Are plants an important part of your work space?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Frogurt • Sep 12, 2014.

1. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Plants are not allowed in our office premises, though I personally don't mind having them around. Our building administrator has strict policies on the placement of plants in the office. I don't know what's the reasoning behind this, but that's how it is in here. The facade of our building is full of plants, however, and simple landscaping has been applied to every corner including the entryway.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer an office with plants too. Having worked in places both with and without them, I definitely feel better when they are around. They oxygenate the air,, look great and calm you down - everywhere should have them. I do agree with DrRipley about fake plants though - completely pointless!

3. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Well it is said that plants do help to relax and to improve work performance, but nobody I have worked with has tried buying them. I do think that works and is very well worth trying, specially if they're beautiful plants, but my bosses refuse to give it a try.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Their presence doesn't really bother me in any way. I don't care if they are there or if they are not. Either I'm still able to work the same way as I do. But I'm able to work more productively and comfortably when I have a lot of free space, when the place is minimalist, so if the plants in the office or work area occupy so much space to the point that they make me feel like I'm not free to move in any way that I wish to, they play to be a barrier for my productive work.

5. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    Yes I do have real plants as I hate the plastic ones as well. I don't know how others feel about this, but I think plants in my work space have a positive efect on my mood for sure.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    For me, yes. I also work at home, so using the computer for a long time makes my eyes hurt. Having an indoor plant is something that comforts my eyes. I read somewhere that looking at something green rests them.

7. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    There aren’t any plants inside our office, but the surrounding area is quite beautiful. I like when I can rest my eyes and stare out the window at the landscaping and foliage. Would be nice to have a couple inside. I was never big on plants/flowers before, but I’m considering keeping some at home. That is, if I don’t have too brown of a thumb. Still need to get that indoor herb garden started, but my timing may be off because we seem to have some rainy weather coming… hahaha.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Live plants will help clean and refresh the air in your office, provided they have enough light to grow, and they are maintained and watered properly. I forget how efficient they are vs. using something like an electric air purifier, but I read an article on that once and was surprised at how well plants work.

Artificial plants can look nice too, but obviously they will do nothing for air quality. Plus you will need to dust them regularly too - so you may want to look for one that will be easy to dust.

My main concern with live plants though is keeping them clean and their surrounding areas clean. Sometimes they can get all moldy and mossy if over watered, and you can get "root rot" and other issues. Also when they die, some folks are too lazy to toss them out so they sit there dead and decaying for weeks/months sometimes.

9. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've read about plants making for a beter work environment, but I don't have one myself. I'm too forgetful to water it every day and I think it would be too much of a hassle.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have requested plants in our office particularly in my room. It may not be true that such a plant in a pot could give me the oxygen that I need but it's the feeling that I want, that feeling of green. Some offices have nice designs and decorations but without plants, that office would look drab to me. Now I have a pot of welcome plant in my office room and everyone who sees it admire the green leaves.

11. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    It certainly helps to have some plants and greenery in the office. It somehow relaxes me and I can view a different thing aside from the cubicles, walls, ceiling and floor. I also love nature so I am fond of plants and it reminds me of parks or recreational outdoor places which relieves my work stress. I also have plastic ones in the house and it is good for just viewing, but doesn’t really give off the organic and living vibe of a real plant which you can touch or smell. There are a lot of offices that have been placing greenery because it can really help in relaxing and easing the stress of its employees.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love having plants around the house and at work. In our school library our librarian has a green thumb so it is filled with all sorts of beautiful plants, some that flower and some that don't. I have to say it has a calming effect on the children. It's such a natural space, there is also a large fish tank for the kids to look at which they find quite soothing too. I would agree that plants provide both psychological and physiological benefits. I know certain plants can improve air quality and I think the greenery would reduce stress and sets a positive tone.

13. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I don't know why but I always keep a little plant in my desk, I feel like lowkey it makes me feel more relaxed, and as it is a cactus I don't have to water it that much. Also, plants are great in decoration, but that is just my opinion anyway.

14. CherylTorrie

CherylTorrieMember

Threads:
    I have worked in offices with and without plants. I actually prefer no plants as I have the worlds blackest thumb and I tend to kill plants without ever being in charge of their watering, feeding or trimming. I just can't leave well enough alone and I think I know when they are dry or when they need cut back and I really don't. :)

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any, but maybe I should. My desk often gets cluttered, but I've really been making an effort to keep it ordered and tidy. I think a small plant might be a nice addition really. Certainly would make the room seem less bland anyway.