Are you addicted to Facebook?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by fancy • Nov 9, 2013.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was addicted to Facebook about one year ago, but I am growing to dislike it more and more. I still check it a few times per day and I think it's a powerful tool for free marketing purposes, but for me personally I think it's too complex about privacy for the regular person to understand it.

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I am most certainly not, I spend about 30 minutes at the most a day on Facebook and that is just me promoting my articles and sites, I rarely use it to post personal stuff anymore. My girlfriend, on the other hand, is addicted to Facebook, she spends more than the 8 hours a day the original posters stated, there have been a couple of times where we have been in bed and she has stopped proceedings to check Facebook!

3. dan213

dan213New Member

Threads:
    I always have Facebook open but mostly because my phone is connected to the profile so I get notifications. I can go without checking my Facebook and not suffer so I wouldn't say that I'm addicted. With working from home, leaving a tab open and talking to friends etc. is easier also.

4. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    No. I get sort of irritated with Facebook. I have it to keep up with certain people and to be involved in a few groups that I'm in, but I don't spend a lot of time on the site.

5. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    Wow, I find 8 hours a day usage to be rather excessive. Like a few others who posted; I'd rather not use facebook (I like my privacy) but since every man and his dog is using it then I find it hard to avoid.

Social networking is currently the thing that's everyones into so I'd better move on with the times or get left behind. Saying that, I still spend probably a few hours a month at most.

6. Example27

Example27New Member

Threads:
    Luckily enough I too am not addicted to Facebook. I do check it often but mostly when I am at home. Sometimes I do not check it for days, sometime due to disinterest or due to other business.
    However I do not know how to approach breaking free of a Facebook addiction. It's a social site and as such it can be quite vital to the social life of people. That being said try hanging out more with friends, that should somewhat prevent you from lurking on Facebook too much. But do not pull out a smartphone and start facebooking while with friends...

7. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I used to be addicted to some of the games on Facebook. I would spend way to much time playing games like Pioneer Trail and Farmville. Finally, I just had to stop. It was a huge time waster, fun and I enjoyed them very much but my house was not getting clean like it should and everything I did revolved around crops expiring and trying to get other people to send me items I needed. So, yes, at one point I was addicted, however, happily I can say I am not longer hooked. I will check it once or twice a day for my friends posts and look for silly memes, but that is about the extent of my Facebook usage now.

8. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time that I spend on Facebook is just chatting with my friends. I leave it open in the background while I do other things. I used to use it a ton, then I realized that I would be much more productive without it, so I've been phasing it out and found myself much more productive than I was previously. So no, I'm not addicted to Facebook.

9. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    About a year or so ago, I could have considered myself addicted to Facebook- but now it seems that Facebook is just a dying trend. I am waiting for the newest social media account to make it's way in and steal everyone away from Facebook. I am surprised that it has done as well as it has for this long. I just hope Facebook doesn't turn into what myspace has become.

10. Gusten

GustenNew Member

Threads:
    Sort of, I guess. I run a fanpage with a sizeable following (1,000+ likes) and I interact with lots of people across the world, which means I kind of always have a discussion or something laying around where I can chime in. But I wouldn't call myself addicted, I found that out quite quickly when I moved, lost my internet connection for a week and didn't have a single urge to borrow a mate's connection or anything to check facebook. Now PC Gaming, that's another story haha.

11. sanders89

sanders89New Member

Threads:
    I think that you are addicted to facebook, and I think that I am too. I don't spend 8 hours daily on it, but I check it a bunch of times throughout the day, and the funny thing is that there is almost never anything good that I have missed. But all the same I feel like I am missing out on something if I don't check it on and off. I think if you are really serious in your addiction than you have to cut yourself off, at least until you get control of the situation. Why don't you just delete your account for a couple weeks.

12. stardisgate

stardisgateNew Member

Threads:
    I used to be addicted to Facebook. I can happily say I am no longer addicted. I am barely on Facebook now. I go on it every so often to check up on things, and mostly to share things, but other than that, I'm off line.

13. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I barely use my facebook. i read my news feed maybe once or twice a day but thats about it. I seldom comment or like statuses and I only update my status a few times a year. I'd rather talk to people face to face than talk to them on facebook.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OP, you are definitely addicted to Facebook. If you are spending 8 hours on Facebook per day, what are you posting status updates about?
    Do your status updates say "Just spent another hour on Facebook."? Or are you lying and saying that you're out doing things? Because if you're spending 8 hours on a website, you're not doing anything during those 8 hours except sitting at a computer.

That's not healthy and you might have to see a counselor or join a support group. Do you realize how much money you could earn in 8 hours if you weren't spending all that time on Facebook?

15. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely not addicted to Facebook, I log in for maybe 10 minutes a day, just to check out what's going on and if there's something major happening, but there never is, it's mostly just pictures of babies and people commenting on sports results.

16. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not have an interest in Social media sites. I do use twitter to keep myself updated on current events, I really do not believe that I am missing out on something important. I am sure that I do not suffer from the anxiety people get because of these sites. I do not anxiously wait for alerts or anything like that, it is liberating to not have to worry about these things. My life is so much better since I have been off facebook.

17. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I still hate Facebook. Obviously if I'm trying to win a contest, I get obsessed with checking to see how I'm doing which was last night. Experiencing that little bit of anxiety, I couldn't even imagine being anxious because of these sites. I don't understand why people get obsessed with it. When I kept checking it for that contest, I found it really boring. I could never stay on there for more than 5 minutes on a normal day if even that.

18. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Nope I stopped using it ages ago. Once I realized that there isn't really anyone within my area both talking to, and that Facebook is basically seeing what everyone else does, it gets boring fast. Not to mention they're selling my data to advertising companies, which I would rather not do. Trust me, if you unfriend enough people you'll break the habit of being on there very fast.

19. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, I'm not addicted to it by any stretch but it is a bad habit, in my opinion. If I'm not careful I can overuse it. I'm a curious person by nature so I kind of like being able to see what other people are doing no matter how boring or pointless it may be. I think Facebook addiction is a real thing for some people, though.