Are You A Serial Regifter?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by SLTE • Sep 5, 2015.

1. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    These threads have popped up on here before, I know, but I'm going to ask again anyway so as to not necro something old. Do you regift stuff? Do you regift often? And if you do regift, do you have a set of rules in hand to ensure that you don't get caught, or are you shameless?

I've only regifted once. My grandmother once got me a decent orange sweater. It was okay, but it was totally not my colour. It was also waaaaay too small for me. My grandmother's not the kind of person you complain to, though, so I thanked her, did my best to put it on to show it off...

... and then, within two months, gave it away to one of my friends who is much more petite and loves the colour orange. She's happy, and my grandmother's since forgotten all about the sweater. Win win, as they'll never meet.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Making a new thread on a topic covered dozens of times is still necroing something old. :p

I don't believe in regifting things that I've received, but it's a decent way to save money, especially if the gift will help someone else, and it's not something that you have used yet or were planning to use later on. I would never regift something that I received more than a few weeks prior, and I wouldn't regift something that I've already used. Still, regifting does serve the purpose of giving someone else something that they want, and you save money in the process, so it's hard to argue.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have regifted on occasion, but it’s been pretty rare. And I’ll only do it if I’m absolutely sure the person who originally gave it to me would never find out I regifted it. This isn’t really an option for me anymore since my friends either know each other, or they have completely different interests.

The thing I do more often is swap stuff with my friends. This way we all know they’ll probably use and enjoy something more than I do, and vice versa. On occasion I do end up liking something less than I thought I would, which I’m sure happens with them too, but overall it’s yielded really good results.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually get lots of gifts during Christmas. Our wont is to recycle those gifts so they would be of use. But we are careful in recycling because it is a disaster to give it back to the giver, hahahaaa. Upon receiving, we do not take off the tag so we can know who gave it. Sometimes we recycle the gifts on the same year but there are some gifts that we recycle for the next year.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do it and I don't see anything wrong with it. I know the grifters who gave me the gift won't mind either. If I know the item was given a lot of thought and effort then I will just keep it but for the more generic gifts I don't think the grifters would mind at all. It's just more practical to just regift them since it would take effort to post it online to sell it and it's a good resource to have when you need something to gift others.

6. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Regifter? Yep. Serial regifter? Not at all. Oftentimes, many people give me gifts that don't interest me at all. I understand, since most of these people don't know me too well. I give these gifts away not because I'm frugal but because I know that others would appreciate it much better than I would.

7. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not much of a re-gifter at all. I've given away useless gifts before now but never as a Christmas or birthday gift, more of a case of "Aunty gave me this but I won't use it - could you make use of it?". I know regifting is a great way to save money but to me, it feels slightly wrong.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I've regifted items that I've received. I'm a teacher so I get a lot of body lotion, bath soap gift boxes. I will sometimes regift the Christmas gift I received from students in June to my own kids teachers. It seems a shame to just hang on to all these items that I won't use and somebody else might. I save money and the teachers' don't know any better. Who knows they could end up regifting it again.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've got one rule: if someone buys me clothes I'll give them to someone else. The only other time I'll not keep a gift is when I know it will be lying around the house because I have no use for it. Such gifts would also be given to someone else who will actually appreciate and use them.

Do you guys know people who get gifts, never open them and regift them so they won't spend any money buying gifts?

#9Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have re-gifted stuff that I knew I would never ever use. I knew some of those things cost a pretty penny, even as unsuitable as they may have been for me. So rather than waste them by either letting them collect dust in my house or binning them, I
    've given them to others as gifts or to charity. I honestly don't see any problem there. At least they've gone to a loving home. Luckily, I haven't had to do it too often, as I've rarely received presents i hated to that extend.

11. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    One of my friends does that, actually, and the only reason she admitted as much is because the gifts I buy her - which doesn't come up too often, but occasionally we celebrate her birthday - are ones that she really likes. I don't see the point of buying something just for the sake of giving a gift. If you're going to give, make it something the other person will actually value.

But yes, at any rate, she has a bit of a racket going on. Anything her family buys her for her birthday she will typically shuffle off as Christmas presents later in the year, usually to co-workers or friends. It's such a clever little scam, though I doubt the recipients are all that happy getting whatever my friend just happened to receive for her birthday.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A serial regiffer lmao!!! I have now stolen this term and will be using it throughout the rest of my life. I am somewhat of a serial regiffer. If someone buys me something that I know I'll have absolutely no use whatsoever for, the sentiment is appreciated, but there is no point in it just being there catching dust, whilst someone else in my household could be getting use out of it. Or someone else in my family.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's ok to re-gift, just make sure that the target recipient and the one that gave you the gift will never meet. When that happens though, it usually gets passed around the house first to see if anyone will want to keep or use it before it gets given to other people.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, it would be really really awkward if they were to meet. I only know a select number of people though, so most of the people that I know either know one another or know of one another lol. But I will usually give a gift that I have gotten from somebody to someone who lives in my household before I give the gift to someone like a friend.

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, yeah I've refitted a few times. The most recent is when my baby got duplicates of gifts in his birthday. So we had to give away some because it will just go to waste since we already have it. Some of these are teething toys, pillows and bottles. I think we just gave them to a friend who is about to give birth. There really was no occasion but she was happy to get them.

16. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never regifted something I've received from a love one. I don't care if it's something I'll never use, I will display it, or just keep it around because I appreciate them, and the thought it took to pick out the item. Since my loved ones know me, and I'm pretty vocal about my likes and dislikes, that hasn't happened often over the years.

I have regifted a few items, primarily those given by people I haven't known well over the years, such as acquaintances, co-workers, items received in grabs, and some from clients. If there's no emotional attachment, and I'm not going to use the gift, I don't have a problem giving it away or trading it, but I don't usually regift much, because I enjoy selecting gifts specifically for people, and regifting takes away that pleasure.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, Back home alcohol is the one that gets stocked up the most because no one drinks, but I don't think they re-gift them either. They just consume it or throw it away.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    So the people who don't drink will end up drinking it anyway, just so that it doesn't waste? Or they will throw it away? Lol. Why not just give it away? That way someone who enjoys a drink here and there will be able to enjoy it, rather than the alcohol meeting with a trashcan. It is rare that anybody buys me alcohol gifts, but if they did I'd drink it over a period of time.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @DreekLass@DreekLass, I remember the alcohol was brought to an office outing, and I have been seeing this bottle of brandy half-empty for years now and dust is piling on it, lol. I don't think they throw it in the thrash can, but I remember when I tried to drink Absolut with Sprite because my bro told me it tastes good (I didn't like it) my dad just grabbed the whole bottle from me and threw the contents in the sink.

20. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not regift. If it does not fit or is not the color I like, I exchange it. I do not want to hurt or offend, when someone has made the gesture to give me a gift.
    I will say, that is the tricky thing of receiving presents, is we often do not have a choice in it and have to just accept what we get. I throw hints a lot, to prevent this from happening.