Are you afraid to travel nowadays?

Discussion in Travel started by Jennifer • Jul 4, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I still travel. I don't have any great plans to head to the Middle East or anything, but I figure if I'm going to die, I'd like to do it doing something I enjoy. I really don't like to fly, though, so I mostly stick with places I can drive to.

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't flown ever since 2006 and I am more afraid of those full body scanners in airports than I am of terrorists taking down my plane. I am afraid of the type of health problems we can get from those scanners. I would rather go for the frisking!

3. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I am not afraid to travel nowadays. Before traveling I always check out travel.state.gov. If your traveling internationally, you could check the country you are travelling to find out information such as, embassy location, smart traveler enrollment program, visa (entry/exit) information, crimes, and etc. This would allow you to plan accordingly to the information on this site in the event of a emergency you will know where and who to go to.

4. nms1234

nms1234New Member

Threads:
    I am also not afraid to travel, but am certainly more aware when I am travelling. I go to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico, every year and it has been fairly immune to some of the scary stuff that's been happening in other parts of Mexico. However, recently there have been some incidents which may indicate that the environment might be changing. I will go back but I will be more aware, not travel far from the city center and never, ever alone.

5. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    Terrorism isn't a "natural disaster" but I get your point. ;). Your fear sounds like it's coming from too many "gloom-and-doom" news telecast reports. The world is not as dangerous a place as the television makes it out to be. You can pick anywhere in the world you want to travel, go there, enjoy yourself, and come home safely. The only reason you don't go is if you know for sure that civil unrest (war) is taking place in or near the place you want to visit. If nothing like that is going on, you really have no reason not to go. Real natural disasters happen everywhere - not just in other countries. If you have the financial means and the free time to travel, don't let Fear keep you from exploring the planet. Especially if the fear is not justifiable.

6. meryliz

merylizMember

Threads:
    I lived in Queens, New York City in the past winter and frequently visited Manhattan. With the exception of one paranoid night walking around Harlem, my fiance and I felt safe the entire time. We were told that since the terrorist attacks in 2001, the crime rates have actually decreased and there's a bigger sense of community among New Yorkers.

Larger safety precautions were more evident when we were there. I saw military personnel in the Penn station over a holiday weekend. That caught me by surprise as I come from Canada and I'm not used to seeing so many police officers at a bus or train station, let alone anyone from the military, but I felt safe knowing that if anything were to happen, there were people that can respond to the situation immediately.

7. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I had that same irrational fear for a short time. Unfortunately I live in Hawaii so the truth is if I ever want to leave this rock its most likely going to be on a plane. Statistically flying is safer than driving in a car but we dont hear about every car crash, we DO hear about every plane wreak! Maybe thats why if doesnt FEEL safer.

8. savergrl

savergrlMember

Threads:
    I had that same irrational fear for a short time. Unfortunately I live in Hawaii so the truth is if I ever want to leave this rock its most likely going to be on a plane. Statistically flying is safer than driving in a car but we dont hear about every car crash, we DO hear about every plane wreak! Maybe thats why if doesnt FEEL safer.

9. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    Not really, i love traveling. I think the thing that we need to consider when traveling is the location. If we can avoid places that are known because of terrorism or other issues then let's avoid it.

10. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    No, I am not afraid to travel. I love this. I must say it depends where you are going.
    Mostly I choose US attractions to visit like New York and other states.

11. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've never had a fear of travelling, regardless of how many plane crashes I see in the news. I always think there's a very low chance of something like that happening to me. If something does happen then it was just my time, but there's no sense in being scared of something that might or might not happen.

12. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I read somewhere that the odds of dying in a plane crash are comically low. I can't remember/find the exact stats, but they were very comforting. I'm not a big traveler personally, I only really do it to see family when it's necessary. Money is also a huge factor, it's more of a money problem than anything.

13. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I also fear terrorists or even kidnappers (thanks to the movie Taken, thanks Liam Neeson). Anyway, after I watched that movie, I was extremely afraid of traveling to France lol. Movies and their bad effects on life.:/ I think it's better if you travel first on your own country as you know the place better. Then maybe move into other countries when you are a certified traveling expert.

It's difficult to go to other countries without even a basic skill or knowledge about traveling. You have to have certain skills to truly enjoy another place. I don't think I am adventurous enough to travel Iraq or Syria. Those places are really scary right now. Well, even our country is scary at night. Every country has it's negatives. You just have to be very careful and vigilant. Do not even go if you have doubts at the beginning.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I agree with you travelling is a bit scary today then it was back in the 70's. I like to travel if I can afford it. But today with all the news going on at the U. N. going to go after ISIL and other terrorist, it might not be a good time to travel abroad. It's good to watch the news for anything new too. I love to travel, but not right now.

15. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Not at all i am not afraid of traveling nowadays. I love to travel and wanna do my dream true to explore world's all wonderful places. But I just afraid to face any type of Deceptive advertising so keep my mind alert and search a lot to book my online tour. Online bookings save my time and makes my life easy, but we need to find a good platform and need to save money from frauds.

16. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a sad thread because I was in Vietnam last weekend for a brief vacation. Our trip back home was Monday (midnight) but on Sunday, I got a call from home that my favorite dog is sick. I feel so sorry that I couldn't rush home because our plane ticket is discounted so it cannot be rebooked. So maybe I would have some apprehension when I travel again because of that experience. By the way, my dog is still in the hospital until now, suffering from diarrhea.

17. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Corzhens...! I felt very sad to know about your dog. I also had a pet cat at my home and love her so much. i could understand what would be your feelings. But thank God never fallen in such situation. Best wishes for you dog buddy.

18. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Totally depends on where you're going. Most countries I'm interested in visiting are completely safe, or at least as safe as they're likely to get in this day and age. I don't know that travelling is necessarily more dangerous now anyway - it's just that the connectedness of the world brings all the dangers to our ears with greater force and rapidity than was previously the case.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no place that's safe 100%.

However, I don't think being afraid of traveling abroad is all that bad. Too often most people don't think that visiting places they've never been in, in their country can be just as good as traveling abroad. I've done it before and it's great.

And you'll save a lot of money in the process too. All that money you'd save on flights could be used for other things.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't afford to travel, so that's one concern that I don't have to deal with, but if ever I can afford to travel one day, then I will certainly avoid going to countries or places where there is a security risk. It's better to be safe than sorry.