Are you a member of a gym?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Dude • Mar 30, 2012.

1. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Been a member for a long time. reasons being> close to home, got a good offer when I joined, and it keeps me motivated.
    I am not very self-disciplined when it comes to working out on my own, so a gym does it for me. I participate in both studio classes (aerobics, step, etc) and use the machines there. I couldn't think of working out without other 'exercisers' around me!

2. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    No I am not a member of a gym. I have a treadmill, elliptical, weight bench, and a punching bag in my garage. I workout at home and exercise I do outside of my home would be jogging.

3. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been a member of a gym for several reasons. One is that we have a recreational center in my town that has an exercise room that I can visit for free. Also, I can do exercises at home and achieve similar results. Lastly, I am very slim and all I really need to do is add a little muscle and tone up a bit so I would not visit the gym enough to make it worth the money.

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I just joined a gym today! It's about a 10 to 15-minute bus ride from my apartment. It's $10 per month and it has unlimited access, state-of-the-art equipment, televisions, etc. It's a really great gym and it's very open and big. After many years, I finally made this decision to join a gym, especially because of this price, which is fantastic!

5. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I have a gym membership and I keep it because I'm loving the program of my personal trainer. So far, it gets me motivated especially when I'm really being push to what I can do. I think that's the advantage of having a trainer at the gym.

6. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I have joined Elaine Powers, Bally's Fitness Gym, and each time, I would stop going, so I wound up wasting money. I have a srationery bike and barbells. Whatever ecercise I do, I do at home. It's nice being with people and exercising. But for me, I don't continue.

7. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I like having the freedom of exercising without having others stare at me. It is more of a self-conscious sort of thing and nothing to do with money. Therefore, I do not belong to a gym. Instead, I walk 12 kilometers a day and do weights and floor exercises at home every second day. I think there are several activities you can do that do not require you to spend money to join a gym. I also prefer to workout on my own.

8. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Nope; I can do it all myself without having to leave my home. I even started downloading some of those Insanity and other type of videos just so I can have like a group workout setting without going to the gym. For the same price of the membership, I can get equipment in my home and not have to commute to a crowded gym. If I am missing anything then my work has a free gym I can use whenever I want.

9. Nethervor

NethervorNew Member

Threads:
    No, I am not a member of a gym. I've always wanted to be a member of one but my excuse was that there was actually no gym in my town.
    Now there is one, it's a very good gym but it's way too expensive for my pocket. Now that's my excuse :) .
    I try to workout at home as much as I can.

10. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Working out at a gym on a regular basis would be good for the human body. However, since it is expensive, and people usually do not have the time to stop what they are doing and go to the gym, it is more practical to work out on your own, that is why people buy home gyms like Bow Flex. Convenience is key, and fighting traffic several times a week to go to the gym is not convenient. Of course if you are rich and you do not have to work, then the gym is for you.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope!

I know I wouldn't go, even if I were paying the fee. I can't afford to do it anyway. I would much rather work out at home, use the equipment and whatnot that I have, and feel like I'm getting a good workout..... than pay for a membership and then feel guilty for not using it as often as I should.