Are You A Library Patron?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by LeopardJones • Apr 17, 2015.

1. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    In this age of the Internet, it seems like visits to the public library are falling by the wayside in favor of instant gratification. So I’d love to know if any of you still visit your local libraries.

While I myself have a number of ebooks, I’ve always preferred to hold a real book in my hands. I don’t visit my local public library as often as I’d like, but I do make it a point to visit at least once a month. In fact I’ve got a handful of checked out books I need to renew. I also love browsing the aisles and sometimes picking a book on a whim, which I need to do more often.

2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    When I was still in college, I would always go to the university library and just browse books there. Instead of hanging out outside the campus, I preferred just staying inside the library and read. I really miss those days because right now, I don't have any access to a library. There are no public libraries near our place which sucks.

3. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I have a library card and wish I would go more often. I like to take my kids and get lost in books. When I was a kid I loved reading and want to share that gift with my children. We haven't been in awhile, thanks for the reminder I think I'll take them this weekend.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Inaccessibility was a problem for me until recently as well. I know the feeling. That was why I ended up accumulating so many ebooks, to tell the truth. But yeah, I’m also the type who will just sit in a library and read for as long as possible. Bookworms unite!

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    The library was like my haven during my university days. I would sometimes go to school earlier before my class just so I could go to the library first to read the morning papers. I was even mistaken for a working student since I stayed there most of the time or whenever I don't have classes.

Nowadays public libraries are becoming rare because of the internet. I´ve been told that there are few public libraries around the place where I live. I cannot wait to go there next week.

6. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I agree libraries have suffered with the dawn of the internet but due to the bad information widely found on it many are returning to the library to do their research ets. The Kindle etc have made reading novels and some other books at the library less common. There are however many people who cannot afford to buy these devices and so the library is the best option.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I visit libraries whenever I can especially when I visit somewhere new. Even though e-books are useful, there are some books you can only get in print and things like reference books are much easier to use in a library.

I think it's important to have somewhere where you can go and read and not be disturbed, because there are few places where you can do that these days with people talking loudly on their phones everywhere.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a patron of two librarys actually. They are useful for computer services if nothing else, and I do still take books out from time to time. I mostly use it for computer and printing services though. The genealogy section is very useful too, most of the stuff you can get on ancestry.com for free.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, not any more. I used to practically live in them and loved spending as much time as possible in them.

Nowadays, though, everything I need is on the internet. And sure, there are times where a real book in hand is preferred, but then I just buy the book and resell it or gift it after I'm done with it.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't go to the library anymore since I left university but I still browse at my local bookstore from time to time. I like holding physical books and also fortunately the bookstore allows people to sit down and read for a while because they also sell coffee. I admit I don't go there as often anymore these days though.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. Our local library is quite small, so I can't ever find anything I would like to read there, so I stopped using their services. I mean, sure, they have the classics, but only translated, and I absolutely despise translations if I can help it (a) it's just not the same to read a translated book and b) most translators are pretty bad..)

12. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go to the library occasionally. Much as most of the books I read these days are downloaded from sites such as guternberg, since they don't list books whose copyrights haven't expired, when I feel like reading a comic book, I head to the local library and read them there. It saves me at least $10, each time since most comic books tend to be somewhat pricey.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must admit that ever since I got my eReader, I've stopped going to the library, something I enjoy immensely. Call me weird, but I love the smell of the library, the smell of books. But I just can't seem to find the time, such is the convenience of eBooks. I might revive that "hobby" because in as much as I now favour eBooks, I do still appreciate reading an actual, physical book :)

14. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I make it a point to go to a library every now and then. I've always enjoyed going to libraries, ever since I was a child. I have a lot of books in my house, but nothing compares to going to an actual library. I don't go as frequently as I used to, or stay as long as I used to, but I still go.

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do still visit my libraries occasionally. Also, I can borrow electronically, and if the book is checked out, I can be put on a list to be notified when it becomes available. Sometimes when I have gas and not much money, I will borrow DVDs from the library, as well. Some libraries also have music and art that you can borrow, as well as offering classes on various subjects.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't own an e-reader and prefer physical books anyhow so I visit the library around once a week. Luckily, it's only a minutes walk away from my house and it's a fantastic way to read all the latest bestsellers completely free of charge.

17. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely! I love going to the library. Though reading ebooks is convenient, there is still a certain feeling of nostalgia that makes me continue to love actual books. I also love the silence in the library. :)

18. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    My husband made a point of starting to take the kids to the library once a week over a year ago, so if I'm free I go with them too. It's good for the kids to get the chance to pick new books each week, and my husband and I also read a small book series with about 3 books in it last summer and over the winter. It was a new activity for us to do together and we enjoyed it. These days we're a little busier, so we don't read together, but we still try to get the kids there every week. Our local library is small, but we have borrowing privileges at a library about 25 minutes away as well, so sometimes we go there for variety too. I think local libraries will always be around as long as books are, they might just have to charge more for the extras like video rentals, etc.

19. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I must admit I do not go to the library as often as I use to. I like to purchase books and save them for later when I have time to read them. There are so many books available at the library that I may not see online because you have to know what to look for online at the library they are there on the shelf and anything my catch my eye that I may not have given a second thought online.

20. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Library-visits are the family tradition. It will carry on to our next generation. The delight of being in a library, engrossed in a book-- one book after another, bringing home bookmarked pages, reconnecting with the world of wonders-- are one of the pleasures of life - passing on that love of books to our children.

Weekly trips to our local library are field days and great fun for the family.

#20May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015