Are tattoos bad for skin?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Adryan • Mar 21, 2014.

1. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    I was thinking of having a tattoo on my arm but was not felling confident about it so just wanted to know about tattoos and their bad effects on one's skin!:confused:

2. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    Not in my experience. I have my arms, thighs and back done. Other than the initial healing process; there is no need to be concerned. When you first get your tattoo, keep it clean and covered. Letting it breathe at night. Get some good lotion; with oatmeal. Your artist will go through these things with you though. You do not need to be concerned, tattooing has come a long way.

3. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Tattoos can definitely be bad for your skin. Especially if you do not take care of them. I have heard a lot of horror stories. I personally was never in to tattoos so it never effected me personally.

4. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I got my first tatoo and I can say I haven't had any trouble out of it. It healed within 2 weeks . I used the A and D ointment on it and I can say that it healed really quick I haven't had any problems. I am thinking about getting me another one on my shoulder. I think as long as the person who doing them are clean and use clean instruments things would go great.

5. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    If you don't feel confident about the tattoo, I'd leave it for a while longer. It's something you could have for the rest of your life, so it's best to be sure. I think getting a tattoo that is very personal to you is easier to live with. Anything else, and you'll more likely regret having it done later on in life.

A couple of my brothers are regretting having some done as they were just things they found attractive at the time, and never meant anything personal to them.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd be more concerned in the long term. Are you still going to be happy with that tattoo in five or ten years? Of course there are procedures to get rid of it again but they might leave scaring or depigmentation. A friend of mine thought it would be a great idea to have his face tattooed but after a while it turned out that it was really causing him a lot of problems. He also found it very hard to get a job. It was a long and expensive process to have the tattoos removed again. So, think carefully about the design before you have your skin scribbled on.

7. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    Just as long as the process is sanitary, go for it. Here in our country, they do not really practice sterility.

8. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    If you get it done by the right person (company) I don't think your skin is at risk at all. All the horror stories you hear are from people who tried to get it done for a ridiculously cheap price.

9. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I'm always inclined to stand against any form of body piecing. sadly, I didn't have proper reasons to back my views. That stopped when I read the

. I hope the link was helpful and confirmed your fears.

10. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I would say no personally. I have a few a tattoos and have done for a while the oldest one is almost ten years old now. I have had no problems whatsoever. They have always healed fast and without problems. I have two on my arms where you said you may get one and they are absolutely fine. Just make sure if you do decide to have one, you get it done by a licensed professional and you get the relevant aftercare information and products.

11. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    For me, tattoos are a way of self expression and art appreciation. If you are having doubts on having a tattoo then I suggest you do research and know the pros and cons, the risks and benefits of having one.
    If you have decided to get one, make sure that you follow the proper way of getting inked and go to a professional tattoo artist.

12. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Tattoos aren't bad for the skin, from what I've experienced. I have 11 tattoos and have got all of them done at reputable, clean places. I've never had any problem with scarring, infection, or anything else. They've always scabbed over and healed pretty fast. I think that as long as the place you go is sanitary, you should be fine. Good luck!

13. brandeis

brandeisNew Member

Threads:
    I have many tattoos on my arm. Still i have not suffered any type of side effects from my body tattoos.

14. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    I think that once the tattoo is complete and it has healed properly there aren't any effects to the skin. Except even if you have had your tattoo for about a year it can still get very dry and when you scratch it enough it can cause just a little swelling of the skin that's tattooed. It might freak you out (as it did to me) but don't worry it only last for about a half an hour and then its back to normal :) hope that helped :)

15. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I have three tattoos, two on my stomach and one on my arm. I have never had a bad reaction to tattoos but I have seen people who have. It seems as though those with sensitive skin should stay away from ink.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, tattoos are not "healthy" for your skin, but I'm not sure how bad they are. I have two small tattoos, one on my left foot and another at the back of my neck, and I don't think they will be bad for my skin. They are just there! When you make a tattoo you need to care for your skin not to scab - you need to moisturize it for over 30 days until it's fully healed.

17. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Tattoos act like scar tissue in many instances. This means that the area is more susceptible to sun damage and other issues. In addition to the tattoo fading, it also can slightly increase the risk of skin cancer because the shading of the ink confuses the body's natural tanning process leaving the skin without the natural protections a tan provides. This does not mean a tattoo is necessarily dangerous but it does mean that you should never expose it to the sun without sunscreen or preferably sunblock.

If you go into a place to get a tattoo and they don't give you instructions on how to properly care for it - sunscreen and moisturizer - walk away and go elsewhere.