Are sleeping pills bad for you?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Jun 10, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When one is unable to sleep for a long time, that person may be tempted to try other remedies to cure his/her insomnia. I've looked up some info about sleeping pills but learned that they could have some bad side-effects. Or if you use stronger stuff like barbs, you could get addicted.

Since these drugs in the long run cause their own problems, are there home-made insomnia cures which are relatively safer to use?

2. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Anything that's too much is bad for the health. If you are using sleeping pills only for one time, then you're not going to reap its bad effects. On the other hand, if you regularly does, then chances are you are going to have to suffer its bad side effects like constipation, diarrhea, headache, heartburn and parasomniacs like sleepwalking, sleeping eating and sleep dri

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well they are a drug so you could easily become addicted. I don't know what they do on a one time basis but I'd never try them because I know that they would only make it harder for me to sleep so when I was having sleep problems, I'd just tire myself out and sometimes drink milk. If you are unable to sleep for a long time and not just having trouble getting to sleep like I always have, then you might want to consult a doctor. The medicine will only be a band aid and not a cure.

4. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have occasionally taken something to help me sleep. I don't like the grogginess I have the next day so I avoid these pills as much as possible. Sometimes I am over tired and can't fall asleep for a few days. This is when I will use one of these pills to knock me out. Sometimes the need for sleep has be the priority and taking something can help more than hurt.

Sleeping pills are a drug and the fact that we can buy them without a prescription doesn't make them any less dangerous. We need to be aware of any drug we take and exercise caution. I don't think sleeping pills are bad if used responsibly but all too often they are abused and that is where the trouble begins.

5. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I don't encourage sleeping pills as Ive seen how its done someone that's taken them for a long time. My brother works third shift so when he got home he'd take sleeping pills to help him. He done it for over a year the same schedule. Well, he tried to stop taking them but he was "addicted" so his doctor said. He did eventually get over that ordeal. He no longer takes any sleeping medicine.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was prescribed sleeping pills during a really bad bout of depression. Getting a decent night sleep really helped my mood. Sometimes they are necessary, but long term use is not recommended as they are addictive. The same applies for over the counter medications too. Over-reliance is very dangerous.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well they require a prescription to be able to purchase them, so I guess they can be bad for you especially if you overdose on them, then it can actually kill you. I have never needed sleeping pills ever since I never had trouble sleeping, but I know there are some over the counter products like Melatonin that can be purchased without a prescription.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Exactly. Anything can have bad side effects unfortunately. And depending on your sensitivity, sure, you might even have some the first time. Long term effects won't happen until you use too much, though.

9. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    Relying on a pill in general is not the best choice. By taking sleeping pills, it may help you, but you need to ask yourself why you are needing them in the first place.

The obvious answer is that you cannot sleep. why not think beyond the simple answer to that question? Why can't you sleep? Sleep is a natural function. What is wrong with your body that is not allowing you to sleep? Is your diet bad? Are you stressed? Maybe you just focus on the cause instead of trying to hide it.

10. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes - sleeping pills are BAD for you.

I have worked in the insurance industry for years. One of the biggest issues among people these days is drug addiction. No, they aren't on the street corners chasing a pusher. They are at their doctor's office getting another prescription for a pill they just can't function without.

You know what we call Fridays at my current job - PHARMACY FRIDAY. It's the one day in the week that most of the calls are about prescriptions. Please, whatever you do, try not to get hooked on prescription drugs. Use them ONLY if you have a condition such as diabetes that you have to control.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I believe that sleeping pills should only ever be used as an emergency measure. If you can't sleep for three days and are starting to feel strange and become a danger to yourself and others, then take a strong dose of valerian pills and knock yourself out. If that doesn't do the trick, get the mildest pharmaceutical pill on the market and try that. I think the less drugs you involve the better, as your body is perfectly capable of finding its own balance again.

12. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, the less drugs the better.

Well, everything you consume is a drug as it effects your body on a chemical level. That's normal. What is not normal is how some of these drugs can almost instantly effect certain chemicals that normally would never fluctuate as rapidly.

13. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Living healthily is the only way to cure insomnia I believe. Eating the right and healthy food, doing exercise, and not wasting too much time on the bad emotion side, can help someone to sleep peacefully in the night.

There is always a reason why someone is not able to sleep, but what they do is rely on a drug without bothering to find out and solve the cause of the inability to sleep.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think they are that bad for you, but if you make it a habit then it could probably become problematic in the future. I think some people just become a bit too dependent on the pills that they aren't able to sleep without it, so they end up having to maintain a habit which can become costly, but as far as health is concerned, I think there are much worse chemicals that we could take in on a daily basis since sleeping pills do look relatively harmless to me.

15. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Melatonin can lead to nightmares and bodily harm, can't recall where exactly, after a few weeks of continued use.
    In terms of other sleeping pills, they tend to vary, but most commonly lethargy.

In the end, you have to weigh the benefits of pill induced sleep versus limited to no sleep at all. Of course, if you can take a more natural route do everything you can to stick to it, but for others it isn't as simple.