Are Robots Taking Jobs?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jason76 • Nov 3, 2016.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:

Some people are blaming other nations for the loss in US jobs. However, some are saying that robots are mainly to blame. Do you think the rise in robots is the main problem?

On the other hand, some claim to have facts which present a different picture.

2. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I think that if robots didn't exist, there would be less product and therefore, I think that would be a lot worse. Robots/machines are invented to not only save money but to speed up item manufacturing. There might be some jobs being lost because of robots but I don't see it as a major or even noticeable issue.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it is only partially true. We haven't yet such a stage where robots have made their presence felt in job industry barring a few like auto industry but those jobs need robots for sure because they are too risky for humans.

4. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It would soon as the technology is getting advancement. But I think it would be a case-to-case basis. It is up for the company concerned to use robots for the work. That is for efficiency and less labor force expenses, though the overhead expenses or the initial expenditures are too costly.

5. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't believe that humans will ever be out of jobs robots or no robots. For machines can't be created without human brains and where human brains are used there is always a limitation.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In the movie The Terminator, the robots eventually turn on humans. Does anyone think it will come down to that scenario in the future? Given that scenario, should we put a limit on bots or bot research?

7. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I believe we should not depend more on machinery. It is a fact that technology has helped us a lot to known the unknown but when it comes to robots they do eat away our job opportunities. That is what is actually happening nowadays.

Recently in a well known cloth manufacturing unit more than 10000 employees lost jobs when the company bought 100 robots, each equipped to do the work of 100 employees. It is adversely affect the job opportunities in almost all sectors like communication, banking, transportation and all other sectors.

The purchasing power of middle income people is actually diminishing and rich is becoming richer while poor becomes poorer. This will only widen the gap in wealth distribution. Technology should be used to help us and not against us.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Well, looking at things cynically, I'd have to say that robot jobs are boring. For instance, farm-workers might spend hours picking vegetables, but who wouldn't argue the job is boring? The only good part is that it probably develops character, note how scrubbing a base with a toothbrush effects people in boot camp, and it's good for exercise and muscle development.

Finally, note that auto assembly jobs are generally boring, but they're ones that pay well. However, should they pay well, and why not use robots?

9. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I totally agree that automating repetitive jobs can really help companies to grow. Also there won’t be any errors and they can run the business with perfection. But I am of the view that it has to be looked more on a humanitarian ground. It will only help the entrepreneurs grow with a low operating cost. Still the worst suffered would be the unskilled workers in the low/middle income category who will be thrown out of job due to automation.

Some people argue that it increases the job opportunities in robot manufacturing sector. Yes, it does create jobs but not to the extent at which it is eating away job opportunities. Moreover, they need only skilled workers and physical labor is not required. Unemployment is one of the burning issues all over the world; automation will only add fuel to fire.

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it's a combination of both. Outsourcing of jobs to other countries can't be avoided, because the companies stand to save money that way. As for robots, it's the same since they don't have to pay any wages, unlike if you hire a human. So we have no choice but to adjust to a new reality.

11. Lazar

LazarMember

Threads:
    Sure, but no mater how much we need robots, we'll always need humans more, so I don't think we need to worry about that.

12. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I live in a third world country where robots aren't that popular. But the government tried to introduce the use of robots in picking tea but there too much protests. Most of us youths are jobless and picking tea among other casual jobs are our way of earning. We saw the robot as a threat. It's true that robots are taking our jobs.

13. kingcool52

kingcool52Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is as much a problem at the moment as it will be in the future. Robots will eventually take certain jobs such as manufacturing (like it has for certain parts right now) and even teaching. Low skill jobs will definitely be taken over by robots in the near future. To be fair even jobs like taxi drivers are under threat from things like self driving cars and skillful jobs such as pilots could be under threat as well

14. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I see that if this trend of use of robots is not checked it has the ability to throw many out of their jobs. At the moment it may not be glaring that robots can take jobs from people but with advancement in tech I am thinking this technology may become so developed that it could be used in many jobs.

15. elitesquatter

elitesquatterNew Member

Threads:
    I have read this recent tech news this year that around 30+ Japanese employees in a firm got replaced by AI. It sounds really advanced and yet unnerving at the same time.

16. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    On a comical note, I'm sure low level college math courses like pre-algebra or calculus would get taken by robots. However, replacing practitioners with robots would be scary. Note, they are usually medical students who fill in for doctors for less urgent jobs. Anyhow, it's obvious fast food jobs would go robot and that's terrible news for many in the falling developed world economy. The only solution would be more training in math and science, but the goal may be unrealistic.

Would anyone trust a robot for stuff beyond menial labor as doing doctor or nurse jobs?