Are We Dependent On Our Computers?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by pafjlh • Jan 26, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    This is a queston I want to ask becasue after yesterday when I had a major issue with mine I realized how important it is to me. Well, actually this is something I realized some years back when one of my systems crashed. I am no ashamed to admit that I am dependent on my laptop. I have to go out here to earn money and look for work. Without it, I am pretty much lost. That's how important it has become to me.

So, is you computer as important to you. It just seems as if these days we have allowed technology to take over things we use to do in the physica world such as look for work. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing because the Internet does make it more convenient but the key is being able to access it first.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's sad to say but yes we are in so many ways. Not only the internet but to store information and to play music or movies. As a writer, I deliberately write long hand whenever I can so I have no temptations of distractions on the computer and also the fear of it crashing and losing everything.
    My parents don't use computers and they don't want to, they don't need to, but as they don't use online payments they have to rely on the mail and to look up numbers they have to use paper directories. We all did at one point, but these days it's quicker online and expected.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely dependent on my computer but I have not been successful getting any money outside of the internet. Also I don't like my city so I'd rather entertain myself with the computer and similar devices or chat with people online than go around town.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally am dependent on computers because without it I wouldn't have a job. I'm a graphic designer and I work from home so without the internet I'd have to go back to being at an office and without a computer I would probably have to learn another skill. Also most of the world's information is already stored digitally by now, I'm assuming.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people, up to a certain extent find computers to quite useful to them. Search engines for example make it very easy to find whatever information you seek. And then these days even if you aren't on the net, you'd still need a computer for office work. If something was to happen to computers one day and they all stopped working, a lot of things would come to a standstill.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very dependent on my laptop. I nearly had a meltdown when my computer crashed a few years ago. A meltdown is a bit of exaggeration, but I was really upset. I do earn a part time living via the internet so that was part of the problem. I also don't like to be cut off from email and having access to information.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to confess that I am very much dependent on my computer/laptop. I am not working at the moment, save online work, so my computer is the only means that I currently have to make any sort of income. Secondly, my computer is my source of entertainment. I could not tell you the last time that I watched television. I download everything that I watch, and spend a lot of time on Youtube for when I am cleaning and need background noise/entertainment.

8. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends on your lifestyle. If you're an office worker or somebody who works online, then you'd be dependent on computers. If you're somebody who works at a farm or such, then computers will mean little to you.

Personally, I am dependent on computers. A lot of my work is saved on my computer. If I don't have a computer, I don't know how I would be able to complete my tasks. :D

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is nothing wrong with it. We're doing what humans do.. evolving. There is no stopping it and why would we want to? Every generation thinks we should be doing what we used to and hold ourselves back, but we're HUMAN, good luck with that lol. Since the beginning, we've done nothing but take something and make it easier. To save time and energy. That's where we are in our evolution and the only reason it's not ALL good is because we.. us in the right here and now.. are witness to the beginning of a new era and we haven't fully transitioned yet. We're getting fatter and sitting more and falling victim to technology in many ways, but it's also enriching our lives like never before. It's a matter of being smart about it; not letting it ruin your health. Otherwise, screen on! :D

10. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    yes. My desktop is what i need to earn. Its what i use for my freelance work. And even when i am taking care of my kid, my desktop still is useful to educate them and that it helps showing my kid a video from youtube so she'll learn or keep her occupied while I do some chores.

The tablet isn't really that useful for me. But my laptop and desktop are.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I'm definitely dependent on having some kind of internet access, even if it's on a tablet because I have to list items on ebay and stay in touch with customers to make sure that they receive their items.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I depend on my computer to work, no question about that what-so-ever, but I recall this summer for example that I was a whole month without touching it, not even accessing the net. It was liberating... :)

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make an actual living thanks to computers, but I could just as easily find work in a non-computer industry, and I'd be fine. I only rely upon computers because they're convenient, but I could get by switching to a life that doesn't have computers in any meaningful capacity. It's the Digital Age, so I don't see too much of an issue with computers being everywhere.

14. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    In the hunter-gatherer sense of the world, no. You can pretty much do anything fine without them and your life would be fine but for some people, especially in our generation, a lot depend on their computers to do their jobs and earn a living and that includes me. It's kind of a scary thing to think that if all the computer on planet Earth would just magically stop working, the world would shut down almost instantly.

15. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, I am. And I don't see a problem with it, it's the 21st century, why not live the 21st century life? :) We have to move forward~

16. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    Yes we are. It's a basic necessity nowadays. It's kind of funny how people treat computers as if they're mind controlling machines that exists to enslave humanity and that we should all stay away from it for extended periods of time. It's just another tool for us to use the only problem is that most people tend to abuse it but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing for the rest of us.

17. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    In today's human world, a computer is not necessary to life but it will give a human the "leading edge" in knowing things if used properly. A computer is merely a electronically encased tool used as a leverage to project and display human creativity, ideas, facts, and records. I believe the computer will become redundant in the next 25 years if current technology trends continue, and then humans will move on towards more enduring memory technologies found in crystals and the human DNA.

18. redheadrebecca

redheadrebeccaNew Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty dependent on it- I have a smart phone, so I pretty much on use it for work, but my work is over the internet, so without it I wouldn't have a job. I did go a long while without it last year when my old computer completely broke, and I had to get a brick & mortar job to save up for a new one and go to the library and use their computers until I could get back to my projects.

19. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Even more so than average for me, given how I do quite a bit of part time work on the computer. I think I could live without it for a few weeks, as I have done before. Work is the only real issue though.

20. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Yes is the short answer for that if you're looking at it in today's perspective. There's really no way we can go on today with no computers (assuming you're referring to computers not only as PC's but every of form of the technology). Yes we can go on without them but we have to adjust and go back to the basics.