Are Paper Plates For Parties Worth The Money?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by cocolgooh • Mar 9, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Using more water (and soap) v. using paper plates, doesn't seem like it would make a huge difference environmentally speaking. Paper plates are biodegradable, and you can even purchase some that are made from recycled paper goods.

On the other hand, I have heard that the foam plates are not good for the environment. I don't like those anyway, so I don't tend to use them. I prefer actual paper ones. I have paper plate holders to give them more stability.

I'm having a party soon, and I'll be using paper plates. Now, to find some on sale.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    • For parties, we prefer the soft type paper plate because it is meant to be used over a plastic party plate. Using paper plate isn't just convenient and time-saving. When we're expecting a lot of guests specially during kiddie parties, we don't really have that many plates in the house. It would be a waste to buy plates that you can only use on occasions. We can save money on soft paper plates which we usually place over a cheap reusable plastic plate.

#42Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  3. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    They can save a lot of money. Also they are less of the garbage if used properly. You can see that you have to only use them when needed. And that makes it easier for you to store and scrape them. And that being said, paper plates are going to be lot harder with handling part as well. I personally think that party should make use of them instead of real plates.

4. BMT1014

BMT1014Member

Threads:
    Actually, it's case to case basis. If I have a party at home, I don't usually use paper plate. It's not convenient to your visitors and some of them are not comfortable when they eat. Although it can save time and money, as much as possible I want my visitor to feel comfortable. If we have a beach party or pool party, that's the time I used paper plates. It's convenient, easy to carry and there is no fresh water available to the beach to wash plates.

5. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    If you buy them at a dollar store, then YES, they are totally worth it.
    When I use regular dishes that needed to be washed afterwards, I noticed how many paper towels I was using to dry them, and I thought to myself, "Wow, what a waste. What a waste of paper towels."
    You can get a really good supply of paper plates, any color you want, at a dollar store for only $1.00. I never feel guilty about going through paper plates as long as I know I purchased them from a dollar store. Sure, they're a little flimsy, :D so just remember to hold them steady. ;)

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    In the end they are probably not worth the money, but when you think about the whole sunk cost of the entire operation, maybe that lack of having to clean up will just mean a better overall experience. In that case, I say go for it.

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    In some instances it is just so worth it especially where you are catering for larger numbers of people. No washing up, no having to worry about breakages. Ok so you may have to fork out a little more but they normally aren't too expensive.

8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would go for paper plates if the party is casual or for kids but if the gathering is formal then paper plates are not in. I would rather go for a catering service that takes care of dishes, service and cooking at competitive price. I have tried both kind of parties and surprisingly the ones manged by catering services cost us lesser than what we spent on the parties we managed ourselves. Incidentally, paper plates or leaf made plate (common in our parties in certain areas are very much in)

9. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer using disposable plates for a small gathering for the kids, it is much more manageable that way. But when I have my friends over, I prefer to use proper plates. Many of my friends help me in clearing away the dishes and washing them later after we finish eating and I help them out when I go over to their places. This is something we all decided to do when we recently were talking about various types of pollution and their implications on our quality of life. We were actually talking to our kids about it when some of the kids pointed out out that the thermocol dish we were using was an environmental hazard. That is when we decided to use to regular plates for each of the kids' parties and then everyone will help wash the plates later so that the host is not burdened alone with loads of work later. It is working out really well for us all.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    The paper plates are quite a waste of money-so you might look into the melamine plates that you can buy at Walmart and Target-also check out Amazon and the Dollar Store for plastic plates as well. I think if you have big get togethers-like every weekend, then i think you come out ahead in a big time way over a long period of time. Also just think about how many trees you are saving-and also you will make a treehugger very happy as well !

11. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    I always use paper plates, plastic spoon and forks and plastic cups. You can just throw it whenever it is used instead of washing them which requires water and I don't want to waste water at all. Using plastics also require less effort to use and I admit that I'm a little bit lazy so I thank paper plates for being a lifesaver whenever there is a party.

12. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    This must be surprising and will have such an appealing time as it. It would let us enjoy a lot.

13. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    Paper plates are good for gathering, gathering that is above then 30 people of equals to. On friends dinner or gathering that consists 10 people or less then this i use my expensive kitchen set.

14. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    Nice Taraa, It depends upon the guests yes, of course, Gathering affects a lot.