Are Solar Panels Really Save Money On Our Electricity Bills?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by luckycharm • Oct 15, 2016.

1. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I was planning to install solar panels on my roof so that a major part of my electricity bill could be taken care of. But when I closely examine the deal the cost of implementation could be really high. With that money in hand I can easily pay off my electricity bills for the next two years or so. Even though Government offers subsidy to encourage use of solar energy it is not very useful. As you need to change its battery after some time you may be at a loss at the end. I think Government has to give more discounts. Nowadays our Government has to borrow electricity from neighboring States and spend a lot of money on that. This could remedy the situation very well.

Do you use solar panels in your home? Do you find it economical?

2. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends on where you live. If you live in a country that doesn't use Nuclear Power, it may be then a good idea to install Solar Panels at home. One good thing about solar power is that the Energy company may pay you in return by you selling back your electricity to them, and they call it net metering. They do this here in the Philippines. If you want to learn more about Net Metering, you may want to visit this website >

3. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Some nations are more sunny than other ones. In that case, geography might make a major difference in whether or not solar power is a better option. Obviously nations like Egypt would be more solar friendly than Ireland. However, I could be wrong.

4. JoushaP

JoushaPNew Member

Threads:
    I don't have any solar panels at the moment. Due to the fact my electric bill is roughly $50 usd a month at the moment.

I'm looking at starting off small and working at building it up from there. What most don't realize is that cutting back on your consumption should be looked at before purchasing solar panels. Minimizing your current usage is free. The money you save from that can go towards a solar array.

Some people don't think about it as much as they should. Try cooking more on a open fire with free woods, hang dry your clothes, stop using aircon and use a lot of fans. Those are the cheapest ways to saving money. Don't spend money to save money. You just need to look at what you are working with and maximize your time and efforts.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not against solar power and in fact we are on the lookout for developments. But for now, solar panels are not cheap and not reliable either. In case solar energy systems become feasible then I'm sure homes will shift to solar energy since it is clean energy. And since wwe are still in the grid that means solar power is just a novelty.

6. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I am planning to install solar panel on our roof for we have a lot of electricity consumed every month. I think if I could have that one installed at home I could save money for electricity and I could spend it to some other necessities at home. I haven't canvassed yet as to how much a solar panel costs. I know it is too costly but it is worth it to have it at home. In our place, we have a big vast of area of solar plant which is already in operation. So it would come a time that I would be subscribing or getting a connection from the said solar plant later.

7. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    In Brazil, the solar panels is a nacional trend, after of the government approved in 2012 Net Metering (Net Meeting is the ability to sell excess power back to the electric company). There are some problem like initial investment that it is very expensive. Moreover, some people still is not really convinced about the solar net metering efficiency.

8. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. They do help to save money in the long run but how long will it take you to see the benefits? Calculate the cost it's going to be to install them which is usually a lot. Over time the money saved will pass the cost needed to implement it. I think it's a good idea but you can't depend on it 24/7.