Are Wearable Fitness Devices Worth The Money?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Feneth • Apr 10, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wearable fitness devices can be valuable to someone who has health issues [like diabetics, those with heart diseases, etc] or one who must at all times stay fit. Athletes For example can find the smart fitness devices helpful but any other Joe . . . buying [them] wearable fitness devices would be a waste of money.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it's necessary for the casual person but I'm sure it is proving to be very useful for people who are considered to be health nuts. I guess it mostly just depends on the person using it. If they are the type that could get a lot of use of all the aspects of the product then it is useful but to some who are not going to be exercising a whole lot anyway it won't get a lot of use.

3. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    Ah, that sucks to hear. I have had breathing problems in the past(none of them were asthma related, thank God)and I understand how that can go. It is hard to get back into the swing of things whenever you have not worked out in a long time, but it is needed. You have to motivate yourself to constantly work and I know that is easier said than done. I know you can lose that unwanted weight and that belly fat.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The asthma really isn't a big deal; if you can get in shape, at least in my case, not having a TERRIBLE case of asthma or anything, you won't even notice it. It's just that I'm really out of shape, so it adds up and I get windy even getting up the stairs. :X And yeah, I know. I'm going to start doing some cardio slowly, now that the weather is getting nice. I don't think I have extra weight (I'm barely 60kg), it's just that my muscles seem to be really... atrophied.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    If you think its something that can help you stay/get fit, then I think its worth the money. For some people, tracking their daily statistics can be a way to keep them on track and in a good routine. For others, they might not even follow that kind of data in which case it wouldn't be worth it to them.

I like mine and think its been a good tool to have and has helped me. Just depends if you're the kind of person who would take advantage of that kind of data.

6. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I'm fairly active. I hike, bike, and kayak. I go horseback riding a few times a month and go to the climbnasium enough that I keep a membership. My bmi is 25.8 so while I would definitely like to lose more weight, it could be worse. I hate going to the gym. I would like to tone up more but it's hard to track the calories I expend while being active outside of one and I don't want to leave myself in too much of a calorie debt. I'm also wondering if I'm staying in a good target heart rate zone the whole time I'm doing exercises like biking. I stop occasionally to check but a device that records that and keeps the record to look at later would give me more accurate information about whether I'm staying consistently in the zone.

7. AtlantaSports

Threads:
    The fact that you do not have a severe case of asthma is a great thing to hear. I understand the feeling of getting winded by just going up the stairs. It's embarrassing whenever you are around other people and they hear your heavy breathing. If you wanna increase stamina and just your overall body and well being, weights are almost a necessity.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aw man, I hoped I can get in shape without visiting the gym. I don't really have time for that (or rather, I sleep bad times, so I'm barely awake when the gym is open), and I don't really have money for that either. :V I think I'll just go running for now and see, and then think about getting a membership.

9. AtlantaSports

Threads:
    Aw dude, that really blows. Do you just not sleep well at night? Do you have a condition or a bad case of insomnia? I'm a little bit curious as to why you are not sleeping well so I could potentially help provide a solution. I work out at my school, so I get to lift and whatnot for free. Running is a very good place to start, so I think that you are on the right track.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nah, but I have to sleep at least 9 hours every day, so if I get to sleep late or can't sleep one day, I have to shift my entire sleeping schedule around, so I'm kind of perpetually sleeping during the day and awake in the night, heh. It's been like that the last few years, I don't exactly mind too much.

11. AtlantaSports

Threads:
    I understand that. Sleep, believe it or not, is actually paramount in the getting in shape routine. You have to get good sleep in order for your body to recover from the strenuous workouts that you should be putting yourself through. I would hate to be on an adjusted sleep schedule, though, so a tip of the hat to you. I don't know how I would do it.

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the only thing that's saving me is the fact that I'm a student and I only go to school once per week or so. So I can just adjust my sleep schedule accordingly over the week. I have no idea how I'm going to do it once I get a job either. Hopefully I'll improve and won't have to take 9 hours every day..

13. AtlantaSports

Threads:
    I am just curious, are you in college/university or are you still around the high school age? Because depending on your age, the sleep you aren't getting could be biting you in the butt. There are multiple studies that say that high school aged people should be getting around 10 hours of sleep in order to function at the top of their abilities.

14. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    College. I would normally not care about sleep, but I have extreme eye problems, including a very bad dry eye, so I just absolutely have to get my sleep, otherwise I can't see, have massive migraines, and increased risk of getting an inflammation that would screw me up even more..

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have to ask about fitness trackers, then the answer is no. They're not going to be worth the money for yourself. On the other hand, individuals that are serious about fitness AND want to track things automatically will love wearable fitness trackers. You don't need one to exercise effectively, but plenty of people like that peace of mind provided by a tracker.

16. AtlantaSports

Threads:
    Ah, that explains the sleep issues. Sometimes, there are days where it is really hard to sleep just because of the work load and stress that comes with college. I'm sorry about your eye. You have seen a doctor about these conditions, correct? That seems like the appropriate thing to do. You should try to get those things taken care of ASAP.