Are sales more important than Thanksgiving?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Gin0710 • Oct 28, 2014.

1. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Do deals matter more to you this Thanksgiving Holiday? I have a really hard time grasping the idea of spending Thanksgiving at a store, forcing other people to work on a holiday that is supposed to represent the unification of this country. It's becoming clear to me every year that people care more about spending money and having materialistic things than taking a day off to spend with family. I personally would rather be home, watching movies with my kids than out in a store with a bunch of strangers who are all out for themselves. That's just me though.

2. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    This is a great question!

I guess it really matters what kind of family you have. If you have a semi-dysfunctional family like mine, then (for me) sales are definitely more important and valuable that spending time with my family. But if I had this great, wonderful relationship with my parents and siblings then of course I would prefer Thanksgiving over finding a good deal.

I know someone don't like the idea of making employees work on holidays because they miss time with their families. But, honestly, many of them really want the overtime pay. And, there are lots of don't have families at all. I used to work in group foster home, and many of the former foster kiddos are more than happy to work on holidays so they can get the overtime pay.

But this all being said I have NEVER shopped on Black Friday (well as a grown adult) and probably never will. I don't like huge crowds!

3. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I did it a couple times and I hated it. I hated being pushed and shoved over iPods and it's not like I could afford anything anyway. I just went with my mom because she wanted free stuff. I guess that's part of the fun, but doing it on Thanksgiving is just wrong to me. I know theatres are open specifically for those who may not have a family to spend the holidays with and they're looking for alternative ways to spend that day. Like working or going to the movies. I just think the retail stores are just becoming more and more greedy, more and more about making money than anything else.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, but I do recognize that not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving. I don't think employees should be made to work, but it's fine if they choose to work the holiday. There are many people that would for the holiday pay. I don't have a problem going to the stores to check out what they have on sale. I might find a bargain or two.

5. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    You have shared here that Thanksgiving is your favorite holiday. I think you should know about the history of this holiday. Would you like to share it with other members that's why this day is being celebrated? I think in this way other members who had no idea about Thanksgiving Day will able to know about it. Would you like to answer it?

#5Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  6. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I really dislike the idea of stores being open on Thanksgiving. Not everybody celebrates it or cares, but people who work in retail should have the option to celebrate with their families. Sales go on all weekend. There's nothing you need to rush out and get on Thursday. It's all just marketing crap to get people to shop an extra day.

7. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    I like all the discounts as much as anyone. But for my family Thanksgiving is still about having a big get together, tons of food, and Dallas Cowboys football! Then we think about going crazy shopping. I also really don't mind some stores opening on Thanksgiving. It is inconvenient when you really need something and everything is closed!

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind the stores being open, I think one could make an argument for them to be open as well - beyond the usual "they're just being greedy" sentiment. I just think the employees should dictate if they are open or not. In other words, poll the staff and see if there are enough people interested in working the holiday, and if so, do it. If not, don't. Just don't force people who want to be with their families to not be with them. You never know what the new year will bring, each holiday could always be our last one with each of our loved ones.

But as others noted, the holidays can be really hard on people who are alone or away from their families and have nobody to celebrate with. I think it makes it even worse when they want to go out of their house and do something, only to see everything is shut down. Talk about being depressed, then you can't even find something to do to take your mind off of it.

I always liked how some of the local bars I would frequent would stay open on the holidays, some even offer free dinners on days such as thanksgiving. It's a nice thing to do, and a nice way of saying thanks to all the patrons and regulars that support them throughout the year.

9. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    you are right soultakerkage it is really inconvenient when we need something and everything is closed. But if we think about those people who are the owners of that stores and they want to enjoy the celebrations, then what will you say about it?

