Are Netbooks worth it?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Strykstar • May 28, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've been considering buying a netbook but I've heard that their power is very limited and aren't able to withstand anything other than the most basic usage.
    Has anyone got one? Should I spend a bit more and get a proper laptop?

2. Moriarty

MoriartyNew Member

Threads:
    I've never used a netbook but everything I've heard says that if you think you might need more than that then you probably do. I know I would rather use a laptop myself and just have a full computer with all of a computer's abilities. If the internet was really the only thing I needed I think I might just stick with an iPad or another tablet, maybe with an attachable keyboard depending on what I was using it for. Netbooks seem kind of like an awkward middle zone between a tablet and a laptop.

3. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    Last I heard they were really underpowered due to their compact size and even struggled with some basic programs. At least last time I used a netbook that ran Windows 7.

I think they are effectively replaced by tablets. You should better get an Android tablet or iPad. Or if you don't like those operating systems, you can always go with a Windows 8 tablet-transformer. It's like the best of both worlds - you get a long battery life, touch screen AND a fully functional keyboard.

Only drawback is that these transformers tend to be rather expensive. I guess that's the one good thing about 'regular' netbooks - they are usually cheaper than laptops and tablets.

4. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that a netbook is pretty useless and there is no real use for it. I would say that you should plan for the future. You should utilise your financial resources and get something that will long outlast your immediate needs and so a laptop would definitely be best for you. But if you are really limited financially then yes a netbook will do.

5. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    I picked up a really cheap one off ebay. Usually I use a tablet for general web surfing and entertainment but if I find the need to do a lot of typing then that's when the keyboard comes in really handy with a netbook.

Kazix already mentioned the transformer, so some tablets already come with a keyboard option - though at a premium.

The netbook I got is fine for basic usage like emails etc but it's not suitable if you're thinking of utlising it in a work environment (it's rather noticeably slow compared to my regular laptop)

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I purchased a netbook for my nephew last year. He says that it's fine for surfing the web, email and watching videos. He claims that the compute itself doesn't have a lot of power. I found it to be a bit sluggish whenever I have used it for light surfing.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    The best use I've found for a notebook is for record keeping/taking notes around in classes. It's really nice not having to take my $600 laptop to school and the smaller size takes up less room in my bag. I also store a lot of my excel documents on there. The best qualities are price, portable, and good battery life.

Other than that, it's not good for much else than light web-surfing.

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I have a netbook and I'm pretty happy with it. I prefer it better than laptop because it's smaller and more convenient to use and bring with you anywhere. It basically just works like a laptop and i really have no issues with mine. I can play games, work on some serious work related stuff and i got no problems with it.

9. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    With a netbook, you need to do some research on the ones that people have been able to successfully up the RAM beyond what the manufacturer states and then be willing to take the chance. If you are willing to do that, then once you get it up to 4 GB, you may be happy for what you are getting versus the price. However, now there are many ultrabooks that may be an ounce or two heavier, but larger in screen size and already starts at 4 GB, can be upgraded a bit and isn't that far off in price.

10. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    At this point, I think no. First of all, an average netbook is as powerfeul as a smartphone and a tablet and they're pretty much being replaced. I'd rather have a tablet than a netbook, they're pretty much cheaper and as powerful as netbook, also the're more portable and you don't have to bring along a bulky power brick. But of course netbooks have they're use since some apps aren't available on tablets like in netbooks but still, I think it's not worth it to get one at this day and age.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've had one before when tablets weren't as much of a standard yet and back then they certainly were useful since they were the only devices of that size that you can transport and work on but now that we have tablets and ultra books I'd say those are the much better options. I think the only thing that sets it apart from tablets is a physical keyboard and I don't think that's reason enough to choose it over a tablet which you could just buy a keyboard for.

12. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    So far I think no. Just buy a tablet, they're more portable and can pretty much do whatever it is the netbook can do save for a few Windows apps that can't be downloaded into a tablet. I used to have a netbook and it's pretty much useless for everything else other than your standard web browsing and minimal computing, I mean hell, that thing can't even play a Flash game at full speed.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have just used my friend's netbook, and it seems ok to use for light web surfing and for playing flash games. It can't run "heavy" sofware and games though, so as long as you just use it for basic work then you should be fine.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is always good to use a proper laptop rather than that of the netbook as I think it is quite delicate to use a Netbook are meant for the most basic of needs which can be done in a better way in a laptop. I think it is advisable to use the laptop over notebook.