Are printers still crazy expensive?

Discussion in Office Supplies started by Strykstar • Oct 21, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I remember a couple of years ago someone made the comparison between the prices of toners and printers, and it was cheaper to buy a new printer, which brings a toner, rather than buy a toner replacement.
    Is this still the case or have the prices adjusted a bit?

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Not crazily expensive, but they are still expensive, the real quality ones. You could buy those cheap printers, but expect that you wouldn't be having that satisfaction that the quality printers will give you. I think the issue now is not really the printers, but more importantly, in the long run, are the inks and cartridges. This is what's going to kill you. As for me, I would rather buy a printer that's expensive, but at the same time offers a quality output, cheap, but long-lasting ink.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The inks are the expensive thing and how long they actually last. This is one thing I do read reviews on as a long lasting cartridge is much better value in the long run and if they are available at a cheap or reasonable price. I would never get a HP again after discovering their chip technology that prevents refilling, even generic brands don't work so they force you to use theirs. I even tried putting in an empty color one and a full black one, just to get black, but unless both are full it won't work. In other printers as long as there is a cartridge in each it will work when you switch to black only.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen some really cheap China-made printers which can be great for someone who doesn't do a lot of printing. The downside of it all is that they can be very slow. It can take more than 30 seconds to print one page. So if want to print a large document it would take a really long time. To save money on printers, I'd suggest buying a used one from someone you trust.

5. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    The generic toners do not work in the printers either, so that is not a way to save money. I have a printer I love that goes for $100-$150. It is an HP Photosmart and my pics come out like postcards. The ink runs me about $50 for the four colors. My brother has a much more commercial/professional printer and his toner cartridge was $120. So yeah, I could get my printer for his one toner.

6. MichelleTheConsumer

MichelleTheConsumerMember

Threads:
    I buy cheap printers. I try to stay under or at least nearby $100. I call them disposable. I also look into the price of their inks. That changes from time to time, but it's important.

I always get at least two years out of a printer, and because I live in Maine, if a printer were to go bad ridiculously quickly, I have the option of getting a new one as our Implied Warranty law allows me get it fixed, replaced, or have my money returned as long as it is seriously defective through no fault of my own, and that it is still within the parameters of its "useful life," as opposed to just wearing out. (Generally speaking, this is 4 years.)

I've done this just one time, because the printer died within two months of my buying it. I took it back to Best Buy, and they returned my money, which I then spent on a new printer.

I understand that there are 9 other states in the Union which have implied warranty laws, though people rarely realize there is such a thing.

Added: I just looked up which states have implied warranty laws. They are: Connecticut, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Vermont, Washington, and West Virginia.

#6Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  7. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I've now invested in a laserjet printer, and I could not be happier. True, it's a tad more expensive than an inkjet one, but the money and frustrations that you save from having a printer that actually works is just glorious. Furthermore, the print quality is just so much clearer and vivid compared to an inkjet printer. I honestly think those are worth the price. If you're looking to save money, either buy your own ink (not ink cartridges from the company), or you can look for people selling theirs.

8. Cory Jenkins

Cory JenkinsBanned

Threads:
    Color printer can be expensive however laser printer turn out to be very affordable if you're printing just black and white.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    They are very cheap nowadays, especially the ink, as compared to before. That's only if you choose to buy generic ink though, but in my opinion they work just as well as the official ones anyway. As for the printers themselves, yes, they are already way cheaper now than they were before, probably because not many people buy them anymore and also there has been lots of technological advancements in just the few recent years.

10. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    I guess it would depend on what you call expensive. I've had great luck with almost all of my printers and I've never spent more than $100. My latest is a Brother that I paid less than $50 for, although it's normally about $90 - I naturally used coupons and a sale. Ink is much cheaper these days, too, if you do some research. I buy all my ink through Amazon, using the two or three companies I've found to be reliable. It's far, far less expensive buying there than in any of my local stores, plus I can earn most of the money through the various reward programs I do.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think printers are that expensive. Even printers with built-in scanning, photocopy and fax functions aren't as expensive anymore. Some printers are sold for as low as $30, while all-in-one printers are sold at around $50 above. These prices are definitely within your budget. Try the HP brand or Best Buy. They're relatively affordable.

12. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Printers are cheaper then the ink or toner that goes in them! I would actually save $12 or so a month if I just bought a new printer every month instead of the $32 ink combo kit I need to replace the old ones. I print alot of coupons so I go through alot of ink and paper. I don't find the need to go through all the work of uninstalling and installing new printers every month so I just buy the ink package.

13. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Some printer companies like Epson you can buy the refillable ink cartridges and just buy the ink when needed. It is much cheaper then the ink cartridges. I think HP also has it but I am not sure. You would have to ask the clerks at the store. You can also look at the refillable cartridges and see which brands of printers it will fit. You are right though... you can buy a printer for $40.00 and its ink will cost you between $30.00 and $50.00. Here is a link to a site that talks about the Epson one to give you an idea about it.

Hope this helps

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Printers are getting cheaper all the time. It is the ink that is expensive. However, you can save some money by purchasing generic cartridges from Amazon or eBay. Some office supply stores offer a cartridge refill service and you can even purchase refill kits to do the job yourself, at home.

15. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    Its not really that the printers are expensive, its the ink. Ink cartridges that I have had to buy were like $20 a pop and they don't last very long, so you are constantly shelling out money for those tiny little things.

Honestly you can get a quality printer for less than $100; the one that I currently have was $49 I believe and it does very well (its a Printer, Scanner, Copier), but the ink is what makes me mad about it.

16. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    The key point basically: Ink engineering is costly to create, and you pay for dependability and picture quality. These fluids are not quite the same as an innovation viewpoint, including that clients worried about expense every page can purchase "XL" ink cartridges from HP always last two to three times longer, I recommend those.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Printers are far from being crazy expensive, the main issue with printers is the ink, we pay sometimes as much for the ink as of the printers, that's where the printer makers get their profit from.

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are definitely some that are crazy expensive, but trust me, they are worth their price. If they are expensive, then you can expect something great from them, durability and full functionality. If printing is indispensable part of your professional or personal life, then having an expensive printer is sure that you wouldn't regret. Besides, more often than not, in expensive printers you'd usually have cheap inks. But understand that this isn't always the case.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a big fan of Brother printers. You can usually pick up a low end laser one for less than $60. These printers are workhorses. They are durable and you will get more than your value out of the printer. The cartridges can be bought for around $70, but that's for 10,000+ copies. The cartridges are about $20 to $25 cheaper on Amazon.

20. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    It's not the printers that I think are ridiculous, it's the ink! My printer cost me about $200, which isn't a huge deal, except ink for it costs me $30 per cartridge. For normal day to day use that wouldn't be too bad, but I have a photography business, and I use about 2 cartridges per week. :(