. We have bought Skullcandy and we have bought the $1.00 ones. And neither one seems to last very long. PLEASE, I need some advice.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I stopped using earbuds. Even the expensive ones were not that good quality. I have since invested in a reasonable priced pair of headphones and two years later I still have them. I have not had to buy any rubber things to replace, like with the earbuds, and have not accidentally had one of the headphones trodden on, like with the earbuds.

11. gats

gatsNew Member

Threads:
    When I use the cheap $1 earbuds they seem to fall apart within a couple of weeks. I like to buy Sony or Sennheiser for quality products that last a lot longer.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    Same for me. But at one dollar, what do we expect? Lol. I tend to find that earbuds fall apart that a pair of headphones anyway. The earbuds could be of the more expensive variety, but there is still more longevity in the cheaper pair of headphones.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think there is truth in it but I don't think it's entirely necessary. Mid range ones probably will give you a similar effect for a fraction of the price and for me I think that's what I would go for the most personally since I'm not really that much of an audiophile even if I do listen to music a lot. I don't mind having mid range quality and I'm not sure I'd be that much hyped about the small difference expensive headphones would give although I'd say that the very cheap headphones do kind of peeve me a little bit so I mostly stay away from those unless I'm just buying them almost for a disposable purpose wherein I just want something I wouldn't want to care for that much and I can be more rugged with them without worrying too much if I break them eventually.

14. ThesePretzels

ThesePretzelsMember

Threads:
    To a certain point the more expensive the better in quality and durability, Skullcandy is better than anything you can get for a dollar.But I still wouldn't spend any more than $50 for Beats by Dre level quality, with Beats your paying for the brand.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    It's true. The ones that are perceived to be in the mid range, and are available for the best and most decent prices, are your best bet, unless you are looking for headphones that have a specific feature that you are looking for. But I am definitely most happy with buying mid range headphones over the more expensive ones. I find the experience is the same except for the price tag that comes with it.

16. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

The most I am willing to pay for head phones is about five bucks. The reason being awhile back my husband brought me a set of nice head phones (can't remember the brand) for my birthday and they were about 30 bucks and they lasted me a whole 4 days before they broke. I was very disappointed as was my husband. After that I brought some 4 dollar headphones and they worked great and I have had them for about six months now. So I don't think it's really worth paying so much for headphones.

17. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I pay 5-10 dollars for earphones. I bought ear phones from the dollar store and boy did I regret it. They broke the first time I used them and I wasn't doing anything crazy with them. The worst part is I couldn't fix them. I would not pay hundreds of dollars from them like some people do thought.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really all depends on what you want them for. If it is just to listen to music on occasion on your phone, I personally don't think it is worth it. To me, the phone that comes with my phone is enough for that. For my brother, who is a heavy gamer, to him the most important things to spend money on is his game or mouse and his gamer headphones. So that's something to invest, for him personally.
    For me at work, I used to use some crappy headphones when I didn't want to hold the phone to my head for long meetings, and the volume wasn't very good. So I bought better ones and that improved the quality of my meetings greatly. So I would say that was worth it as well.

19. Robilas

RobilasMember

Threads:
    Of course $1 headphones won't last much, while on the other hand more expensive electronic items will live longer and even resist to more things (apparently not your dog tho). Even the $5 Skullcandy are a good upgrade, but it's mostly for the durability.

I have tried different pairs of cheap headphone ranging from $2 from $10 and the sound quality is basically the same, but those in the medium-high spectrum are more durable and resistent. If you want to invest a little more a pair of wireless headphones of about $20 will definitely be a huge upgrade, but if you don't care about sound quality the Skullcandy headphones should be good.