Are off brand soda worth the savings?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Dec 8, 2013.

?

Are off brand sodas worth the savings?

1. No - they taste horrible.

33.3%
  2. Yes - they are just as good.

66.7%
  1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    At Safeway, they offer a wide range of off brand sodas. A 12-pack is usually half the price of a name brand soda like Pepsi or Coke. I don't find some of them measure up in taste or quality. The one off brand I do enjoy though is

. It's Safeway's version of Mountain Dew.

2. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think so. I'd rather not drink it all. Soda is a luxury for me. I rarely ever buy it because I'd rather buy something healthier for my house. But when I do buy it, I'd rather buy the real thing or none at all. When they are off-brand they taste more like flavored sugar water than anything else (even though they all are really). The taste is always off.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say so these days. They have gotten a lot better than they were like 10+ years ago. I used to get the store brand diet cola at Dollar General back in the early 2000's and it tasted pretty bad, but the ones I've tried from my local grocery stores are just as good as Coke or Pepsi.

The main ones I would advise against are the Soda Stream brand syrups - they taste awful, and all of them, even the non-diet ones, contain artificial sweeteners.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    You said it all by this statement. There is a wide range of unbranded sodas and it's all about try them to find those with the best taste, many times similar to the renowned brand labels or even better than them.

But not just going to Safeway, there are many other stores with either off-brand sodas or store-brand ones.

As in example, I found Walmart's cola soda really good and even better than Coke.

Agree with OhioTom, many years ago most of these unbranded sodas (particularly cola sodas) were awful, but today it's easier to find tasty ones.

#4Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you said, "off brand", you mean the non-famous brands, right? Yeah I have bought those kind of sodas. In my opinion, they taste like the famous brands too, so there's not much of a difference except the price.

6. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped drinking soda years ago.

Though, recently I tried a off brand along with a brand name soda. The off brand deserves to be called a off brand because everything about it is off. I remember back in the day the off brand sodas could actually be compared to some name brands.