Are movie theaters a thing of the past?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by shanalyn323 • Sep 6, 2014.

1. shanalyn323

shanalyn323New Member

Threads:
    In the past couple years movie theater sales have dropped and continue to do so. A lot of movies that come out are not hitting the numbers they've hit in the past with movies like Avatar and the Dark Knight Rises. Movie Tickets are expensive and the food is even more pricey. With other ways of watching new movies shortly after there releases, Redbox and Netflix is simply the cheaper way to watch movies. So what do you think? Will movie theaters end up being something of the past?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They will survive, though smaller ones may suffer. People want to see films as soon as they are released and they need somewhere to show the premieres. It is still a family day out or a good place for a date and is affordable.
    Netflix and DVDs etc are in addition to, but can't replace films in theaters. It can be expensive, so I try to go off-peak when it is cheaper. If theaters did more group tickets, it would encourage more people to come, rather than wait for it to be released on DVD.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think they will ever really become a thing of the past.. Less popular maybe, but that's about it. I don't go very often myself, but when I do, it's because it's something I really need to see before everyone else spoils it for me, but otherwise I'll just wait until it comes out and then I'll go find it online and watch it.. But then again, I've never been very big on going to the movies often, even when I was a child.

4. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Why do you think that it has become a thing of past now? The reality is far from that. It's actually growing here in India as more and more people are coming to theaters to watch movies. I for one like to go movies with my friends every once in a while.

5. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    Increasing prices too much may not be profitable for the theatre owners too.
    They have to work on finding a middle level that both theatre owners and spectators are ok with.

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do feel that with the increasing costs of movie theatres, movie theatres are a thing of the pasts. It is really not possible for many people to afford the ever increasing costs of the theatres and when there are better alternatives to the theatres, why would anyone think about the theatres. The only advantage I find in a theatre is to watch a good 3D movie over there. I do believe that it is not possible to watch the 3D movies and movies with special effects very well in your home. Other than that, I would always prefer to watch the movies in my laptop.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't think they'll disappear.

The thing is, while they are pricey and there are options to watch at all, only a movie theater can provide the movie on a HUGE screen like that. There's an experience that you can only achieve within a theater directly. And people still crave that experience.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think movie theatres will never die out, especially if they have old world charm and screen cult or art house movies. Here, where I live, there is a wonderful little theatre that shows non-commercial films, and often it's hard to get a seat. The cinema is located in an old, historical hall, which creates wonderful acoustic effects and makes it a very atmospheric and satisfying experience.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most film-makers primarily make their money from ticket sales. A little more from DVDs and very little from streaming services. Since they are in control of what people get to see, they could cut out everything else but release their movies in the theaters because that's how they'll get their money back. So no matter how much people get to like streaming services, when film-makers stop making money in theaters, you won't see any movies on streaming services [because without the money how will they make more movies?].

That's why we'll never see an end to movie theaters.

10. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    There is nothing like the feel of watching a film from the seats of a movie theatre. That being said, the movie theatre industry or film industry - whomever was responsible - was brilliant for coming up with the concept of 3D film making. I'm certain that if it weren't for this new feature that can only be produced in a theatre, the movie houses would risk closing down. While 3D film is very over priced, it is well worth the occasional treat for a flick that really floats your boat. I can't think of any better way to watch films from Marvel Comics than to see them in 3D in a movie theatre. Not even surround sound and huge flat screens would do them justice. Yes, I think movie theatres will be around for a long while but will need to come up with more and more ways to capture our attentions.