Are you able to focus even if you home is messy?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by 003 • Dec 20, 2014.

1. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to be like that and can't focus when things are out of sort. However, after working 60-70 hours a week trying to raise three children on my own, the messiness became a part of life and I can totally ignore it and move on to a different thing. I guess we just need to know which one needs to get done first and which one can just sit!

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It doesn't really bother me. There's a diffferenece between messy and dirty and as long as the bins have been empty and the dishes have been washed, I can put up with untidiness.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I much prefer tidy, organized, uncluttered spaces, but I’ve never really noticed my focus suffering in a disorganized environment. Clutter does affect my focus, but disorganization doesn’t seem to make much of a difference. My circumstances are such that I don’t have a lot of clutter or unnecessary belongings, but I don’t have “a place for everything and everything in its place.” So things can get a little out of place, but as long as everything’s clean, I’m good.

What I have noticed is that my spaces tend to be a reflection of how things are going in my life. The more anxious I am, or the less I can be bothered, the more scattered and cluttered my spaces will tend to look. When I get fed up of it and start reorganizing, it’s a pretty good indicator that I’m getting back to something resembling normal.

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am actually fine with the messiness of our house. It has always been that way anyway, so it doesn't really bother me. I am not really that OC when it comes to things. As long as the house is not that dirty, I am okay with it.

5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I'm fine if things are messy as long it's not dirty and gross. I can deal with clean laundry in one pile and dirty laundry in another, but if it smells bad I can't handle it. I have two kids so I can't expect things to be spotless, but I do maintain my household well enough. My sister is the opposite where if the dishes are fortunate can't go to bed comfortably.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    It's not impossible to live with them, but the more the mess is left untidied, the greater it grows until it becomes overwhelming to deal with. Then it start to affect your mood. You should try and help your uncle out - at least files can be ordered with a filing system. You might be able to work out a job in helping him.

7. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    yeah that same here... Messy environment irritates me a lot and i can't concentrate anywhere.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really can't focus in a messy environment. I really can't. I have to restore some order or leave the environment. I'm not a "there's order in the chaos" type person.

I don't have to live or be in a sterile environment, but it must be orderly.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    No. Not at all. I cannot stand mess. At work, I always make sure that my table is clean because I cannot focus when there are too many things around me. This is why I always tidy up my table after every work day. I know some people who thrive on messy office spaces, but I am not one of them.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I can concentrate when my space is messy, but I really do not like to. Especially when I am working, I tend to put my work away, clean up the room, and then go back to work when it is all clean and organized. There is nothing worse than needing to jot down notes, or create a project, and not being able to find the supplies necessary to complete the task because they are buried somewhere.

The older I get, the less clutter I like in my home. The principle Feng Shui discusses that clutter promotes a fogged up mind and poor health. It is really interesting to read up on if anyone is interested.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our house is organized with the exception of my room, since I tend to just scatter my things around. I don't mind though, I can concentrate just the same. I do mind if the kitchen is dirty, since that is the area where food is stored.

12. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I cannot focus at all in a messy environment, it makes me feel stressed, unable to concentrate and annoyed. There are two kids in my house who would seemingly be content to live in a rubbish tip and it is a constant battle to keep the place tidy.

Most of my spare time seems to be taken up with tidying up after them but it is a losing battle. When i lived on my own my house was tidy and ordered, now i live in an environment of mess, clutter and chaos. If i need to find something like an important document for example i have no chance, i don't understand why people want to live like that.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mind ordered mess but actual dirt, like unwashed plates and overflowing laundry drives me to distraction. I can't concentrate at all until I've cleaned up but I can ignore superficial mess such as a pile of magazines or unsorted post. As long as things are clean, I can overlook disorder.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I function better in a tidy space. I know where things are and do not waste time looking for things that should be quick to find and use. I read that the condition of your surrounding is a sign of the condition of your mind, missy house messy mind.

15. seatones

seatonesNew Member

Threads:
    I have a really hard time working or having any peace of mind if there's a mess around me. Unfortunately, living with roommates it's often hard to get everything clean. I don't particularly want to spend my time doing other peoples dishes, but I often have to decide to do them if I want to feel comfortable. I think this is a common problem for people living together; everyone has different standards for clean. The best thing to do is at least get your own space (bedroom, car, etc.) as clean as you need and then you can spend your time in those places opposed to common areas.

16. LeopardJones

Threads:
    I have found that to be the case, at least somewhat. I don’t know if it’s the messy mind that causes the messy surroundings or vice versa, but things are definitely less tidy around me when I’m dealing with a whirlwind of emotions.

17. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I can focus or concentrate in doing things if my surrounding is messy. My brother is a very messy person, he is very busy so most of his stuffs are just lying in his table and sometimes in the sofa and I always end up picking his things because I can't tolerate it. I guess there are some who don't care about his surroundings and some who are very organized.

18. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be compulsive about having everything in place, but that's because it's how my Mom was, and it was how I grew up. I have become much less relaxed in my housekeeping these days, although messy is not the same as dirty. I like a clean house, but in some ways, I function better with clutter. When I'm making items for my shops, I do best when I'm surrounded by the components and tools, and it seems if something is across the room where it belongs, I have to keep putting down what I am doing to go get it, because I end up needing it, so when I'm going to be working, I pull anything related to the project, even things I don't think I will want or need, over onto my work space, because that way there are less interruptions.

19. RapidRaven

RapidRavenMember

Threads:
    Yep, I can focus on a task or challenge at hand even if my home is messy - messy being cluttered, not engulfed in overbearing disgusting fumes. After all, considering my realm of interests and employment are in the computer technology sector, it doesn't take that much movement or space in order to accomplish my tasks. Though, I would still prefer a cleaner room.

20. LeopardJones

Threads:
    That does make sense. I’ve often heard that for people who work on projects requiring materials etc., it’s good to have a dedicated space that can be as “cluttered” as you want. That way, the tools, materials, and anything else will be close at hand whenever you want or need to use them. I do have a space like this for my notebooks and loose papers. While it doesn’t visually appeal to me, I find it practical.