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    No, I want to celebrate Thanksgiving and forget about the sales. I have never gone shopping on black Friday and don't intend to. The most "shopping" I have ever done that weekend was go to the artisan faire and look around mostly. The only thing I have ever been able to afford there was toffee, so I am mostly going just to see what is there and admire the skills of the artisans.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't find it that much of an issue. Some people may just not have family to spend it with so it's good that they have some places to go to for some food and entertainment. Those that do have families fortunately will have this holiday along with some others but even though this is a special day I think even regular days should be treated as special get together so as much as possible anyway. We don't need special occasions and government regulations to tell us when to celebrate whatever it is we want to celebrate.

12. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    These days everyone is thinking about different occasions like Thanksgiving Day, Christmas day and New Year. According to the topic here I want to talk about Thanksgiving day is. Let me know guys what do you like to do on this day? I love to eat the food especilly pumpkin pie by my mother or sometime in different hotels. What about your routine and plans for this day share with me?

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's good for you and all but not all people celebrate it or think it's even worthy of celebrating. You might have learned a different history than some people.. especially those whose families went through your "unification". We can't all be forced to live the same way.. those who don't celebrate, shouldn't be confined to their homes in utter boredom.. and businesses need to compete more than ever. No one group should have it their way over all others....

14. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Business owners are opportunistic. When there are occasion that are potentially will generate sales.. it will be more important to them in order to have the business running and produce sales that will sustain the business. For this reason that some of the business owners closed their eyes and heart on the emotional side of the occasion. I think in some way, this can be done without having a problem.. as a worker myself, if I am paid over-time, I can work during holidays.. and spend the rest of my time celebrating with the family afterwards.

15. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I had to work thanksgiving last year. I had half the day to spend with my kids I still got to watch the parade and eat dinner even if it was a little rushed for my benefit. The reason I picked to work that day was anyone who did got a big discount coupon, and I needed every deal I could at the time just to get my children the basics for the upcoming holiday. I think it was probably a fair trade.

I have never shopped black Friday and looking at the crowd who showed up when I worked there. I don't think you could pay met o get into that mess again.

16. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I guess that some people put more thought into the sale than the Thanksgiving holiday itself. That is pretty sad because this day should be for people and family to get together. However, if you think about it, people have different priorities. Who can blame them for going to the sales?

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it's the one day of the year when my family gets together. We eat a nice meal, play games and watch movies. It's a great family day. Even though we (the kids) are adults, we still manage to come together with our extended family and friends on Thanksgiving. My dad and my brother used to watch football games on TV. Now, my brother watches the game with his friends.

18. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Okay I understand that not everyone who lives in this country will celebrate Thanksgiving. That's fine! Enjoy your day off ON US if that is the case. I don't expect the stores in Canada to be open on their Thanksgiving just because I don't celebrate their Thanksgiving.

19. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you want to spend the day with your family without interruptions, then you should do that. But, the high horse POV of the "unification of this country" is laughable considering what the Pilgrims did to the Native Americans. Having said that, you have to understand that for many families, Black Friday IS part of their family traditions and it's gone back years and years.

Now, if those people don't have a problem moving it onto Thanksgiving, then I don't have a problem with it either. If we are going to go by stereotypes, then it's all the womenfolk that are doing it anyway, so it's not like the menfolk will miss them as they'll be watching sports, but they will have to get up and get their own leftovers while the women are off shopping. :rolleyes:

But, not going by stereotypes, but reality, Thanksgiving and Christmas are some of the hardest holidays for many people to deal with, either because they no longer have any family or because of the family that they do have, so yeah, they go out on those days just to get away from the pain.

Stay home with your family and enjoy your holiday as you see fit and let others do the same.

20. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    I think it is beyond the point of ridiculous. I got out of retail for this reason. Retailers are making it harder and harder on employees. Many have "black out dates" where you cannot request time off (which I think is illegal). Others have said that the employees get overtime pay. That's great, if that's what they want. What if you don't have a choice? I spent two Thanksgivings and Christmas Eve's in a row working because of greed. I was done after that. I had an opportunity to become store manager, but I left based on the open during holidays policy alone. They ask too much. Have a heart. Find something else to do those two days out of the year, please. You have 363 days out of the year to shop. Do your fellow man a favor.