Are you a member of a gym?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Dude • Mar 30, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I don't go to the gym, I find it's just wasting money. I have success with doing my own workout routine, and so far it's been working for me. I think people who have the money go to the gym. Times are hard and after a while that can start to get very expensive. I'm trying to cut my spending costs, so I sacrifice the luxuries and go with a more conventional approach.

2. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I am not a member of a gym but I wish that I was! We have one here that offers good deals on their memberships but I feel a bit uneasy on signing up for a contract for so long. I don't know where I will be in 2 years and I hate to have to pay for a membership that I may or may not use. I choose to exercise at home. I try to walk or job or play on my wii. I love to play Zumba and find it to be a great workout. I wish that I was a member of a gym just so I could go to an actual class!

3. Stitches

StitchesNew Member

Threads:
    I go to my University's gym, and it is no cost (actually it is supposedly included in my tuition cost). It's as big as other gyms such as Bailey's or Gold's Gym and has multiple squat racks, benches, free weight, machines, cardio equipment and even an indoor track! Does get busy though with nearly 50,000 students.

4. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    Yes! I feel like there's something missing in my life if I'm not a member of the gym! Its one of the monthly costs that more expensive does not mean better gym. I just found the perfect gym for me that gave me a student discount, so I pay $45 per month for my entire family!

5. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Of course! I am proud to say that I maintain an active membership at Lifetime Fitness. I think the whole LTF chain is awesome and a powerweight in the Gym Industry. The one I go to is especially cool, because they have so many activies like climbing, trekking, water aerobics, etc. They also have a little mini water park that I have yet to try. LTF is expensive, but its very much worth the money, because you will never grow tired of going there. They also have an excellent Cafe right in their gym!

6. xtina3907

xtina3907Member

Threads:
    I'm with you on this one! I would much rather save money and get a good workout at home. I try my hardest to workout at least 3 times a week! I did go buy some dumbbells though! They very very inexpensive. I feel I can get the same or better results working out at home when I have the time! I also don't live anywhere close to a gym so it saves me tons of money!

7. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No, I do not belong to the gym. There have been many specials etc, but I am not interested. I really prefer exercising outdoors, just breathing in that free fresh oxygen...and feeling the filtered light of the sun, while exercising is a rush of the senses. Love it so much. For me, personally, very little if anything beats activity outside.

8. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    It entirely depends upon what your goals are.

Are you looking to lose weight or are you looking to gain lean muscle mass? These are the questions one has to ask themselves before making a commitment to a specific gym and forking over tons of money.

I am a university student at the moment, so I utilize the services of the school gym. It is part of the fees we pay. So, why not use it right?!

Anyway, I think it's a total waste of money for those looking to lose weight. It's a much better idea to just go outside and chart a course to run on. There are some individuals that require the idea of fitting gym into their schedule as a motivational tool. It's quite an expensive method to encourage yourself, though!

9. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Hello i am a member of a gym for several years, because I have the passion for body building, so I need to train with weights and machines.Anyway you can get good results even doing outdoor workout like running and calisthenics.On the web is possible also find great exercises that you can do at home to build a good physique.

10. adamm

adammNew Member

Threads:
    Before I went to gym first time I had my little gym in my bed room. My bed room was quite big, so I managed to put bench barbell and dumbells in. I trained like that for about a year. Then I joined gym to see how it is and in my opinion it is much better. The atmosphere and loud music at the gym is so much better. You can talk with people too. It really depends what do you like, but I prefer gym.

11. PontusEuxinus

PontusEuxinusNew Member

Threads:
    I have been a member for close to 3 years now. I visit local community centres, because I love the value and the ability to use multiple facilities/locations with the same pass. Recently, with a corporate discount, I was able to purchase a membership for one year for just over $200CAD. I feel like this is a small price to pay, because the money is invested in my growth and development -- similar to tuition costs in some sense.

However, my dream is to have a gym in the garage of my future home. It would be so convenient to roll out of bed, put on some coffee, and to squat heavy before embarking on the adventures planned for that day.

12. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I am a member of the gym I just enrolled early this year because I think that I really need to gain weight and build muscles. I am really a skinny person and this makes me lose confidence so I decided to enroll at the gym and do some strength exercise.

The gym where I enrolled is very affordable. I pay $15 a month. Than already includes unlimited use of gym facilities and a personal trainer so it does not really hit my pocket. It has been close to 4 months and I can really see an improvement and I am happy because I get to have a good workout in a very affordable way.

13. Cheseloo

CheselooMember

Threads:
    I don't belong to pratical gym I belong to a pole dance studio, but don't knock it til you try. I've learned that strippers have to have a lot of upper body strenght and you lose lost of calories when you think you're just being sexy and having fun.

14. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I see the gyms as a way for a company to make money. I know that I would rather make my own workout and have it done that way. However, others like the competitive nature of a gym.

15. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    I go the my schools gym so I don't have to pay anything. The only down side is how crowded it gets during the school year. However during the summer it's great, I can go anytime of day and the squat rack is actually available with no one doing curls in it!

16. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    I am planning to but I still don't know a decent gym around our place. I wish I had somebody to become gym buddies with. The people around here seem to not bother with their health so I am usually left alone to become the gym nut which I don't think I am since. I wish I could enroll in a gym with martial arts programs though. That would be cool.

17. Dr23

Dr23Member

Threads:
    I'm not a member and likely never will be but I can see the argument in favor of joining one. Personally, I'd rather keep the few dollars in my pocket and do my own sort of physical activity. I also have never been a fan of the contract that most gyms seemingly beg for you to join. However, I can see where a gym would be quite useful either in the cold of winter or in the heat of summer. Some offer different classes in their package which would help soften the blow of the cost. I think I'd be more likely to join with that sort of incentive than I would be if my payment only allowed access to equipment.

18. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    I checked out a gym membership once. They wanted $30 to $40 per month, and I was pestered right from the start by musclemen who were trying to decide exactly how i should work out. That about did it for me right there. I hate the smell of those places. A good long walk in the country is just as beneficial to your cardiovascular health as anything you do in there.

19. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be a member of a gym and enjoyed going somewhere to work out for a part of the day and driving back home. I enjoy the atmosphere and the whole process of being a member. On a certain level, you are accountable to the people that expect to see you on a regular basis and I think that helps a little for people. I also have never had the amount of needed space to get the equipment that I would need and want to have for my regular workouts. The gym does.

20. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    You're a better man than I am. I'm not a gym member, but I take yoga lessons. I simply can't do it if I don't go to class. I don't remember the poses. I tried doing it from a free video, but it just doesn't work out for me. I need to be in class, with a real live human instructor.