Are Pets Allowed In Grocery Stores Where You Live?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Jun 6, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to run to the vet's office and then make a quick stop at the grocery store on the way home. I was hoping I could bring my pet into the grocery store just for a few minutes inside her carrier, but I called to check ahead of time, and it's against the law for any animal to be in the store other than service animals.

I hate leaving an animal out in the car, but the AC will be on, and I'm leaving a note on the carrier letting people know I'll be right back. I can do more lengthy grocery shopping in a few days while she's in surgery, but for now, I need to pick up a few meds and some food then get her right home. Fingers crossed that some overzealous person doesn't break my windows to 'rescue' her.

2. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure whether or not pets are allowed in grocery stores in my country, but if I think carefully, I cannot ever remember seeing anyone in the grocery store with a pet. It may not be a good idea though, since dogs may tend to sniff at the food on the counters or even remove something unless it is a very well-trained dog. It is possible that a stray dog may wonder into the store, but actually taking a pet there may be frowned upon. Maybe there are people who may leave their pets in the car if they are only going to buy a couple items from the store and then leave.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dogs are not allowed in grocery stores in Botswana. In fact, you never even see people leaving them outside while they do their shopping. In the UK, as far as I know, they aren't allowed in stores either. But it's fairly common to see them tied to a pillar or something just outside, waiting for their owner. But I'm like you, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane, I'd feel horrible leaving them in the car or even just outside. I don't think they like that at all, because most of the time you can see it in their faces, and some even start whimpering.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely not. Where I live, the pet bringing culture is still very small. It is rare to find restaurants, hotels, grocery stores and stores in general that accept pets inside. Not only that, but they will frown at you if you even ask. That is very hard, because I own a cat and a dog, and sometimes we want to travel with them but hotels rarely take them. If they do, they usually charge you an exorbitant fee to accept them.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would think that would be a violation of the health code. Can't you just leave the cat at the Vets while you do your grocery shopping? I would think they would not have a problem watching it for a few minutes. It is better than leaving the pet in a hot car. I just don't think it is a good thing to do. I mean if it was 65 outside maybe, but not as hot as it probably gets in your area. People might get worried. I never left my dog in a car for more than a few minutes. That dog would act hysterical anytime I left though...and attract the attention of everyone in the vicinity.! It was so embarrassing!

6. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I am also uncertain whether or not pets are allowed in grocery stores in my country, but in general there are not too much of an issue in bringing some pets inside a store. Small dogs such as pinscher or pug are not big deal, but bigger ones like a hairy golden retrievers, Chow Chow, Fila brasileiros could bring trouble to the table.