Are Paper Plates For Parties Worth The Money?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by cocolgooh • Mar 9, 2016.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is acceptable. I also use paper plates often and I don't feel that guilty about spending money that way because it saves me time and effort washing dishes. Also I tend to do some tricks and reuse paper plates if I can like if I'm just eating a sandwich then I'll put a paper towel on top and just throw away the paper towel later on and because of that I get to use the paper plate again.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We only use paper plates if these factors are present:
    • If we're going on a trip and we have prepared food, we would bring paper plates so it's easier to throw away the used ones. We won't have to bring dirty dishes with us during the whole trip.
    • If the guests at our house exceed 40, then we'll have to use paper plates since our plates won't be enough to accommodate them anyway. Plus, it can be tiring to have to wash plates every so often just so our guests can have it to eat on.
    • If we have a lot of kids on the party, we'd rather use paper plates to minimise the incidence of accidental breaking of plates or even glasses.
    Otherwise, we would use our breakable plates for small gatherings. If it's just 20 or less people, then it's a greater choice to use our regular plates since it's easy enough to wash them anyway. Usually, this happens during birthday celebrations of adults since they don't need super grand celebrations anyway.

3. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I sometimes help at my aunt's events and she always uses these plastic plates with wax paper coverings on them to save the time cleaning up after and more importantly, to save water. We don't have dish washers here so we only wash our dishes by hand. I think it would be more practical to just use paper plates as they can be easily disposed of. Plus, you already mentioned the things you will be able to save.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well in my case I use the dishwasher, so not only am I using the electric and dishwasher soap when I was plates, but I am also using water. I think it makes sense to use paper plates in some instances. I don;t typically pay a lot for plates when I get them, and it saves effort having to rinse dishes, wash and put away. I typically use them for large gatherings, and sometimes for other things as well.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The fact of the matter is that most people don't have parties all that often, so it is not like buying paper plates would be a regular thing. Paper plates aren't too expensive either, depending upon here you go to buy them. Maybe if you are a party planner, yes. But that is not a regular thing. A lot of people pay a hefty price for their plate sets, and some have even more expensive plate sets than the regular ones that most people have. To risk those plate sets getting broken at a party is more of a loss than paying for a set of paper plates.

6. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    On the long run, they most definitely are not worth it. However, they are very convenient. I personally use them because my family reunions can get BIG. In mexico you can't have a small amount of people over, it's always most of the family and that involves way too many dishes. I do feel uilty about it sometimes so we occasionally adk guests to bring their own plates when its a brig your own food contribution kind of thing.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I'm having a children's party then I certainly would want paper plates because you certainly wouldn't want your plates to get broken, right? But apart from that, I would prefer to use the glass plates instead, it's more cost effective.

8. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    There's a few factors in my opinion about whether or not you are going to use paper plates and even cutlery. First, it really depends on the occasion. If you are hosting a backyard BBQ for you and the neighbors, yes you can use paper. If you are hosting a dinner party, then I would go for the real thing. The formality of it all is a huge factor. The other main factor to me is what you are eating. I hate trying to eat steak on a paper plate. Even the thick paper plates, you are going to run the risk of cutting through the plate while you are trying to cut your steak. Also, fancy things do not belong on paper plates. No one has ever served caviar or lobster on a paper plate.

9. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I can understand the logic behind wanting to use paper plates and paper/plastic cups for a large get-together or even an outdoor picnic. It saves one the hassle of having to wash up dishes and glasses afterwards. However, for special occasions, like special holidays, when there is a lunch or dinner, nice ceramic plates and glassware are better choices, in my opinion. It also depends on the guests that we are having. I find too, that on these occasions, some of the guests, especially if they are family, would offer to help wash up some of the dishes, knives and forks and glassware for you. This has often been the case for me, so all of the washing up does not fall on the hostess.

I must say though, that I prefer to use plastic plates as opposed to paper ones if the concern is about dishes breaking or chipping. They can also be washed and re-used again although they are not as durable as the ceramic ones.

10. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I think most people just use paper plates for picnics and casual parties or maybe for a graduation party or something. I don't think many people use disposables when they are doing something like having Thanksgiving dinner for instance. I just think that it is best to use more formalwear for that occassion. However, in the short term or casual events paper plates are best, and probably cheaper than washing all those dishes. You can relax and enjoy your guests.

11. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Check this out:

I'm not a fan of the whole mustache idea, but I think the newspaper thing looks cute with all the colors. This would work great for a party that was going to have paper plates.

Save money on other stuff so you can buy pretty plates if you're concerned about the cost. That sounds like a good compromise to me. It also sounds like something I'll be doing often.

Saving where you can so you can splurge a little elsewhere can be a good plan. I will keep using paper plates anyway. The convenience is too good for me to pass up. :)

Some things are worth a little extra (and may not even cost that much in the first place if you get some great deals).

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Paper plates and paper fork and spoon are the usual implements for a party unless you are rich and residing in an upscale village or when you have a caterer for the party. We are a middle class family and it is understandable that using paper plates is more economical particularly in the laborious chore of washing plates and silverware. And when there is no party and we use paper plates, the children would hastily say that it is like we are having a party. For practicality, paper plates can surely save you from the hassle of labor and you avoid the risk of a broken ceramic plate when there are children guests.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the new light plastic plates have now replaced the paper plates which are better and easy to use especially with provision to keep liquid items builtin more and more people are using them especially for outdoor parties. In fact, when we have a large gathering and throw a party on our own (no caterer involved) then there is nothing better than plastic/paper plates.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to hosting a large party I prefer to save time and hassle from washing the dishes so I prefer using paper plates. When I have a small family gathering I don't mind using my own plates since not too many will be used. I can find pretty cheap paper plates where I live so it's almost equal to the price of the amount of soap and water I would use to wash them.

15. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually look at the details so I don't mind. If it's a big part then I see no issue with it as you'd obviously want to spend less. If it's small and you can afford better utensils then it probably would be more appropriate in cases like that.

16. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I think paper plates are an unnecessary expenditure. They will be
    discarded immediately after use unlike plates. Its sensible to borrow
    plates from neighbors or relatives instead of purchasing there. Even
    if you buy the more expensive melamine plates, you are likely un use
    them in future.

17. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    We seldom host events at home simply because it's tiring and time consuming. You have to be ready a day earlier to cook all the food and prepare everything, especially if you're hosting a huge event. After that, you will have to clean all the mess, including plates and other utensils which is bloody part. Using disposable plates and cups are a big help during these times so I believe it's totally worth the money. Not to mention that paper/plastic plates, cups, spoon aren't that pricey so it's fine :)

18. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I used to buy paper plates and cups earlier when I started hosting parties for my son's friends. But then after a certain point, I realised how much havoc I am causing to the environment by trying to skimp out on water and soap etc. So I went out and bought a lot of good quality melamine plates for parties and get togethers. I know it is a lot of effort to clean them out afterwards but it is still worth it. Also, the kids can eat much comfortably out of these plates than they could from the paper plates.

19. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, using paper plates do make life our whole lot easier when entertaining a large volume of people, for example when my son birthday. We have more than 20 kids invited and if I will add our family and adults, etc there would be around 40 people. I prefer using the paper plates, not only that we are saving dish washing but we don't risk like our ceramic plates to be broken by the kids.

20. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the occasion really. If the occasion is small with only small number of people I would not buy paper plates and serve them in my own plates. If it is a large party and the crowd is big I never hesitate to buy paper plates because I would be washing all the plates and utensils used alone after the party is over.