Are sports drink really helpful?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Jan 7, 2015.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I used to work as a landscaper and let me tell you, we never had cold water around. We would only be able to drink hot water after a long day in the sun. Hot water just didn't hydrate me enough so I tried Gatorade. For some strange reason, the Gatorade didn't become as hot and it actually hydrated me more than water did with only a few sips.

2. Malibeast

MalibeastMember

Threads:
    Unless you're a professional or elite athlete, no really.

Sports drinks contain glucose, which is a source of carbohydrates, which is a source of energy. If you are fairly idle, then mere water is sufficient, as you aren't losing many electrolytes by means of perspiration and you don't need as much carbs. Moreover, when you're dehydrated, water is a healthier liquid to drink -- than, say, a sugary drink such as Gatorade -- as it is quickly absorbed into your body.

Just drink water.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I can't particularly say that I felt any difference that I can mention as something differentiated. It was just a different kind of drink (at least for me, obvious ;)).

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have taken sports drinks sometimes but I can't validate these claims of these wonderful minerals that they may contain. All I know is that these drinks may help to cool my thirst without the addition of sugar, or if any sugar is present, it's in very small amounts. I mostly, drink water to satisfy my thirst, however.

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    While performing exercises energy is being expended and there is gradual dehydration to gather energy back and strength again to keep up with the activity sports drinks are very helpful. They are not just mere soft drinks we get to buy on the shelves, they are specially formulated drinks capable of providing the required energy and hydration to sports men and women getting exhausted while exercising or doing sports.

6. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    They deliver(sports drinks)and replace the electrolytes and carbohydrates and help rehydrate your body-but you probably need to exercise for a hour before you need to drink a sports drink. Also these drinks do have a lot of sugar, although not as much as soft drinks-but they could actually make you fat if you do not exercise-and drinking these could up your blood pressure over time with to much sodium in them as well.

7. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Well they are pretty useful since they help re-hydrate your body and provide you with valuable minerals but you should consume them moderately.