Are Tattoos Fashionable and Edgy Anymore?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by shopnow1 • Sep 21, 2012.

1. Mikered25

Mikered25Member

Threads:
    Tattoos are now used as a form of expression and self-reliance. Some tattoos are used to show a sign of individuality and purpose. The standard cross symbol tattoo was used to show an affirmation of faith and religion. I have a tattoo of my own and it happens to be a Japanese symbo and it means strength. I got that tattoo as a reminder of all the things that I may go through, I must always remain strong.

2. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    As far as "fashionable", I don't know, that's really opinionated and it's always been that way. Some people like them, some don't, that's just life. Same with edgy, some people will ALWAYS find tattoos edgy. I don't really think the perception of them have changed over the years. Maybe there's a little more common now but that's about it. Tattoos will always be a mixed opinion topic.

3. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think tattoos have lost their edginess. They are here to stay. No wonder you see more and more people from all walks of life and age groups get one.

4. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Tattoos are fashionable for people who treat them that way. Tattoos in the west mainly used to be something private and now some people have them up and down their arms. Some people feel they have meaning and some don't.

5. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    They seem so common now, they're kind of boring- at least the single ones. I think if you have your arms covered in them (or something similar), that's still pretty edgy. You really have to commit to something like that and it's harder to cover it up if you decide to do so.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I did you the term "generally" and the example of getting a boyfriend tattoo'd onto yourself. I did not say all tattoos are meaningless or even that most were. I said that generally the impulse behind getting one fades while the tattoo remains. Getting Snooki's face tattoo'd on yourself is not going to be a good look when your 30 nevermind later.

7. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I know some people who rock the tattoo look. One of them is a basketball player in our university and it really looks good on him. He is tall and muscular and kind of good-looking actually and girls just fall over him once he wears his jersey. My point is not all people look bad with a tattoo and not all people look good either. It depends on your body build and it wouldn't hurt thinking about getting a tattoo because once its there, its pretty hard to erase.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Getting Snooki's face tattooed on yourself is not a good look regardless of how old you are, haha! But no, I hear you. Some (especially younger) people do tattoo impulsively and tattoo things that are either meaningless or have fleeting meaning. And this is a very bad idea. But not everybody does this.

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have any tattoos however I don't think it's a new trend or edgy. I think tattoos have always been edgy or different but the issue that's new is the fact that more older customers are getting tattoos. Those in their 40s or older in the baby boomer generation are branching out and trying new things.

10. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    Tattoos are not that cool anymore; at least not when every other random person you meet seems to have one. Its become more of a fad than a way of showing rebellion. I'm not the kind of person who likes to see old people reviving their cool by sporting tattoos. Getting butterflies tattooed between sagging boobs are so NOT cool !!

11. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I have 2 and they are both meaningful and cannot be seen unless im in underwear. I like them if they mean something. I dont like it when you look like a pish posh piece of artwork or like a newspaper but it is true - everyone has at least 1 now

12. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think tattoos are as edgy and rebellious as they were in the past since society on the average accepts them today. But I do think there is some room left for rebellion and edginess depending on your socioeconomic level and other factors. Many employers in the business, education, and medical sector still won't hire applicants with visible tattoos like the one's that crawl up a women's chest and a men's neck. Also a few parents still find it ugly and offensive. So, for that kid, tattoos still mean rebellion.

Certain tattoo designs have become lame like the butterfly tattoo. I think a new tattoo trend, not so new really, is to get tattoos with asian or mystical meanings -- symbols and stuff (not the yin/yang symbol. it's totally played out). There's a tattoo style called

that's pretty edgy and new for the West. Sak Yant designs are normally tattooed by magic practitioners and Buddhist monks from Southeast Asia, with a bamboo stick sharpened to a point or a long metal spike. They "are believed to be magic and bestow mystical powers, protection, or good luck." People are actually flying to Asia to get this done. Angelina Jolie has one on her left shoulder. I think it has a mysterious edge to it, especially with all the paranormal/supernatural shows going on now.

13. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never been fond of tattoos. The majority of tattoos I see look tacky and cheap. Are tattoos still popular? I would say yes, they are very common today. Are they fashionable? I suppose popularity suggests they are fashionable but I don't think so personally.

14. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    In my opinion, it only becomes fashionable and edgy if it fits the one wearing them. Some can really wear it yet still look artsy and decent. I'm not much of a fan of tattoos especially if some people have them too much. That's just not desirable to the eyes.

15. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    In a way, they can be fashionable and stylish. But, we should also be careful not to overdo these tattoos. When you can see tattoos more than the skin, this is totally out of fashion. Tattoos should accentuate your skin. They should drive attention to your skin.

16. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I guess that tattoos are popular only among particular people. Personally, I think they don't suit everone. It's also important to carefully think about the whole idea before making a decision about a tattoo. In my opinion a serious businesswoman with a tattoo looks ridiculous.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that this is the generation where tattoos have become extremely popular, and they are now considered as a form of self-expression rather than a statement of rebellion. I personally find large and exposed tattoos appalling to look at, especially if it covers up the whole body part like your whole arm or back, but the ones that are small and hidden can be quite tolerable to look at.

18. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Women with tattoos is a massive turn off for me. I don't think I could date a woman with a huge tattoo, it repulses me.

One of my ex-girlfriends decided to become a 'tattoo' girl. She was beautiful but now I feel nothing for her, the tattoos represent a change in who she is, for the worse.

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I think tattoos can be very beautiful an a form of art but now a days that isn't the case it seems everyone is getting tattoos to be cool putting senseless things on their body for no good reason and getting tons of them all over i love tattoos when they are meaningful and have a beauty i don't like the clutter of tattoos around my town i see everyone with tats and they look trashy because they are all over of just random things that don't mean anything and it's every so it looks like someone just drew scribbles all over their body when tats are of something meaningful well thought out and put in places where they don't clash with other tats they look very nice.

20. gabstaff

gabstaffMember

Threads:
    Yes you need to research the artist that you want to get your tattoo from. My wife has 8 tattoos, some of them are meaningful, others she regrets. I do see society becoming more accepting of tattoos, because I see more and more of people in customer service have tattoo on their forearms, which seems kind of weird to me. The shoulders and back and calves are all great places, because they can be easily covered up.